Suggestions for CZ75B sights?

My CZ 75B has the old style low profile three dot sights. Not bad, but I'd like to have something a little more pronounced. Sadly, cost is a factor so spending $100 on sights probably isn't going to happen. Any suggestions on reasonably priced sights? Also, are sights easy enough to replace that a fairly competent DIY person can do it?

Re: Suggestions for CZ75B sights?

MaxWyatt wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:
MaxWyatt wrote:Drilling doesn't sound too fun. I'll do some research
I'm kinda spitballing this. I have no doubt the CZ-fanatics here will offer up better info at some point.
From CZfirearms.com http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=71648.0

It sounds like I *might* be able to do it, but I'm thinking for the hassle and risk of ruining the front sight, I'm going to see what the LGS will charge.
We may have to LGC'ers in that area that might do it for a 6-pack of the local brew.

Any Oregonians can help this guy out?
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:
MaxWyatt wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:
MaxWyatt wrote:Drilling doesn't sound too fun. I'll do some research
I'm kinda spitballing this. I have no doubt the CZ-fanatics here will offer up better info at some point.
From CZfirearms.com http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=71648.0

It sounds like I *might* be able to do it, but I'm thinking for the hassle and risk of ruining the front sight, I'm going to see what the LGS will charge.
We may have to LGC'ers in that area that might do it for a 6-pack of the local brew.

Any Oregonians can help this guy out?
Unknown territory for me, but I've never shied away from trying new shit. On reflection, perhaps Max doesn't want me learning on his gun. :roflmao: That's OK, I think I owe him some of my guns anyway. ;)

Might want to try Huckleberryfun- he's got some serious hardware and may know how to do this.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Dawson Precision has some CZ 75 front sights that already have the notch. I might get those, but at almost $90 a set the adjustable sights start looking like an option. On the other hand, I could try just replacing the front for $39

On the other other hand, I could just buy some red modeling paint. much easier. :think:

I bravely whipped out my credit card and ordered a set of Dawson sights for the CZ 75 today. I was a little unclear on which rear sights were compatible with the CZ 75, so I gave them a call to confirm my choices. Nice fellow on the phone. He confirmed my selections and suggested buying slightly taller sights so I'd have more options for adjusting later. Now I just have to wait 3-10 days. :whistle: Much better than the 4-6 weeks that we had to wait back in the olden days.

MaxWyatt wrote:I bravely whipped out my credit card and ordered a set of Dawson sights for the CZ 75 today. I was a little unclear on which rear sights were compatible with the CZ 75, so I gave them a call to confirm my choices. Nice fellow on the phone. He confirmed my selections and suggested buying slightly taller sights so I'd have more options for adjusting later. Now I just have to wait 3-10 days. :whistle: Much better than the 4-6 weeks that we had to wait back in the olden days.
Dawson Precision is actually right up the road (maybe 30 minutes) from my house. I haven't had a need for their products, but I know they make quality stuff.

I received the Dawson sights and attempted to install them this morning but could not get the rear sight to move. Not even after using a heat gun and penetrating oil. I will be introducing myself to the local gun smith as soon as my flu symptoms subside. So much for a sub $100 upgrade. :roll:

Front sight came out no problem....

No! Wait! Call Huck! He's big and powerful and knows workin' on guns. He'll drift those sights for you with his pinky finger.

But seriously, it is very hard to get the rear sights out. Be careful not to mark up your slide:
I always put the slide in the vice between 2 blocks of wood, place tape on slide to prevent scratch. I use a regular large tapered punch, if you want to save the sight, then put a couple layers of tape on sight and one layer on punch. On all my CZ's except the SP01 I had to hit it with a lot of force to get it started, due to red loctite. I always remove them from right to left, I don't know if it makes a difference but it works for me.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Yeah, that rear sight is a bugger on the 75 series pistol- it can be done with a punch drifting it out, but a sight pusher definitely works better. Use a bigger hammer than you think you need as it needs a firm whack, and definitely use a vice and wood blocks if you are doing it that way.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I had the slide in a vice with wood taped to the side. No luck. I used a heat gun on it, tried heat gun/freezer cycling it, used copious amounts of penetrating oil. It will not move. The aluminum punch that came with the sights is deformed on the hammer end from my efforts. I've read threads in other forums where people had to have them machined out because normal sight pushers couldn't do it. Other people drifted the rear sight out without drama.

This is a mess. I wish I hadn't bothered at all with trying to change the sights.

MaxWyatt wrote:I had the slide in a vice with wood taped to the side. No luck. I used a heat gun on it, tried heat gun/freezer cycling it, used copious amounts of penetrating oil. It will not move. The aluminum punch that came with the sights is deformed on the hammer end from my efforts. I've read threads in other forums where people had to have them machined out because normal sight pushers couldn't do it. Other people drifted the rear sight out without drama.

This is a mess. I wish I hadn't bothered at all with trying to change the sights.
Rear sights can be real PITAs to get out. I'd take a break and let the penetrating fluid work for a bit. Also, try a brass punch instead of the included aluminum one. It's harder and less prone to deformation. The key is patience with some nerve to hit the punch harder than you may want to. Those sights are milled from bar stock and are more durable than you think. Brass marks will generally rub right off of steel sights.

Be sure to tape up the surrounding areas of the slide in the event your percussive maintenance gets the best of you!

Good luck!
Last edited by atxgunguy on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxWyatt wrote:Can you get a brass punch at a gun shop? Harbor Freight maybe? I don't have one. Most of my tools are geared toward motorcycles or home repair and don't have anything that small and brass.
Most likely Harbor Freight, although I got mine at Home Depot, under $10. It's even knurled for some grip.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools ... /203580858

For that price, I got two...because you will inevitably booger-up one real good. ;)

Yeah, Aluminum will be too soft for sure- I'd bet the brass punch does the trick. (Mine still took some serious hammering before it came off) If you get really frustrated and are going to cut it out, use a dremel with a small metal cutting wheel. Hopefully it won't go that far.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Thanks for the extra encouragement. The hardware store didn't have a brass punch, but I figured I have no desire to keep the original sight so.... I carefully covered the slide in masking tape and beat the phuking sight out with a hammer and a steel punch. :yahoo:

Now I have a different issue. The rear sight appears to be too short to clear the top of the slide. If I slip a piece of paper under the sight and over the slide, it curves enough that I am concerned. The sight fits too tight for me to pound in so I will need to buy a file small enough to work the bevels if I decide to try installing it. The only files I have that small are for guitar frets and they're the wrong shape. :confused: Well, on the bright side, at least I'm learning something.
Attachments
sights.jpg