Re: Planning on a 380.

The only 380 I've tried from your first list is the Ruger LCP. If you include the sublist, I have tried a Kahr p380 as well. Both those pistols are actually ok in terms of not having the blowback snap (since they're both short recoil operated), but because they are small, the recoil itself is somewhat hefty. I did not fancy the LCP that much because the trigger had a "fake" reset, as well as it having a very long trigger pull. The slide also doesn't lock back on the last round, which I found annoying. The Kahr was more preferable as it had a pretty smooth (But still long) trigger pull. Both these guns will require lots of practice to master -- I rented them and was hitting all over the place at 7 yards.

I do also own a Beretta 84FS and a Sig P238. The P238 is a great shooter and has a great trigger, but I find that it's somewhat finicky with ammo. It is also a gun you really have to master. Even after 6 months of ownership, my groups are still somewhat wide at 7 yards. I suppose it's good enough for a self defense situation, but I would prefer to see some fist sized groups at most =). I didn't really like shooting my 84FS at first because it had blowback bite, but I've become accustomed to it and it's actually not bad of a shooter these days -- definitely more accurate for me than my tiny p238.

Well I guess the best thing you can do is try to rent out the guns on your list and see which one feels best and shoots good for you. With any small guns, you'll have to practice a lot to get them to shoot decent groups.

Agreed on the group size with the pocket pistols. Lot's and lot's of practice. I'm still trying to get mine down to a respectable size regularly. I'm actually thinking about one of the Kahr 9mm pocket pistols since it's still on roster- but it's also a bit on the spendy side.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Stiff wrote:I have the bodyguard 380 and I like it.

Pros:
1. True double action only, the hammer drops every time you pull the trigger.
2. Real adjustable and replaceable sights.
3. Firing pin block. The firing pin can't move until the trigger is pulled.
4. Manual safety.
5. Stainless steel slide. Sweat doesn't rust it.
6. Slightly heavier than other pocket 380's, which makes it a bit more controllable, but not too heavy to be pocketable.
7. Quite reliable if fed the right ammo.
8. Available with built-in Crimson Trace laser.
9. Magguts kits are available for +1 ammo capacity in the mag.

Cons:
1. Heavy 7.5 lbs trigger.
2. Must test ammo to see if it will run reliably. Absolutely hates steel case.
3. Has a history of hammer light-strike. Very rarely happens to mine, and only with certain brands of ammo.
Can confirm. Its a nice little gun to hide and I like the manual safety. But my wife...she HATES it because of the trigger pull.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Went to a gun store and handed a Taurus TCP, a LCP custom, 3AT with a belt clip and a laser and a bodyguard.
I was very surprised by the trigger on the TCP and have decided to get it with the stainless steel slide.
Also it felt the best in the hand.
And if someone is wondering about the safety on the bodyguard I think it's safe to say it will not engage or disengage by an accident.

lsj74 wrote:Went to a gun store and handed a Taurus TCP, a LCP custom, 3AT with a belt clip and a laser and a bodyguard.
I was very surprised by the trigger on the TCP and have decided to get it with the stainless steel slide.
Also it felt the best in the hand.
And if someone is wondering about the safety on the bodyguard I think it's safe to say it will not engage or disengage by an accident.
Good choice! The trigger on the TCP has a hole on the top, you can see it when you remove the slide. Put a dab of grease down there and it'll be even smoother.

I got it and took. It to the range and ran 50 rounds through it.
For the first three or four magazines it ran perfectly but then the slide started locking back randomly.
There is a video on youtube that addresses this and how to fix it and I'll be looking more closely at it this weekend.
I was surprised by how well it handled. I have shot a LCP and I remember it being pretty snappy but the TCP wasn't. I was able to shoot it one handed without any problems.
Now I need to find a holster.

I'll add a vote for the Kahr P380. It's a bit spendy compared to some others, but it's a quality piece. Though it is tiny, I find it easy to shoot with much less recoil than my G26; being pleasant to shoot, I get more range time on it - important for a carry gun. The trigger is long but smooth. It's double-action only, which I also prefer in a carry gun.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

I always advocate for the Walther PPK/s.

It has a snap with the recoil, but it is reliable, compact, designed for use as a concealed weapon, and has stood up well over the 70 some years the design has been produced. It's design has been copied by Bersa and Sig Saur. It has a smooth contour which the Glock design does not have.

It has a simple take down mechanism.

It also has a positive manual safety that blocks the firing pin, and is a DA/SA.

And it's purdy!
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

Thunderbird wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the Colt Mustang. More streamlined than the p238, which is almost its clone, and very nice to shoot.
The new Mustang is kinda expensive for what it is, I'd rather have the SIG if I have a choice.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

This is the only .380 I have left:

although I'm thinking about getting a Glock 42, which you might want to consider. They fit in a pocket if you like and are supposed to be soft shooting (for their size).

Funny thing about this Colt, The ergonomics are great, but it's 'snappier' than my Sig 938. I immediately thought "recoil spring" and got a 12 lb. spring from Wolff, (factory is 11lb, or so I'm told), But with the new spring in place it turned into a jammomatic. apparently the slide was cycling too fast for the empty to clear the ejection port. I put the original spring back in, but haven't gotten it to the range to play with it any more since. :headscratch:

Catalyst wrote:
Stiff wrote:I have the bodyguard 380 and I like it.

Pros:
1. True double action only, the hammer drops every time you pull the trigger.
2. Real adjustable and replaceable sights.
3. Firing pin block. The firing pin can't move until the trigger is pulled.
4. Manual safety.
5. Stainless steel slide. Sweat doesn't rust it.
6. Slightly heavier than other pocket 380's, which makes it a bit more controllable, but not too heavy to be pocketable.
7. Quite reliable if fed the right ammo.
8. Available with built-in Crimson Trace laser.
9. Magguts kits are available for +1 ammo capacity in the mag.

Cons:
1. Heavy 7.5 lbs trigger.
2. Must test ammo to see if it will run reliably. Absolutely hates steel case.
3. Has a history of hammer light-strike. Very rarely happens to mine, and only with certain brands of ammo.
Can confirm. Its a nice little gun to hide and I like the manual safety. But my wife...she HATES it because of the trigger pull.
I love my little SWBG, my wife hates it. I'll say I never had any issues with feeding, but I never used any steelcase ammo. I used a little polish and my dremmel to clean up the feed ramp, because I had once heard that the Critical duty polymer tipped rounds were getting stuck and not loading properly. So, it never had the chance to be fired without the polish job.

It is a snappy little bastardo, but all polymer pocket guns are. It's not a range toy. I have a P226 for that...
E pluribus unum

We have shot every .380 out there looking for a gun for my Wife. I mean *every* .380 we could rent, borrow, or commonly buy. My opinion mirrored by my Wife who carries a Glock G42 or my Colt Pocket Hammerless in .32:

The LCP is awesome but generally kicks like a Mule.
Ditto the S&W Bodyguard .380
The softest shooting .380 pocket gun is the G42 but it is not a teeny tiny pistol.
The Sig P238 was a very close second - fairly mild, very accurate, but heavy and spendy.
The Walther PPK/s is classic and classy - can kick a bit and bite the hand that holds it (slide bite)

Here's a long but excellent video of women testing various .380's and I find it to be about the most accurate video I have seen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7nWBMIeIXI

My pocket gun is a Beretta Pico and with the exception of the G42 it is a very mild shooter - I cannot recommend it for anyone but the purely determined and expert shooter. Over sprung and overbuilt...folks with enough hand strength to rack/load it have hands too big to deal with the teeny size and can't get the trigger under control. Long DAO pull that I personally love but it ain't for sissies. Very thin, very well built, very soft shooting - very extreme and hard to shoot and load. An acquired taste...

It does have real sights and locks back on the last round.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Walther PK380 has a soft recoil. It is a bit blocky, a bit larger than a PPK/S. But easy to use. Reviewers have called it a woman's'so gun because of the soft recoil and easy controllability. The slide isn't too stiff, which makes it good for those with weak hands or arthritis.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

sturner wrote:Walther PK380 has a soft recoil. It is a bit blocky, a bit larger than a PPK/S. But easy to use. Reviewers have called it a woman's'so gun because of the soft recoil and easy controllability. The slide isn't too stiff, which makes it good for those with weak hands or arthritis.
Got one for my wife because she has reduced hand strength (she has MS) its one of the few semis she can easily rack. Soft shooting, and pretty accurate, trigger isn't bad either. I don't much care for the lack of a slide release and the way you reassemble it (fuck that guide rod) but then again it's not my gun. ;p

I have one of the early Ruger LCP's. It immediately got recalled and fixed for a 'goes off when dropped' issue. I rarely carry it. It's too small for my hands, and has a very low front sight. The sight line is very dark, and in low light is difficult for my old eyes to be confident with. Also had a S&W manufactured Walther PPK/S. Great gun, reliable accurate, but heavy, and machined edges were sharp. Especially around the trigger guard and the safety lever, which could and did cut my hand when pulling the slide back. A lighter recoil spring helped with that. I traded the Walther PPK/S for a Walther PK380. It's slightly larger, but much lighter and easier to use. It's just as accurate. Some think it's a woman's gun. I doubt it would matter to an assailant getting shot with it. I love it.
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

OK here it is.
I went for the stainless because it's suppose to be more resistant to corrosion and you get 2 magazines with it. The stainless will cost you a little bit more but $272 out the door is not bad.
How ever you no longer get the nice plastic case and the Bulldog holster with it. Now you get a cardboard box and and bags made from some micro fiber or plush like material.
As I said before I had some issues with the slide locking back randomly and I found out that it was the bullets hitting the slide catch as they came up from the magazine. Two minutes with a Dremmel tool grinding and reshaping the tab that hits the magazine floor plate to a little angle fixed the issue.
I can honestly say I like this little gun.
Attachments
The little tab I had to reshape.
The little tab I had to reshape.
IMG_20150913_002111.jpg
IMG_20150913_002226.jpg