Re: Charter Pitbull .45acp

ZenShot wrote:I like the concept - a big bore revolver that you can conceal easily and find ammo for.
And I have had good experience with Charter Arms current models.
Hi fellow Texan! Drop by the intro section and let us know a bit about yourself. Welcome.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Simmer down wrote:http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

Look at the chart for the impact of barrel length. The charter is 2.5". A full size 1911 is 5"
Also look at their study of the effect of the cylinder gap. It's significant, although not so much for snubbies. In mid-length barrels, it looks like revolvers really need their advantage in case length/capacity to make up for this.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/gaptests.html
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I like the 45 acp pitbull, but I really want to the 40 S&W version. Actually, I want them both, but the 40 first, if I can find it and afford it when I do. :clap2:
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Bisbee wrote:
WilsonLNU wrote:
Bisbee wrote:This is neither an elegant nor particularly effective solution to the problem as those small hands appear a magnet for dirt and they generally just get in the way when loading each round and punching out the empties (added friction). I'd much rather use the moonclips for faster reloads when actually shooting. Anyone here own one of these to share with us the shootability of the Pitpull cylinder design?
Huh. I've never used one, but when I saw an article somewhere on it's introduction, I really gravitated to the Pitbull design. I like the idea of sharing pistol ammo without an extra part (moonclips) to get lost.

Welp, maybe this will prove to be just the beta for a version that works better in the real world.
With regard to losing moonclips, really they aren't easy to lose unless you keep components & ammo apart from the gun on a regular basis. 5 rounds loaded in a moonclip are shaped like balls and are easy enough to carry or keep on the top shelf in a safe. You can actually fire live rounds without the moonclip in a pinch... you'd just have more problems extracting the spent casings quickly and the primer strikes are maybe 95% reliable, which isn't great for personal defense.

Really, the questions becomes whether you choose to send time reloading several moonclips before you shoot (like one does pistol magazines) or opt for slower, possibly finicky, reloading after every 5 shots.
I have moonclips for my 9mm Ruger SP-101. Never got around to buying them for the Ruger Speed Six 9mm, so I shoot it without the moonclips. That's why I keep a chopstick in my range bag - for poking the brass out of the cylinder. :)