Re: small .357 revolvers

We were arguing? I thought arguments consisted of people articulating their views and providing supporting material. I don’t even know what you think except that you’re obviously assuming a whole bunch of context/background that is completely not obvious or even clear to me.

You thinking I made a joke and me saying that I wasn’t joking and asking you to explain what you thought was funny isn’t an argument. You following that up by feeling aggrieved by me wanting you to explain what I wasn’t getting and going on a tirade about your pain experience isn’t an argument.

How could we be arguing? You haven’t yet told me what you think. I don’t even know yet if I disagree with you on any particular point.

Apparently I’m also a bigot, but I’m not sure what about.

I’m in real pain now knowing I do not own a short barreled revolver and knowing that I now need one don’t think there would be any pain from shooting cause I love my gp 101 and might be my best shooting gun better than my everyday carry the pain of wait might be more than a broken arm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blue Dot Veteran

I had a wooden grip on my S&W 19-6 that i had to replace with a hogue rubber grip. As nice as the wood grip looked, it just tore my palm apart. The day i put that wood grip back on it is the day I lock it in a glass display case.

Granted that's also with a 4" barrel. I have a tendency to stay away from snubby barrels because I just am not confident in my aim. I won't carry anything I'm not comfortable aiming.

Deep13: I don't know if you have made a selection yet, but you might consider something (like the Ruger LCR 327) with almost as much power as a 357 and with less kick, plus 6 shots to boot. There is also "low recoil" ammo available, for example the 327 Federal Magnum - Low Recoil - 85 gr Hydra-Shok JHP and the Doubletap Ammunition 327 Federal 75 Grain Barnes TAC-XP Hollow Point . The former I buy over the counter at my local gunshop and the later I buy from doubletap directly.

The 327 has less kick than the 357 to begin with, and when you put low recoil ammo in it it still shoots a very angry bullet but at significantly less recoil than a 357. I have shot the LCR 357 and LCR 327 (which is my primary carry) and I can tell ya it's one power gun that is much easier on the wrists.

The only issue I have with both the 327 and the 357 is the noise which will happen in a self defense (no ear muffs) situation. Hearing loss will occur, from what I have read. I continue to evolve on my noise thinking, and at the present time I load the first two shots on my LCR 327 with 32 H&R Magnum (Critical Defense Ammo) and the remaining 4 shots with Doubletap 327.

At any rate I know that was not your question but I just wanted to make you aware of the LCR 327.

I carry/shoot a Chiappa 200D in 357. I love it. With the 6oclock barrel position, it practically has no kick or muzzle flip. I'm always in conflict with myself between carrying SD .38 or 357 in it, as 357 isn't that efficient out of 2". But right now I'm carrying it with 357. But the thought of deafening myself is unsettling...

Physics are pretty brutal...equal and opposite reaction and all.

Several things can mitigate perceived recoil (as already mentioned):

1) Heavier gun...a Ruger SP 101 kicks a lot less than an LCR of the same caliber.

2) Lighter loads...38 +p is a fine defensive round and I have never had a problem shooting them, even out of an uber-light snub. 357 in an Airweight? It's like having a firecracker go off in your hand.

3) Increased surface area...the more surface area in firm contact with your hand, the better to distribute the recoiling force.

4) Rubber is awesome...especially if it covers the backstrap.

5) Push vs. Snap...some people have an easier time with the push of recoil into their hand, as opposed to the upward force of the barrel snapping. If this is the case for you, look to heavier bullet weights with lower velocities.

6) Practice...don't start with the 44 mag....work your way up. Practicing with a caliber you feel comfortable with will develop good habits that will transfer to larger calibers when you are ready. In my mind, this is one of the huge benefits of 357 revolvers...you can get off-the-shelf ammo from 38 cowboy loads to 357 bear loads, all for the same gun.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I just picked up an SP101 3" this week and I love it... love love love it.

With the stock grip, anything up to and including a mildly hot loads seems just fine for me and I have biggish hands. The load I'll use for practice I could shoot in that gun all day long.

When I moved up to some hot H110 loads... hooo HAAA! It hurt a smidge after a couple cylinders, but I'm weird, I like it. I wouldn't do that all day, but I think I'd do it EVERY day. :evil:
If I were going to go hot with it more often, I think I'd go with something more like the Hogue grip.

It just doesn't seem like too much, although I could load it to be. I do KNOW I wouldn't want to go any lighter with a 357.

It's my first smaller 357 DA, but that's my 2 cents.
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
― Ernesto Che Guevara

I'm thinking I MOSTLY want to shoot .38, FMJ for range for the cost, JHP at lower velocity, even sub-sonic for HD. I'd prefer .357 in FMJ for practice--if the price is right.
Not sure about the grain weight and loads--9mm is MUCH easier to figure out! :lol:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."