Re: $150 SW Hand Ejector

AZAndy wrote:The more I look at it, the more I think it’s a Model of 1905. Does the right side of the barrel say “.38 S&W SPECIAL CTG”? That serial number would put it sometime in the 1930s. If there’s a serial on the flat part of the barrel (under the ejector rod), and another on the face of the cylinder, then that’s what it is.
First, thanks for the research.

Under the barrel, above the ejector it reads 653679. Behind the crane, it reads 55332. It does say ".38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG."
Yet she persisted.

Inquisitor wrote:Where do you guys look up serial numbers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
My starting point is the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, Fourth Edition, by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. It has starting and ending dates and serial numbers for each model, and each engineering change within a model's run.
Reunite Pangea!

Inquisitor wrote:Ok what’s this :)

Second number is a 3, there is a C before it.

I can't see enough of the gun to be sure what the model is, but that serial number says it's a K-Frame from about 1953, so it's not a numbered model. The circle on the sideplate makes me think it has had a police or military "badge" removed. Is it a .38 Special? If so, probably a .38 M&P (Postwar). If it has a ramp front sight, it was right after they changed from the round to the ramp in 1952. Here's a handy guide to the C series K frames:

C1 - C233,999………….....1948 – 52
C236,004 – C261,483…….1953
C277,555 – C314,031….…1954 – 56
C402,924 – C405,018…….1957 (This is the year the gun becomes the Model 10)
C405,019 – C429,740…..1958 – 59
C429,741 – C474,148…….1960
C474,149 – C622,699…….1961 – 62
C622,700 – C810,532…….1963 – 65
C810,533 – C999,999…..1966 – 67
Reunite Pangea!

Inquisitor wrote:Yeah it’s a 38spl, I always thought it was a model 10 but apparently I am wrong. Is that enough of the gun to verify?

Definitely a .38 M&P, early 50s-- with the round sight, maybe 1952, even though the serial says '53. A model 10 would have "MOD 10" on the frame just inside the yoke, and wouldn't have the round front sight or the top screw on the sideplate (that screw went away in 1955). I bet the trigger's pretty nice on that old fellow; shoot it much?
Reunite Pangea!

Inquisitor wrote:I used to shoot it a lot. It’s a good pistol. Shoots straight. It’s gotten a little stiff on the cylinder release which is why I took it down to clean it.

Could be pretty gunky under that sideplate. I clean out the guts with brake cleaner spray and then re-lubricate when I get an old one. You know the trick for getting the sideplate off? If not, remove the screws and then give the grip area of the frame (with the grips removed) a few whacks with the handle of a screwdriver; the plate will pop up.
Reunite Pangea!

Sticky opening is usually the ejector rod staring to unscrew a little. I dunno whether yours is RH thread or LH thread. Youtube will have videos showing disassembly. Stuff some empty cases or dummies in the cylinder to support the extractor when you unscrew it. Clean the threads and tighten it well. Problem solved.

Marlene wrote:Sticky opening is usually the ejector rod staring to unscrew a little. I dunno whether yours is RH thread or LH thread. Youtube will have videos showing disassembly. Stuff some empty cases or dummies in the cylinder to support the extractor when you unscrew it. Clean the threads and tighten it well. Problem solved.
A couple years ago I took the cylinder apart as it WAS seriously gunked up. I imagine I need to tighten that up. Been suspecting it for a while. Having the goddess of old guns suggest it as a problem is just the impetus I need to figure it out :)

Thanks all, sorry for the threadjack.