anyone have an engraver?

Ok, first off if you want more than I can afford , dont feel bad, you doing it for income, and I lack income being a gimp but I will ask .

I have a 45 colt that my dad cut down to a 4.5 , 6 round mag , version after seeing one in an old 1970s gun magazine. It turned out really well and shoots great. He gave it to me many years ago as a gift, and I have been wanting to get Wild Bill ,or Bill's , engraved in calligraphy on the sides, but would settle for just one side.

I could probably go as much as $100 for it.

If this is in the wrong place please notify me and or move it if you have the ability.

Thank you

Dan
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: anyone have an engraver?

There are at least two ways to get done what you want. One is to use those horrible vibrating pens folks use to put their ss number on their hammers. The best way is to call a jewelry store; you'll ask them if they do "hand engraving." Best of luck.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I used to build jewelry as a hobby and did a little engraving. Softer metals like gold, silver, and copper are difficult enough - I wouldn't even think of trying it on any steel object of any value. It is not a rapidly acquired skill, even for a very talented person.

If the gun's important to you, hire it done. Or spend $$$$ on gear, take it up as a new hobby, and learn on junk before you go at your Dad's Colt.

"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Hi Dandad

You could try something like what Lone Wolf does:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156322

Claims it starts at $75. I know they specialize in glocks, but below you see they also engrave knives, so it might be worth it to ask if you could send in your gun (or just the slide if that's your thing). And I'm sure lonewolf is not the only one doing engraving.

The only thing I'd make sure to ask is if what you're getting for the price is just an etching (which is like a tattoo on your gun) or an actual engraving. The fear is that engraving will jack the price up a lot more, because the laser has to work much harder to cut into the metal.

pdoggeth wrote:Hi Dandad

You could try something like what Lone Wolf does:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156322

Claims it starts at $75. I know they specialize in glocks, but below you see they also engrave knives, so it might be worth it to ask if you could send in your gun (or just the slide if that's your thing). And I'm sure lonewolf is not the only one doing engraving.

The only thing I'd make sure to ask is if what you're getting for the price is just an etching (which is like a tattoo on your gun) or an actual engraving. The fear is that engraving will jack the price up a lot more, because the laser has to work much harder to cut into the metal.
never considered laser etching. that would work too. I will have to check on that.

I tried some of the local jewelers, some who I am even friends with. They dont want to do steel. Its hard on their tools. I can understand that.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

SwampGrouch wrote:I used to build jewelry as a hobby and did a little engraving. Softer metals like gold, silver, and copper are difficult enough - I wouldn't even think of trying it on any steel object of any value. It is not a rapidly acquired skill, even for a very talented person.

If the gun's important to you, hire it done. Or spend $$$$ on gear, take it up as a new hobby, and learn on junk before you go at your Dad's Colt.

I use to partake in jewelry as a hobby too. I tried to go a little further, even have a GIA graduate Gemologist degree, but alas, I am not pretty enough for the field. :lol: I have some of the GRS equipment in the video too. They are really handy for all kinds of things at the work bench, gun work included.

There is one guy in Frankfort Illinois , which is on the way to my dads place, but he is a "pro" gun engraver, does museum pieces and stuff. Besides being way to expensive for my budget, he is backlogged about 2 years last time I talked to him.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

just in case anyone is interested. I found a place in Fenton Missouri, about 20 minutes from me , that does laser engraving on guns. He said he could put just about anything I wanted on both sides of the slide for $70.. And problem solved!

Thanks guys, I never even thought of laser engraving. :thumbup:
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more