Picked up my Shield yesterday

I picked up my S&W Shield yesterday and put 150 rounds through it. Definitely not the combat type pistol I'm used to but not bad. I need to practice more. It seems, for me at least, to be a five yard gun. At seven things seem to open up a lot more. I started out shooting with the extended mag and found I was low at seven yards. When I switched to the short magazine with my pinky under the grip I found I was more often on target with a normal sight picture. Anyway, a new toy out the door for $256.

I'm shooting consistently to the left. What am I doing wrong, pistol experts?

While I almost never carry, (I'd rather drink than pack heat :) ) I feel I should investigate a holster for this thing. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying both a right and left hand of this because they're cheap.
https://www.concealmentexpress.com/prod ... oCvaHw_wcB

Anybody got any better suggestions?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: Picked up my Shield yesterday

Mason wrote:I picked up my S&W Shield yesterday and put 150 rounds through it. Definitely not the combat type pistol I'm used to but not bad. I need to practice more. It seems, for me at least, to be a five yard gun. At seven things seem to open up a lot more. I started out shooting with the extended mag and found I was low at seven yards. When I switched to the short magazine with my pinky under the grip I found I was more often on target with a normal sight picture. Anyway, a new toy out the door for $256.

I'm shooting consistently to the left. What am I doing wrong, pistol experts?

While I almost never carry, (I'd rather drink than pack heat :) ) I feel I should investigate a holster for this thing. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying both a right and left hand of this because they're cheap.
https://www.concealmentexpress.com/prod ... oCvaHw_wcB

Anybody got any better suggestions?
It takes some getting used to, requiring two-three range trips before I could get it down. I now get consistent 8-ring or better shots out to 15 yards. Thumbs forward hold seems to mitigate its tendency to pattern left. This is with all manner of ammo from bulk WWB to Hornady Critical Defense HP.

For holsters, the Desantis Sof-Tuk is great for warm weather. Alien Gear also makes a great IWB for jeans/pants wear.

http://aliengearholsters.com/s-w-m-p-sh ... tband.html
LGC Texas - Vice President

Rocky River Leather doesn't make an OWB for the shield yet, unfortunately. I just bought the suggested Alien Gear holster because $30. I also bought their belt because it was only $40 with the holster and I've been meaning to buy a gun belt at some point.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: shooting consistently left.

With a new pistol, I carefully shoot several rounds with my forearms braced on the bench surface, ideally with butt of gun resting on a sandbag. I aim for the corner of a colored rectangle and concentrate on using the same POA for each shot. I can figure out pretty quickly if it's the gun or me that's the issue if the shots were trending left/right high/low when fired unsupported.

For a long time I thought I was consistently jerking the trigger of one of my Glocks, causing my shots to pull to the left. Then I did the bench test and saw it was the pistol, not me. I drifted the rear sight in small increments until zeroed in at my preferred distance.

A fun tool to add to the kit: Laserlite Boresight. Managed to use it on my Sheild 9mm when I first got it, drifted the rear sight ever so slightly to match point of aim even before heading to the range. I found the little Shield is very accurate if I do my part... all the way out to hit head-sized targets at 40 yards with slow, measured breaths. But the small handle and trigger really does challenge me. Shooting a full-sized G17 by comparison is much easier to be accurate, especially in rapid follow-up shots.

As in most things, the limitations are rarely in the tool. But verify your point of aim with a bore-laser sight.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Attachments
61d2EUBG-pL._SX522_.jpg
61d2EUBG-pL._SX522_.jpg (8.08 KiB) Viewed 6828 times

Oh, and I'm the same regarding carrying. But the Shield is so cute it begs to be carried. So I have a cheaper Kolpin version of this style of suede inside-the-belt holsters (not the Galco pictured but...).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Attachments
51O2n-F-k8L._SX425_.jpg

Picked up my Shield yesterday

PeterBlack wrote:I like my Shield - shoots a bit low and left - just need more practice - butI I it see it as a 15ft personal protection gun and it perfect for that - having discount and S&w rebate so I think LAN prepared for any eventuality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bought a bodyguard too on account of the discounts from my local store & the S&W rebates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by PeterBlack on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have that concealment express holster, not terrible but will need to be dehorned a bit. There were some sharp edges. I usually carry it in a white hat holsters microtuck hybrid holster. Very comfortable iwb holster. I swapped the sights for some ameriglo I dot pros. It's a straight eight style night sight. They are fantastic, and very accurate. In 2500 or so rounds I've never had a single jam or fte, one ftf that was ammo related (factory reman). Damn thing eats everything.

Bisbee wrote:A fun tool to add to the kit: Laserlite Boresight. Managed to use it on my Sheild 9mm when I first got it, drifted the rear sight ever so slightly to match point of aim even before heading to the range. I found the little Shield is very accurate if I do my part... all the way out to hit head-sized targets at 40 yards with slow, measured breaths. But the small handle and trigger really does challenge me. Shooting a full-sized G17 by comparison is much easier to be accurate, especially in rapid follow-up shots.

As in most things, the limitations are rarely in the tool. But verify your point of aim with a bore-laser sight.
I checked those out in the store the other day, they are surprisingly expensive.

Do a search online: Laserlyte Bore Sight.

Got mine for $25 shipped over a year ago off Amazon. Just saw something similar on eBay for $11 shipped.

Didn't want to post a new thread about shields, so I resurrected this one.

Did you add a Hogue sleeve or anything? I am having trouble with the slick grip of my new Shield and wondered if you used something on yours.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I did get the Alien Gear. I've worn it enough to break it in. It spends most of its time in the cc pocket of my Versapack where it fits very nicely.

The holsters are very adjustable and Alien Gear provides the neccesary tools and parts to set things up in a way that works for you.

-John Cleese

If you're pulling shots to the left, I'm assuming you're right-handed. Accordingly, I recommend the following corrective measures:

1. Apply more support (left) hand pressure.
2. Try to get the highest possible grip.
3. Be sure the base of the left thumb is pressing against the grip.
4. Press trigger from the center of finger pad rather than the distal interphalangeal joint.

Because of their smaller "handscape," subcompacts are inherently more difficult to shoot than full-size or mid-size handguns; proper grip is especially important.

If the above recommendations don't work, you might consider biasing the rear sights about .010"-.015" to the right to offset the right hand dominance. At 18'-21' that adjustment usually moves point of impact about 1/2"-1" to the right. YMMV.
Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor | NRA Certified Pistol & CCW Instructor | Firearms Legal Consultant & Expert Witness | Illinois Licensed Private Security Officer

Mason wrote:Rocky River Leather doesn't make an OWB for the shield yet, unfortunately. I just bought the suggested Alien Gear holster because $30. I also bought their belt because it was only $40 with the holster and I've been meaning to buy a gun belt at some point.
I ordered one of his OWB holsters for my Kahr P380. Teeny pistol for OWB, but the holster is also small and just disappears. Super comfortable. Too bad he can't get a mold for the Shield... they're my favorite holsters.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six