Re: Favorite 44 mag revolver.

I have a 6" Anaconda in brushed stainless which I got back before prices went completely nuts. It's in excellent condition, but is most definitely a shooter, and is one of my favorite guns to just take out whenever - particularly when I need a little recoil therapy. :mrgreen: Here it is with my levergun when I was doing some informal testing a couple years back:

That said, all of the Rugers and Smiths I've ever shot in .44 were fine guns, and I'd have no qualms about going with one of them.

Jim
James Downey

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ - handgun cartridge research
http://www.stcybiswell.com/ - my latest novel
http://www.legacybookbindery.com/ - my professional site

I have the Ruger Super Redhawk in 7.5 inch and the Alaskan love both recoil not to bad even with the Buffalo Bore 305 gr bullets. They do get people attention at the range especially when I shot the Alakan with the Keith loads.. It is the hand dragon spitting fire smoke and noise. The look on the guys faces that are shooting their little 9mm Glocks priceless.

Also have the Henry BibBoy in 44 mag. Sweet shooting.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

What powder do you all use?

I was looking at a Midway load map and it seemed that Unique has a huge range of applications, from 900 fps powderpuffs to 1400 thumpers.

Seemed that 240g bullets also offered the most flexibility in terms of loads.

Also, are what primers do ya'll use? Do you really need magnum primers, or do plain large pistol work ok?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:2400 seemed like a good one too. It just didn't seem to be able to get down to 44 spc loads. I was really surprised the range of loads unique supported for this round.
Although unique has mag velocity potential it is best to avoid it. The pressure spikes so quickly and it will burn up the forcing cone quickly. 2400 is very forgiving and there is a ton of proven data. H110 and 296 are also good powders and no you don't need mag primers unless you were shooting in my backyard today. It's cold outside today.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

senorgrand wrote:What powder do you all use?

I was looking at a Midway load map and it seemed that Unique has a huge range of applications, from 900 fps powderpuffs to 1400 thumpers.

Seemed that 240g bullets also offered the most flexibility in terms of loads.

Also, are what primers do ya'll use? Do you really need magnum primers, or do plain large pistol work ok?
You can look at even lower fps by using the 44 Russian loads.

I use 2400 for the magnum loads it has more flexibility than 110. I have also used The Dots Red Green and Blue.

Like using the 240 gr Keith style bullets. Always use large pistol primers no need for magnum primers.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I use Unique for very light loads, not much more felt recoil in a gun than shooting a light .22.

For full power loads I use IMR 4227. There are better Magnum powders but this one is regularly available locally and being tiny round granules, it flows very well in my powder dropper for consistent loads.

At the moment, it's all 250 grain Keiths and Large Pistol primers work just fine with either powder.

Fukshot wrote:I like Smiths and Redhawks and was quite pleased with Simmer's Alaskan.
eelj wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Maybe I need a 44mag...those 5.5" Redhawks look pretty cool.
I like mine.
Glad to see some Redhawk love in this thread, because that's what HD has settled on for her next gun.
If all goes well I should have a new range report this weekend…

My new favorite 44 Mag is an M69, 5-shot L-frame. Fits nicely into a Ruger GP100 holster... a whole lot nicer to carry than my Redhawk. Great shooter with 240-grain cast hollowpoints or Keith bullets. I'll reserve the 300-grain thumpers for the Redhawk though.

We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

senorgrand wrote:Damn, that new one is cool. Performance Center?
Not performance center. I replaced the rubber grip with one from Altamont. The trigger and action are pretty good as they are.

Oops, maybe you're asking about Beaurr's new gun.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

senorgrand wrote:Damn, that new one is cool. Performance Center?
Thank you, sir. Yes, it's a PC gun. Cannot wait to shoot it...
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:Number 2 arrived. Which is my favorite? Both! I have this thing about long barrels.... :yes:
DSC02024 (1).JPG

talk about reach out and touch someone.. damn.. no matter where you are, your always less than 7 yards from the target with those.. :lol:
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

axel wrote:My new favorite 44 Mag is an M69, 5-shot L-frame. Fits nicely into a Ruger GP100 holster... a whole lot nicer to carry than my Redhawk. Great shooter with 240-grain cast hollowpoints or Keith bullets. I'll reserve the 300-grain thumpers for the Redhawk though.

Blasphemous! A Smith and Wesson in a Ruger holster
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

TheViking wrote:I use Unique for very light loads, not much more felt recoil in a gun than shooting a light .22.

For full power loads I use IMR 4227. There are better Magnum powders but this one is regularly available locally and being tiny round granules, it flows very well in my powder dropper for consistent loads.

At the moment, it's all 250 grain Keiths and Large Pistol primers work just fine with either powder.

I like to have a nice stock of Unique around too. It seems to work pretty well for just about any pistol, and most shotgun loads. Its kind of the Do All powder. I use other powders too, like 4227 and such, but I just like the versatility of Unique.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more