Re: Ruger Super Red Hawk Toklat Special Edition

The Super Redhawk has always looked like a snubbie with a barrel extension to me. I like the looks of the standard Redhawk better.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

axel wrote:The Super Redhawk has always looked like a snubbie with a barrel extension to me. I like the looks of the standard Redhawk better.
I was originally looking at the Redhawk in .44 Magnum, but was interested in the .454 Casull since I already load .45 Colt and can use the same dies, shell plate, etc. to load .454 in my Dillon press. When I saw the slab-sided 5" barrel and unfluted cylinder, I fell in love. :love: :love: :love:

After I watched Hickok45 demo one on his YouTube channel, it was only a matter of time before I had one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll--DXOWPyA
Last edited by dcramer64 on Sun May 03, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If I were to get a 454 it might be a Super Redhawk. But since I'm already invested in 44, probably not.

Awhile back I was toying with the idea of a S&W 460 which would also give me 45 Colt and 454, but after thinking about it decided that 44 Mag is enough for me (for now anyway).
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Although I prefer SA revolvers in heavy kicking calibers the SRH is a great buy for the exotics. I think the Hogue grips are special made for the SRH and have a special insert in the back for absorbing recoil. I have loaded my BFR with five shot cylinder 45colt loads that are in the same level of performance as the casull and they really smart. I hope you post threads on reloading for it.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

While I think the GP100 is an ok looking gun (and I'm an owner now!), not that handsome but not ugly, I never warmed up to the Super Redhawk look (even though essentially it's a beefed up GP100). I think it's mostly because the barrel does not match with the rest of the frame, unlike a GP100. With the Toklat though, I must say that it looks not so bad. That kind of barrel seems to complement the rest of the frame.

KVoimakas wrote:So other than the barrel, anything special about the Toklat edition?
It's a TALO distributor exclusive. The features that set it apart from other SRH models are the slab-sided 5" barrel, un-fluted cylinder, availability in the .454 Casull cartridge, and "Toklat" engraved on the left side. It also come with two sets of sights, ramp front/square notch and bead front/v-notch rear, and scope rings.

eelj wrote:Do you have any components for reloading casull?
I already load .45 Colt so the caliber kit for my Dillon 650 will work with .454 Casull. I don't have cases yet, but have plenty of small rifle primers and pistol powders that will work. I have cast lead bullets I use for .45 Colt that will work for light loads, but nothing for full-house magnum loads. I'll be gathering that stuff up shortly. Beartooth Bullets has some good-looking hard cast/gas-checked bullets and the Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag is interesting to me as well.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bullets ... ory=22&id=

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.45 ... r-XTP-Mag/

Overall, my plan is to shoot lots of light and hot .45 Colt for fun and leave the full-power loads for carrying when hunting. Of course I'll have to shoot some for practice to get used to the recoil and make sight adjustments. I'm really looking forward to the versatility this revolver/cartridge combo will provide...it can be loaded from 350 ft-lbs of energy all the way up to 2000 ft-lbs.

I already load .45 Colt so the caliber kit for my Dillon 650 will work with .454 Casull. I don't have cases yet, but have plenty of small rifle primers and pistol powders that will work. I have cast lead bullets I use for .45 Colt that will work for light loads, but nothing for full-house magnum loads. I'll be gathering that stuff up shortly.
Just get some tungsten bullets for a little harder hitting Casull loads. :clap:

KVoimakas wrote:

I already load .45 Colt so the caliber kit for my Dillon 650 will work with .454 Casull. I don't have cases yet, but have plenty of small rifle primers and pistol powders that will work. I have cast lead bullets I use for .45 Colt that will work for light loads, but nothing for full-house magnum loads. I'll be gathering that stuff up shortly.
Just get some tungsten bullets for a little harder hitting Casull loads. :clap:
I was really hoping to get my hands on some depleted uranium. You never know when the elk are going to upgrade their armor... :smart:

The gun gods giveth and the gun gods taketh away...

The SRH was delivered to my FFL's shop a day early. Filled out the online background check info and discovered my driver's license expired about a week ago. Tried to renew it online and the state's online service center is down for system maintenance. SOL for today...

And so goes “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men..." Tomorrow is another day. :sad: