Original AMT Backup 45 acp. HOW can I reduce trigger pull?

I have had my AMT backup for a coupled decades and the trigger pull weight is almost as bad as the guns total weight which can pull down most pants even with the best of belts worn. [The AMT long slide is even worse in weight but better on trigger pull.] Besides the overall weight of this little gun, and the outrageous trigger pull, this gun has always been accurate as heck, and super reliable, shooting anything I have fed into its little chamber. Lead, FMJ, hallow, it eats it all and smiles..

Has anyone ever heard of, or accomplished a safe, successful reduction of trigger pull? I have stoned and polished, and experimented with different springs and spring lengths. Spring seems to be no good, as even cutting one coil off the standard spring reduces the hammer effect on the firing pin enough to not allow reliable and constant fire. With polishing and stoning I was able to reduce trigger pull from the factory 17 lbs to just under 14 lbs. , but that is still ridiculous. If maybe I could get it down to at least 10lbs I would be happy.

Any ideas?
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Original AMT Backup 45 acp. HOW can I reduce trigger pul

That's the DAO version you have? Inherent problem with small guns, since the parts have to be smaller, you'll have less leverage and with a light hammer with a shorter stroke, you need a stiffer main spring to reliably ignite primers :(

Only so much you can do. If you're shooting reloads, you could try the lighter main spring and Federal primers, they are softer and more sensitive than most. Same should be true for Federal factory ammo.

TheViking wrote:That's the DAO version you have? Inherent problem with small guns, since the parts have to be smaller, you'll have less leverage and with a light hammer with a shorter stroke, you need a stiffer main spring to reliably ignite primers :(

Only so much you can do. If you're shooting reloads, you could try the lighter main spring and Federal primers, they are softer and more sensitive than most. Same should be true for Federal factory ammo.
Yeah but I would like to have the ability to shoot factory ammo for when i use it for ccw, or just have too. But as my granny use to tell us as kids when we ask for things. "Wish in one hand , shit in the other. Now see which one fills up first"

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Marlene wrote:That's one of those problems best solved by removing and replacing the loose nut behind the trigger.
Why is everyone getting so mean on this forum ? Lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more