Inexpensive Single Action in .357?

Is there such a thing worth purchasing? I'm thinking it might be fun to give a single action a try again but in .357 to go with my Rossi & Smith. Yes, a Vaquero would be nice but out of my range and Taurus appears to have stopped producing the Gaucho.

Cheapest new ones (EAA, Cimarron, etc) are around $400. Anything used worth looking for that would be less than that?
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: Inexpensive Single Action in .357?

Can you just shoot your Smith in single action?

If your Smith is DAO then buy another Double Action that you can shoot in single action also.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

It may take some looking but you can find used new model .357 Blackhawks in "good' condition or better for $400 and less. These models have the transfer bar so you can safely carry 6 rounds and they're built like tanks. The old model 3-screw Blackhawks are going to be more expensive, especially the flattop variety because of collector interest. Unlike the Vaqueros, the Blackhawks have the adjustable rear sight.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez

Marlene wrote:I bet if a used Blackhawk is 400 then a used stampede or bounty hunter is 300? The bounty hunter is a cool gun. 1873 frame with 1860 grip
Really? I knew the shape looked different but I didn't think that was the case. Thought you'd need to buy two Uberti's to get that kind of thing going. Very very interesting.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Marlene wrote:I bet if a used Blackhawk is 400 then a used stampede or bounty hunter is 300? The bounty hunter is a cool gun. 1873 frame with 1860 grip
Probably so. I've seen new prices from $400 to $500 for the Bounty Hunter. I've never owned one, but the EEA reviews are better than they used to be. I used to hear lots of comments about timing issues but not lately. The average price for used new model Blackhawks is going to be more than $400, but they can be found.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez

Used SAA clones and the like require the same careful revolver checkout as everything else. Some older italians had lesser quality heat treating of small parts. The standard revolver checkout reveals this in the timing and lockup. If it passes the checkout, then it's good.

Great Western is also a brand that draws little money but are of good quality, although they're all getting pretty long in the teeth by now.

I've been readin' on this thread, and I don't have much about the inexpensive part. But I do want to say that the .357 is a great round. Moreover, since .38's can be shot, such a chambering is really useful. You can get great performance out of heavy bullets--but the gun has to be able to take it. I shoot a Ruger.

Though I bought it a while back and then traded it for a Ruger.357 double action, I've never second guessed the money I spent back then. It was a Ruger Bisley Vaquero. A heavy gun, its grip was very comfortable with heavy bullets. A very nice gun. I wanted a single action in .45, so ended up with a Vaquero. Good guns, Rugers.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I've owned a few Ruger firearms and used a few more. They are well made and of good quality. Still there is something about them that leaves me cold. I've sold the ones I've had had with no regrets.

My carry 357 is DAO so that isn't going to fill I for the SA feel.

The idea of a Colt or Remington Navy clone in. 36 is interesting though...
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

FastEddy wrote:I too have a ruger da/sa (gp100) as my night stand gun and when it's at the range, it is single action only. Still, lacks that cowboy feel of a traditional single action, but it is a tank and a great shot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kinda want one of these. Seems like it would make an excellent hunting side arm which is just about enough excuse for me to considering buying one.