Surplus Beretta 92

I would really love a Beretta 92. I would also not like to pay around $600+ for one, at least for now. I see importers selling Berettas for $300 and lower, apparently trade ins from Italian police. The condition is usually listed as good or very good. Has anyone had any experience with these? Deal or no deal?

Re: Surplus Beretta 92

Yes, I had one. They're worth the cost, in my view. The sights are tiny, though that might not bother you if you have young eyes. The magazine release is in an odd place, and modern magazines aren't interchangeable unless you're willing to cut an extra slot in them. If you get one, get a spare original magazine or two. A mag loader will be handy too; those double-stacks are a beast to load manually.

If you're in the habit of racking the slide with the "armorer's grip," i.e. with your support hand over the top of the slide, you'll have to unlearn that. Since the top of the slide is open, you'll get quite a pinch if you do it that way.
Reunite Pangea!

The one's that are available currently are the 92S version. This has the slide mounted safety, and the heel mounted magazine release. As AZAndy pointed out, they take a specific magazine. You can find these magazines here and there, and the older Taurus magazines will work. Taurus continued to put the bottom mag cut on their magazines for years after they discontinued the older style 92. If the seller is also offering spare magazines, just buy them at the time you purchase to save yourself from having to hunt down the magazines.

The 92S is a very good pistol and I'm confident you'll be very happy with it. It's a large pistol and tends to feel good in large hands. They are VERY accurate and VERY reliable. The 92S isn't what I would call the "perfected 92" but it's a damn good pistol nonetheless, and worth every penny.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

AZAndy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:03 am Yes, I had one. They're worth the cost, in my view. The sights are tiny, though that might not bother you if you have young eyes. The magazine release is in an odd place, and modern magazines aren't interchangeable unless you're willing to cut an extra slot in them. If you get one, get a spare original magazine or two. A mag loader will be handy too; those double-stacks are a beast to load manually.

If you're in the habit of racking the slide with the "armorer's grip," i.e. with your support hand over the top of the slide, you'll have to unlearn that. Since the top of the slide is open, you'll get quite a pinch if you do it that way.
^All very valid talking points.

If you're itching to get one here and now, go for it...but the real deals are quite nice and will always be valuable. The current 92FS has standard 3-dot sights and magazines/aftermarket accessories are plentiful.

I'd wait, I did and it was completely worth it.
LGC Texas - Vice President

I owned a early 1980's Italian Built 92S....the one from before it was adopted to replace the 1911. It had the mag release in the middle of the grip. of all the pistols I have ever owned or shot (even some very expensive custom guns) this one stands out as probably the best built, best shooting, best fit and finish gun I have ever owned. i sold mine LNIB for an amount of money that embarrasses me but the new owner was thrilled to have it.

If yer into that platform (and I am) you probably will do well with a carried a lot/shot little Italian Built 92S. With a little love and maybe some upgraded parts and maybe a refinish in Hard Chrome or whatever it'll probably blow the doors off anything new you can buy with the same money. The key is if yer into the DA/SA Hammer Fired pistols with a slide mounted decocker that locks down. I just spent $300ish on a carried a lot/shot not S&W 6906 that I carry - same platform - DA/SA Hammer Fired with Decocker. The only reason I didn't get another 92S is that the S&W is just *that* much shorter and all stainless.

All my carry guns are DA/SA or DAO as I love that platform. Both of my EDC pistols are Beretta made (Px4 SC 9mm and a Pico .380) with the S&W 6906 being carried when I'm certain to get hot, sweaty, and wet. But the Beretta 92S is iconic and worth the $300.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

FYI guys, if you buy the 15 round regular 92fs mags direct from beretta they will fit. The mags from my M9 that was made last year actually have all the proper cuts for the heel release model. You can't buy any of the fancy versions or after markets as they typically don't have the cuts. Good news though Beretta doesn't make you cry like HK or Walther when you are buying mags direct.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

The 92s I had was a beautiful weapon, but the tiny sights just didn't work for me and I didn't want to cut it up to have new ones installed. The 92F is a much better gun, the uproar about slides coming off into peoples faces was greatly exaggerated.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"
"Namaste"
"Don't Tread on Me"

I love that Beretta & Taurus 92 style, but I just haven't pulled the trigger on a 92S. Glad to see this thread.

Are the 92S sights smaller than the newer 92 versions? They are already pretty small compared to a lot of other firearms.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt