The Remington Pug now has a brother...

A fellow on another forum wanted my Remington Pug, but I ain't selling. Instead after a brief conversation he sent me a pair of Pietta 1858s, one to be converted and returned and the other for me to do as I please with. No cartridge conversion for this one; he'll do that himself on his end. This is strictly a 'spare-time' effort, so it took a few days to get things done. Cut and re-crowned the barrel at 2-1/2", fabricated a new front sight and came up with a new way to use the shortened loading-lever to retain the cylinder-axis pin. I actually used the loading-lever latch this time; I cut it off and silver-soldered it on backwards to engage a slot cut in the head of the cylinder pin. Much neater in appearance and works a treat. Hopefully the picture makes it clear if the description doesn't.

I left the front sight a bit tall so he can make adjustments after he shoots it. After getting it all together I realized that my blueing chemicals had blued their last blue, so I ordered more. They ought to arrive late next week and hopefully I can have the gun refinished and on it's way home next weekend.

So now I have another Remington 1858 to play with. Sadly the white grips- which I initially thought were Micarta- are some sort of plastic that is a pain to finish; likely I'll make a set of wood grips for it. I'll shorten the barrel but not to the point that it is a snubby- about 3-1/2". It will get the pinky-groove at the bottom of the grip-frame but other than that will remain a 'plow-handle'shape. The front sight will be a version of this sight extended to form a full-length rib along the top of the barrel. Rather than buying a Kirst Konverter I will be attempting to bore the cylinder out for .44 Colt and construct a breech-plate myself, probably with a simple pass-through rather than a hinged gate. If that doesn't work of I may just make my first cylinder, in which case I might just make it a .44 Special and reline the bore. Or maybe something more exotic... we'll just have to see.
"Aim for their foil beanies! It's the only way to be sure..."
https://tinkertalksguns.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/michael.t.pearce.7