New 9mm for starting IDPA in California?

I really want to get started in IDPA out here. I love my 1911 but after several run-ins with reliability of the mag seating properly in fast-change circumstances (my fault, not its), I'm thinking I need to get something slightly more mainstream on the IDPA circuit in 9mm. I am NOT a Glock girl as the grips are just not a good fit for my hands (I can miss the broadside of the barn with one, really). I have a 226 - I'm ok with it. My husband actually managed to make the trigger worse, but I could remedy that problem. Or I could get something else cheaper... I'm not opposed to buying used. We have a 10 round mag limit in my state. Any suggestions from you more experienced IDPA people?

Re: New 9mm for starting IDPA in California?

laragc wrote:I really want to get started in IDPA out here. I love my 1911 but after several run-ins with reliability of the mag seating properly in fast-change circumstances (my fault, not its), I'm thinking I need to get something slightly more mainstream on the IDPA circuit in 9mm. I am NOT a Glock girl as the grips are just not a good fit for my hands (I can miss the broadside of the barn with one, really). I have a 226 - I'm ok with it. My husband actually managed to make the trigger worse, but I could remedy that problem. Or I could get something else cheaper... I'm not opposed to buying used. We have a 10 round mag limit in my state. Any suggestions from you more experienced IDPA people?
I sometimes shoot a 1911 in IDPA (CDP Division), but lately I've been shooting more in the CCP Division with my CZ 75 Compact 9mm. That's a REALLY nice pistol. Shinzen has one as well.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

CZ-P01 is pretty awesome. With the Cajun Gunworks package it's even more so, which I should do. Could also try the XD's, as they have a different grip angle so might fit you better than a Glock. Bear in mind, just like defensive shooting, a safety or DA/SA could mess with your times.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

pdoggeth wrote:I'll have to second (or third) the CZ. Ergos on it are very good. The Beretta, if you can find thin grips, will probably feel better, but I do know most folks complain that the 92fs feels too stout.
You definitely need a stout grip for the 92FS, but the out-of-the-box accuracy is amazing. Be prepared for a very heavy single-action pull, which can be easily mitigated with practice. There are also tons of aftermarket upgrades/add-ons/geegaws for it too.
LGC Texas - Vice President

shinzen wrote:Bear in mind, just like defensive shooting, a safety or DA/SA could mess with your times.
The CZ 75 Compact is available either with a decocker or manual safety. I chose the manual safety version because I usually shoot a 1911, so flicking the safety on/off as I go into and out of the holster is second nature. The advantage is a sweet, consistent single-action trigger pull on every shot.

If I was buying it primarily as a carry gun I might go for the decocker. I'm comfortable holstering cocked and locked during a match, but maybe wouldn't want to do so all the time.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Lara,

I would push you in the direction of USPSA. It makes a lot more sense as a sport, is more fun because the stages are longer, and don't have silly rules about when you can and can't reload.

The disadvantages are cost in terms of how many mags you need to get through a stage (5 is standard).

Glock 34 is a great starting point for either USPSA or IDPA. Working with double action / single-action guns in competition is a bit tricker because you have to manage the transition from heavy to light trigger pull, and deal with dropping the hammer at stage start if you are shooting in production/ssp.

pdoggeth wrote:I'll have to second (or third) the CZ. Ergos on it are very good. The Beretta, if you can find thin grips, will probably feel better, but I do know most folks complain that the 92fs feels too stout.
Both the CZ (without modifications) and the 92FS (especially) have a very long trigger reach in double action. Since you would be starting every stage in double action, this can be really challenging for someone with small hands (I have small hands).

p0lyhuman wrote:
Both the CZ (without modifications) and the 92FS (especially) have a very long trigger reach in double action. Since you would be starting every stage in double action, this can be really challenging for someone with small hands (I have small hands).
Is there a rule that prevents starting from C&L like Elmo described with the CZ with the safety? If there's no reason why not, then I think the CZ is the best choice for someone who doesn't work well with the Glock. Is the grip of the 34 any different from the 17?

p0lyhuman wrote:Lara,
I would push you in the direction of USPSA. It makes a lot more sense as a sport, is more fun because the stages are longer, and don't have silly rules about when you can and can't reload.
Can't find a link now, but I am seeing draft IDPA rule changes for 2017 that do away with some of the silliest rules, like no reloading in the open.

Still, point taken, USPSA/IPSC is an easier discipline to start in than IDPA. If you don't have a goal of becoming a top competitor, but simply improving skills and having fun, there are plenty of rigs you can use for both sports. Also, the nearby Richmond range has 20+ USPSA matches per year vs. 3 or 4 IDPA matches.

p0lyhuman wrote:
True, I guess I forgot about that part of the IDPA rules. Not to fear! You could opt for a CZ-75 SA (though the safety is -unfortunately- a little harder to toggle). I've effed with all my DA/SA CZ's triggers so I don't quite remember if in half-cock position, if the trigger is totally forward, or slightly recessed towards the back. If it's the latter, that may help a bit with the long trigger situation. Likewise, the 92FS does have a "short reach trigger" which is reasonable in price and not terribly hard to install. I'd still go with CZ though for the ergos.

Another option popped in my mind that I forgot about. HK USPs and P2000s, if you can forgive the +$100 markup on a polymer gun, are very shootable. If you are adventurous in gunsmithing and don't mind spending another +$100 or so in upgrading to the LEM trigger (or simply finding one for sale), those are pretty dope.

Berettas don't fit my hand - I have tiny hands. I could replace the grips but I still think I might have issues with the length of pull. CZs are simply not my favorite guns to shoot but I can try them again. I am NOT a glock girl - not gonna happen. I had not considered the HKs - excellent point!

I do shoot some USPSA, but I like some of the IDPA strangeness. :)

Marlene wrote:
p0lyhuman wrote:
Is there a rule that prevents starting from C&L like Elmo described with the CZ with the safety? If there's no reason why not, then I think the CZ is the best choice for someone who doesn't work well with the Glock. Is the grip of the 34 any different from the 17?
In SSP and Production you have to start with hammer at least half-cocked or fully decocked. Starting C&L puts you into ESP/Limited division.

Glock 34 has longer barrel, lighter trigger, and ported slide. Otherwise, nothing substantive.

senorgrand wrote:EAAs are not on roster.

How about an Xd? I tried one on for size and much prefered it over the Glock. I tried a Glock 45acp(can't remember the model) - felt like a brick in my hand...a brick that would shoot smaller bricks.
I hate the blocky feel of a Glock when I pick one up, too. But the few times I've shot one, it worked out well.

I don't remember the G26 I shot recently to be as offensive. Don't know if that was the gen #, or if it the short grip felt so weird that the other things about it were lost in the noise. I almost never shoot guns that small.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.