Re: Colt Python alternatives

Mustang wrote:It would be difficult to improve on the S&W L frame for your purposes.

I've got a 6" 586 that is a great shooter. Stainless is good, but unless you intend to carry the gun, probably no great improvement over blue steel.

If you intend to shoot a lot of .357, I would shy away from the K frames (S&W Model 19/66 and Model 13/65's). They are perfectly safe with .357 rounds and are good guns, especially for carry, but were not designed for a steady diet of .357 rounds. If you only expect to shoot .357's occasionally, they would be fine.

One other possibility, if you are willing to consider used, is a S&W model 28. The S&W N frame is built like a tank.
I agree with all of the above post, (I now have an 80's 4" 586, as well as a 6", and they are my favorite S&W revolvers). If you plan on carrying a Model 27 or 28, or packing it in the woods, etc., be forewarned, they are great guns but heavy revolvers to carry. Years ago, I had a Model 28, but much preferred the 586-686 guns when they came out. They came out early 80's and were a compromise between the Model 19-66 size and the N frame 27-28's. At one time or another, I had all 3, and my definite personal favorites were the 586's. Next was the Model 19. The way I understood it, the model 19 was designed as a lighter 357 alternative than the N-frames for officers who had to wear the damn thing all day. In the end, you can't really go wrong with any of the 3 models/sizes, they're all well made, good shooting, high quality revolvers.

I owned a Python in the early 80's and a new Dan Wesson at the same time. I'll take the Dan Wesson as a shooter....as a collectible you can't beat a Python but IMO a Dan Wesson 15-2VH on the range or in a holster is every bit the gun a Colt Python was/is.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I would vote for the pre-MK III Colt Trooper or even the Colt 357 Magnum. Both could be had with the 6" barrel as well as the 4" barrel. I own a pre-war (WWII) Colt Officer Model Target with the 6" heavy tapered barrel. The action on the OM Target is easily the equal of the Python - if not better. The pre-war OM's were hand-honed just like the Python. Keep us appraised and have fun in your search.
I type therefore I am

Checkman wrote:I would vote for the pre-MK III Colt Trooper or even the Colt 357 Magnum. Both could be had with the 6" barrel as well as the 4" barrel. I own a pre-war (WWII) Colt Officer Model Target with the 6" heavy tapered barrel. The action on the OM Target is easily the equal of the Python - if not better. The pre-war OM's were hand-honed just like the Python. Keep us appraised and have fun in your search.
Seconded. Prices are still reasonable. Craftmanship included at no extra cost. :)
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Checkman wrote:
senorgrand wrote:If you want a good revolver, buy a 686. Or a 686 plus. ;)

If you NEED a Colt, no S&W is going to scratch that itch.
Yep that's a fact.
I don't NEED to spend a princely sum for an arguable equivalent.

There's an LGS that has a used Ruger GP100 6" (blued, not stainless) for $500 + 3 moon clips and a holster. Might jump on that, although I really do want a 686 in stainless. :hmmm:
LGC Texas - Vice President

senorgrand wrote:I have a Smith and a Ruger.

After replacing the springs and adjusting the trigger, the Smith has an insanely-great double action pull. Single action breaks super clean. No comparison to the Ruger.

Now, if you want to do wildcat reloads, the Ruger can't be beat.
Around the interwebs, I'm seeing a lot of finesse (Smith) vs. durability (Ruger) arguments. I've heard the timing of the cylinder could be an issue with Smiths when factoring regular-heavy use, whereas the Ruger is pretty much a tank and will handle anything like a champ even after being tossed around a backpack for 20 miles.

I've also been reading that for a song, you can pretty much home-smith the Ruger trigger assembly to something that is as good or better than any Smith.

I have a 6" Python from 1967 and a 4" S&W 66 from the early 70's. After doing a little work on the action, I found I liked and could shoot the 66 a little better. Assuming you are like most folks, and will only shoot full .357 loads occasionally, a 66 will last forever. As far as I am concerned a vent rib on a handgun is only decoration.

Sonofagun wrote:Holy Shit. I just looked up Colt Python. The wood grips alone are 500 clams.
If they're from the fifties you bet. About three years ago I had wood Python grips from the 1970's and I sold those for $125.00. I though I was making like a bandit, but the man who purchased them said he was willing to go as high as $175.00! He thought I was a great guy for not gouging him. The Colt snake revolvers and anything connected to them are going for ridiculous amounts.
I type therefore I am

If you decide to do the SMOLT thing, I have a 4" stainless Python barrel for sale.

As for an alternative to the Python, look for an original Trooper. It's the same frame as a Python, so SMOOTH and extremely robust .357.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Smith 686 vs GP 100: (Previously "Colt Python alternativ

Well, six months and some further developments leads me back to this discussion.

Still debating 686 vs. GP100 (although 6" barrel is my preferred length of choice).

I'll be getting into the reloading scene that all the cool kids are apparently doing these days and know that the Ruger is preferred brand when rolling your own.

Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks? Wait...that's usually expected. Snide thoughts or snide comments?

***EDIT***

Why has it taken me this long to not see the Ruger SP101 with 5" Barrel?

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/spe ... /5771.html

atxgunguy wrote:Well, six months and some further developments leads me back to this discussion.

Still debating 686 vs. GP100 (although 6" barrel is my preferred length of choice).

I'll be getting into the reloading scene that all the cool kids are apparently doing these days and know that the Ruger is preferred brand when rolling your own.

Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks? Wait...that's usually expected. Snide thoughts or snide comments?

***EDIT***

I won't knock the Rutgers had a Security Six with a 6" barrel years ago still kicking myself for selling it. Have a 686plus in a 6" and 3" and love them they are smooth and just what you would expect from Smith. Saying that we have had discussions on the board about the QA of some S&W Revolvers. I have the Ruger SRH and Alaskan that have the same action as the GP100 they are not as smooth out of the box as a Smith but good and gets better with use. They use a two spring action and you can get a kit to change spring to what you want. I tried the lighter hammer spring with the 44 mag and had problems with hard primers went back to factory no problems. Did keep the lightest trigger spring and in single action really helped.

I do like the fact of 686 plus having 7 rounds.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: SW686 v GP100 v SP101 (Prev. "Colt Python alternatives")

I vote always for the 686. Having larger hands the smith fit me better.

I have had the same 686 since 1985 flame cut the top strap and have tried very hard to tear it up (Duty Gun followed by hunting companion) It is more than stout enough even when working up Bear Defense loads when i did not know any better. This gun has stayed smooth and accurate through every stupid thing i did to it.

I had security six and can agree the Ruger is probably stouter, just how much stouter is a debate for others to have. I keep the Smith for my wife to have when I am travelling. I know it is going to go bang six times if called on with no worries.

The best thing I can advise is how it feels and how you feel about either. I seriously doubt you will ever find a limitation of one over the other. They keep selling both because they are damn fine revolvers. In this plastic fantastic gun time we live in that is saying something.
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

I agree on the L frame and the SecuritySix are about the same in rugged use. The GP 100 maybe a little stouter but no enough to make any difference in what you shootnin a 357 magnum. The grips are different Ruger grips on the GP 100 like the Security Six are to small for my paws. When I had the Security Six I put the bigger Pachmyers on it made all the difference in the world. Now on my 686 plus 3" I swapped the standard S&W grips for a set of Uncle Mike's grip that are smaller with a round butt for better CCW. Still feels great to shoot.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Queen wrote:I keep trying to push thoughts of the 686 Plus out of my consciousness, I already spent a years gun budget in two months I don't have any left... unless I ditch the Glock and go back to revolvers almost exclusively! :tongue:
Yes, I'm also torn at the price tag on the 686. Buy once, cry once? There's some irony in that if I splurge on a 686, it will definitely delay my reloading press set-up, which is one the reasons I wanted a .357. I also have the psychological barrier of $700 OTD for any gun.

As for grips. I definitely like the bog-standard on the GP100...feels grippier? While I love the aesthetics of wooden grips, they tend to get very slippy in Texas heat, which is apparent for roughly 8-9 months out of the year down here.

atxgunguy wrote:Well, six months and some further developments leads me back to this discussion.

***EDIT***

If you want to shoot .357, you should go with the GP100 for its mass. I have it.

This is just an excuse to post another pic of my GP. I shoot it well. It fits me well. I load for it. I find it points quite naturally for me. It's heavy. It should be carried in a shoulder holster.

Those are LSWC in there, but JHP on the leaf. I use 158 gr JHP for PD. You gotta go JHP when facing Swiss chard, man. Take it from me.

Senorgrand is correct, though, if you're after a Colt, no other gun will do. You'll be outshot and underspent, but you'll have a Colt. :wave:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

***EDIT***

Nothing snide here, BUT! I do have the GP 100 w/ 5" barrel and I like it a lot. I've seen the SP 101 w/ 5" barrel, too, but the proportions seem wrong to me. I've got the SP 101 with 3" barrel and I think it wears that perfectly.

Looks like we'll be getting into reloading at the same time; I'm in research mode now and will be gearing up soon. For rifle first (6.5 x 55) but for .38/.357 and .45 later on.

Re 686 vs. GP100 that's easy... get both! ;) (TBH, I compare that to my Brooks Brothers blazer and my Carhartt work coat. (Smith vs. Ruger, I'm thinking here) I do so love the blazer, but I put on the work coat every damn day. Just need to create more opportunities to step out, I guess. :)

EDIT: The Hogue grips that my GP came dressed in are quite grippy.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

CDFingers wrote: If you want to shoot .357, you should go with the GP100 for its mass. I have it.

This is just an excuse to post another pic of my GP. I shoot it well. It fits me well. I load for it. I find it points quite naturally for me. It's heavy. It should be carried in a shoulder holster.

Those are LSWC in there, but JHP on the leaf. I use 158 gr JHP for PD. You gotta go JHP when facing Swiss chard, man. Take it from me.

Senorgrand is correct, though, if you're after a Colt, no other gun will do. You'll be outshot and underspent, but you'll have a Colt. :wave:

CDFingers
No excuse needed. That is a damn fine looking wheelgun! :thumbup:

Colt Python is out of the question. I've seen a few for sale as of late and I don't think I've spent as much on my last five guns as I would for a Python. Like a vintage Ferrari, I'd just want to stare at it and never take it for a spin.

The Ruger GP100 is pretty much the best balance of durability and price, along with the fact that I wouldn't feel so guilty about running several hundred rounds in one trip to the range. At some point when I've paid off the house and don't know what to spend my money on, I'll either get that Python or just one of them fancy Smiths. ;)

This weekend looks good for Ruger huntin'

Bacchus wrote:

***EDIT***

Nothing snide here, BUT! I do have the GP 100 w/ 5" barrel and I like it a lot. I've seen the SP 101 w/ 5" barrel, too, but the proportions seem wrong to me. I've got the SP 101 with 3" barrel and I think it wears that perfectly.

Looks like we'll be getting into reloading at the same time; I'm in research mode now and will be gearing up soon. For rifle first (6.5 x 55) but for .38/.357 and .45 later on.

Re 686 vs. GP100 that's easy... get both! ;) (TBH, I compare that to my Brooks Brothers blazer and my Carhartt work coat. (Smith vs. Ruger, I'm thinking here) I do so love the blazer, but I put on the work coat every damn day. Just need to create more opportunities to step out, I guess. :)

EDIT: The Hogue grips that my GP came dressed in are quite grippy.
For those getting into reloading. If you're reloading for 38/357 and you only own a 357 there is no need to get 38 brass just use the 357 brass and save yourself the trouble of cleaning off the carbon ring in the cylinder. I buy the plastic ammo boxes and then put a label on it that says what power and load and what bullet and weight. So I can keep them separate.