Getting back into the 9mm game with a smallish one.

Reviews and discussion of handguns.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

Getting back into the 9mm game with a smallish one.

#1 Post by ErikO » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Got a SCCY CPX2 on layaway.

Pretty excited. :)

In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Getting back into the 9mm game with a smallish one.

#2 Post by lurker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:33 pm

ain't that cute?
covfefe!

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#3 Post by ErikO » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 am

Yep, standard poly chassis 9mm that is functionally similar to the Ruger LC9 and identicle to the KelTek PF-9. Should work great, only upgrades I am thinking of getting are a reduced travel trigger (it's metal so definite upgrade from the plastic one) and better sights but that's really about it. It will be a carry gun so the full-strength hammer spring and everything else will stay. The whole strategy I have with carry guns is 'replaceable if in evidence but still functional'. Too many doo-dads make replacements more expensive and less easy to articulate why they were done in court if needed.

Plus, at a ten round capacity it'd be legal to carry in every state that honors the MO and UT permits.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by ErikO » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:51 am

And Kel-Tec P-11 magazines can be modified to work with the CPX 2 as well.

MaxwellG
Chatty

#5 Post by MaxwellG » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:59 am

That's a cool pistol...Whats with the cooling slots in the grip? It's getting' so ya can't tell the difference between a computer case and a handgun!
Here's Thermaltakes BMW case.
ThermalTake Case.jpg
There's just gotta be a place up ahead where men aint lowdown, and poker's played fair. If there weren't...what are all the songs about? I'll see y'all there. - Buster Scruggs

Pantechnicon
Helpful Contributor

#6 Post by Pantechnicon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:27 am

Nice. My brother just picked one up in December for a carry gun and he’s pretty happy with it. I fired it myself and I wasn’t crazy about the stock trigger, but it sounds like you’ve already got a replacement in mind so you ought to be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- pzc

Bang
Chatty

#7 Post by Bang » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 pm

MaxwellG wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:59 am
That's a cool pistol...Whats with the cooling slots in the grip? It's getting' so ya can't tell the difference between a computer case and a handgun!
Here's Thermaltakes BMW case.

ThermalTake Case.jpg

This just in from the Department of Colon Extractions:
Those are compression grooves, to make recoil that tiny bit softer.

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#8 Post by ErikO » Thu May 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Minorly embarrassing having to use a 90 day layaway plan but still on track to get this by the end of June! Only changes I am going to make beyond the metal trigger are swapping in a Kel Tec P-11 mag release and using a 12-round (P-11) and two 15-round (S&W 59) magazines while I carry in states where those magazine sizes are not prohibited. And will likely carry in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.5.

ncbluedot
Been around awhile

#9 Post by ncbluedot » Fri May 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Good friend of mine had one and it shoots well for a double action only. It is also manufactured in my hometown so what's not to like?

Layaway = no finance charge. I did that when I bought my wheel gun at buds. Made a $75 payment every payday and I picked it up from my LGS before my next visit to the gun club.

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#10 Post by ErikO » Fri May 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Every firearm I have owned except one was a layaway purchase. :D

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#11 Post by ErikO » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:31 am

And it is in transit to my FFL, should have it next week.

Then it is time to get some >10 round magazines and a good holster.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:58 am

ErikO wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:51 pm
Minorly embarrassing having to use a 90 day layaway plan but still on track to get this by the end of June! Only changes I am going to make beyond the metal trigger are swapping in a Kel Tec P-11 mag release and using a 12-round (P-11) and two 15-round (S&W 59) magazines while I carry in states where those magazine sizes are not prohibited. And will likely carry in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.5.
No need to be. We do what we can, manage what we can afford, and how we can afford it. You're not accepting charity, not taking anyone else's money. It's honorable and nothing to be ashamed of. The end of June is nearly here and you'll have it and enjoy shooting it soon enough.
"Fascism comes along when the rich people get the generals to help them stay in control." -- Woody Guthrie
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#13 Post by highdesert » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:28 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:58 am
ErikO wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:51 pm
No need to be. We do what we can, manage what we can afford, and how we can afford it. You're not accepting charity, not taking anyone else's money. It's honorable and nothing to be ashamed of. The end of June is nearly here and you'll have it and enjoy shooting it soon enough.
Agreed, when you have a family there are many demands on the paycheck. One comes up with creative ways to meet everyones needs. Enjoy!
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by Buck13 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:46 pm

The more times I see this thread, the more that little thing grows on me. I take it they're fairly reliable?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#15 Post by ErikO » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:17 pm

I'll report in after I get it and shoot it a lot. Everything I have heard so far is excellent, especially on the CPX-2 as there is fewer parts.

Daveepee
Been around awhile

#16 Post by Daveepee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Friend of mine got one, slightly used at a gun show... After a thorough bath and a trip to range... I was very impressed. Life time warranty that goes with the gun... Thinking about getting one for me!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#17 Post by Bisbee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:08 am

Daveepee, I like to take a bath before going to the range as well... It relaxes me and makes my groups smaller.
:thumbup:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#18 Post by ErikO » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 am

Came home yesterday. VERY loong trigger pull and reset, so glad I got the CPX2 and not the CPX1 that has an external safety along with a safe trigger pull.

Daveepee
Been around awhile

#19 Post by Daveepee » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Bisbee wrote:Daveepee, I like to take a bath before going to the range as well... It relaxes me and makes my groups smaller.
Lol!! Image

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

polymath
Verified Member
Verified Member

#20 Post by polymath » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 pm

RE: the aliengear cloak tuck -- I have a 3.0, and it's okay but not great for me. What works (or doesn't) for me holster-wise may not be at all the same for you, so take this with three or four grains of salt.

It's quite awkward to put on and off, if that's something you plan to do (e.g. to remove it while you go into the post office), and it's quite wide, so it can be a minor annoyance for either the front or rear pockets depending on its positioning. Its lower edges have started curling a bit also.

On the plus side, it's comfortable immediately, has easily adjustable tension, has swappable shells, and is inexpensive. If you already have other Alien Gear shells, then that's another plus. Overall I give it a B-: perfectly workable, but not amazing. At least it's not a Crossbreed...

I've moved to narrower all-kydex holsters now for both IWB and OWB.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#21 Post by K9s » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:19 pm

My friend has one of those and he loves it! Nice little fire breathing dragon. How is the trigger after shooting it for a while? Do you like it? Getting used to the lo-o-o-o-ong trigger pull?
Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#22 Post by ErikO » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Yep, I have had it nearly a week and have not put a round down the tube yet. Missed a good shooting day today weather-wise, hope tomorrow is as nice.

Also got one of these kits on sale, so it'll be OWB for me Right hand draw leather holster kit. I'll likely get some sort of tuckable kydex holster for IWB at some point.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#23 Post by K9s » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:27 am

Very cool! That holster is a great choice!

I have been on the fence about getting a SCCY. Great price. Great caliber. Great size. I have read so many reviews that are contradictory - people seem to love 'em or hate 'em. Let us know what you think after you shoot it.
Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#24 Post by ErikO » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Ok, long overdue but got out to the range with a buddy today. CPX2 is AWESOME. Some folks don't like it, say the trigger is a loooong pull but it worked great with my handloads and was dead nuts on at 25m against a full-sized B-27 target.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#25 Post by Bisbee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:55 pm

You really are zen about not shooting a new gun aren't you? Were it me and I was too busy to get to the range, I'd be thinking of squeezing off just one round into a stack of old newspapers down in the basement in the dead of night or something... uh, not that I've ever done that before. But I do admit to having hoplophilia...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi