Re: Looks like a subcompact Hi-Point...

Cobra Enterprises are out of Utah. They make a lot of derringers. Their 380 pistols are heavy like Hi-Points - that one weighs as much as a full size pistol over 30 ozs. There are much lighter 380 pistols if you're carrying it, it's only 7 rounds.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

They are all ring of fire offshoots. I have a pair of chrome Davis versions in .32acp. Simple blowback and the parts interchange between the .32acp and .380 so only the barrel is different. I'd stick with .22, .25, and 32 acp in a blowback given this design.

You can make them dependable but they may not be out of the box. I got my Davis models used for $80 as a pair and put a new spring and new harder firing pin on each since it ejects the case after each shot.

They are novelties for me, but they function fine and put any ammo I've purchased downrange with no hiccups.

The pawn shops sell them new for $120 and used $75. They're smaller and cheaper then .380 highpoints. That's why I'd personally stay below .380.
Brian

The Saturday Night Specials (Ring of Fire) were cheap, not necessarily unreliable. I think the term Saturday Night Specials is more appropriately applied to cheap liquor and drugs, but liquor manufacturers would probably fight that one. Cobra's are cheap and if it's all someone can afford it works. I'll stick with my CZ 83 which is a little lighter and has 12 rounds.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

These guns aren't worth it anymore with the advent of small 9mm guns driving down the prices of small .380 guns.

They sell new Taurus TCP and Ruger LCP pistols for $160-170 here. S&W bodyguards and others around $200. A lot of $200-250 revolvers and $170-200 Taurus PT111 Gen 2s at $200 around.

But if you need something and you find one at $75. It will do.

I never assume personal defense should only be reserved for the wealthy.
Brian

:roflmao: I would never buy one of these for defense unless there was literally no other option. I had just not seen this particular one before. That one in the TTAG vid doesn't encourage me to pick one up.

Someone recently gave me a Davis Derringer in .22 mag, and I just can't bring myself to carry it. Yeah I'll stick with my CZ.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

cobra is, indeed, a descendant of the ring of fire companies. i own a cobra ca-380, the F.S.' direct ancestor. they MAY have improved the ergonomics. i paid too much, $100. it's heavy, clunky even. shoots well enough, but lives up to its' snake name. it bites my hand every time i shoot it. slide skirts too low. i'd want to handle one, preferably shoot it before buying.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?