Pretty Sure I Need a Little 22 Wheelgun...Thoughts?

I have really been enjoying shooting my two revolvers. Something about their clockwork mechanism really appeals to me.

I have a stash of 22lr and would like to buy a little revolver to shoot some of it. I really enjoyed the NAA mini revolver I used to own. If I could have hit anything with it, I would have kept it. That little gun made 22 exciting again!

I'm thinking of getting one of three mini revolvers.

Ruger Bearcat
I held one and like it a lot. It's beautiful and looks like a lot of fun. Sights are slightly better than the old Bounty Hunter I used to have.

The NAA Earl
Qu'est-ce que c'est "sexy?" :) Apparently pretty damn accurate for a mousegun. Plus, it will shoot 22 mags too.

NAA Mini Master
Maybe the least sexy, but maybe most practical. Great sights and a covertible to boot.

BTW, I'm not considering anything with a barrel shorter than 4" because of dumb CA laws. Also, only thinking single action right now.

Thoughts?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Pretty Sure I Need a Little 22 Wheelgun...Thoughts?

Yose Senor

I happened to get a bearcat last year, so I'll give you my impressions.

It's definitely kind of small, that not as small as that NAA! Haven't held the NAA, but I've seen it at my LGS before. Back to bearcat: So I shot this with my daughter and also other newbie shooters before. It's actually a great size for kids, so if you have any , they'll feel right at home shooting it. For us adults (and for giants like you) while the gun is small, it's not uncomfortable to hold and shoot with. You'll find that it still feels good in your hands... well at least for me, I have medium hands. If you've held it at your LGS and liked it, then it should pass the test.

My version has the adjustable sights, I forgot if all models have it. But that helps if you want to fine tune it to certain 22 ammo. Having never fired any other single action guns before, for me cocking the hammer felt like it takes more effort than it should. This might smooth out after hundreds of rounds, but it just felt slightly stiff. There is a transfer bar safety so you can load up all 6 in the cylinder. That's the other thing I like -- since it's a revolver it isn't picky on 22 ammo, and I guess you can even use 22 short. I forget if there are conversion cylinders or not to use 22 magnum, you'll have to look into that.

So anyways, I think it's a great gun for kids and because it's single action they'll not go through ammo so fast. This way they can learn the fundamentals of shooting. The only thing I didn't like, to state again, is the stiffness of the hammer (it could just be me), and also it is more expensive than other single action 22s out there. But it's so purdy and shiny =)

S&W Model 17-2, the king of 22LR revolvers (stems from the old K-22) Nice blued steel with double action (very, very heavy pull). I am sure the Rugers are nice, but a Smith is a Smith and my Model 17 has been super. It is both a carry and target gun - searingly accurate.

The Model 617 is also super duper, fires enough rounds (10) to make you think it is an automatic and it is stainless.

Ruger Single Six was my *very* first personal purchase...I do love wheel guns. Sold the Single Six many years ago - now my .22 wheel gun is a 70's Bearcat. Don't shoot it much but I love it a lot. :)

I have owned NAM mini revolvers thru out my handgun fancy and like them as a pocket/past ditch option but they are pretty tiny and specialized to be fun for me now. Nice guns but not in my collection.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.