cleaning the mark II

Reviews and discussion of handguns.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
MaxWyatt
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:05 pm
Location: Willamette Valley
Contact:

cleaning the mark II

#1 Post by MaxWyatt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:34 pm

After getting my Mark ii back in April, I disassembled it and gave it a quick, but fairly superficial cleaning. Mostly I just wanted to inspect it and make sure I could actually put it back together. After what seems to be traditional bout of youtube videos, cussing, and shear persistence, I was finally able to put it back together. I had intended to do another quick cleaning today of just the breach face and other parts accessible without a full take down, but after shining a light into those dark and gritty places, I resolved to clean it properly (warning: using a light can cause loss of time and OCD cleaning tendencies to manifest). Well, take down is a breeze. The embarrassing amounts of crud were carefully removed from around the breach face 'corners', trigger area, and frankly all over.... :oops:

Ok, clean pistol, freshly lubed, and it all the parts are shiny and clean. I take a Zen moment and center myself for the monumental task ahead. I proceed to re-assemble

Barrel to lower: check.
Insert Bolt: check.
Pull trigger and push hammer forward: check.
Hey, things are looking good!
Insert pin of mainspring assembly into the upper: check
Dangle hammer strut at perfect angle and align: check
Close mainspring assembly and push in latch: check.

Guess what?

wait for it.....


just a little longer....





It cycled the very first time. :clap2:
Last edited by MaxWyatt on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
senorgrand
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 17483
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: cleaning mark II

#2 Post by senorgrand » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Zen and the Art of Mark II Maintenance...great work!
Image

Release the tapes!

User avatar
Bucolic
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 6920
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Re: cleaning mark II

#3 Post by Bucolic » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Be proud (but don’t push your luck - have a beer).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neverthless, she persisted.

Image

User avatar
MaxWyatt
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:05 pm
Location: Willamette Valley
Contact:

Re: cleaning mark II

#4 Post by MaxWyatt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:11 pm

senorgrand wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:54 pm
Zen and the Art of Mark II Maintenance...great work!
The real difference between today and the first time is that I understand much better how the mechanism works. Instead of fighting it until I got lucky, I was able to put the parts where they needed to be so there was no drama. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. We'll see what happens next time. :evo:
Bucolic wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 pm
Be proud (but don’t push your luck - have a beer).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good advice. This is no time to get cocky. :)
Image

User avatar
CDFingers
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 17208
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#5 Post by CDFingers » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm

A conspiracy exists to get me to clean my MKII.

You know, those are a pretty condensed list of steps there. Accurate yet succinct. Pineapple.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Like I told you--what I said:
Steal your face right off your head.

User avatar
Buck13
Loquacious
Posts: 3007
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#6 Post by Buck13 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:29 pm

:clap:

The MkII isn't too scary once you get to know it. Kinda like the average pit bull.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

User avatar
ICanEatFiftyEggs
Been around awhile
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:56 pm
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#7 Post by ICanEatFiftyEggs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm

I thought so much of the cleaning the mark II experience that I bought a Mark IV.
Nobody ever eat fifty eggs.

User avatar
MaxWyatt
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:05 pm
Location: Willamette Valley
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#8 Post by MaxWyatt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 pm

ICanEatFiftyEggs wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm
I thought so much of the cleaning the mark II experience that I bought a Mark IV.
Send me your old mark ii. I'll clean it :whistle:
Image

User avatar
BillMcD
Been around awhile
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:12 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#9 Post by BillMcD » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:30 am

MaxWyatt wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 pm
ICanEatFiftyEggs wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm
I thought so much of the cleaning the mark II experience that I bought a Mark IV.
Send me your old mark ii. I'll clean it :whistle:
heh, if i hadn't gotten my Mark IV for as cheap as I did I would be learning how to detail strip a mark II or similar. That or i would be spraying it with cleaner and letting the crud run out. I don't use basic CLP when it comes to trying to get the junk out of a hard to clean system. I have to do it in steps: soaking it in solvent (spray until it drips out the inside), work the mechanisms, wait a while, more solvent, work the mechanisms, let it dry completely, lubricant, work the mechanisms, and clean off the excess. Its what I do for my revolvers and such that I don't know how to take down. I'm not sure how well it works other than it does operate smoother after this than before it.

Let me know if I'm doing something dangerous. It's not like I have any ammo loaded, although I refuse to dry fire my police positive without snap caps.

User avatar
SailDesign
Loquacious
Posts: 4082
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 am
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#10 Post by SailDesign » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:47 am

ICanEatFiftyEggs wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm
I thought so much of the cleaning the mark II experience that I bought a Mark IV.
Me, too. But... A pretty little Mk III short bull-barreled thing caught my eye last week. so I guess I'll have to re-learn as well. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

User avatar
MaxwellG
Chatty
Posts: 1499
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:37 pm
Location: WI - Land O Beer, cheese & snow
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#11 Post by MaxwellG » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 am

Yea! Glad to hear you got it first time.

They can be a bear sometimes to get back together...you pull the bolt back and it only moves 3/4" and you know it's not right.
Mona Lisa had the Highway Blues, you could tell by the way she smiled.
Image

User avatar
BlutoBlutarsky
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 am
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#12 Post by BlutoBlutarsky » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:14 am

My only Ruger 22 LR pistol is a Mark IV, so I don't know the agony of reassembling a Mark I, II, or III. Ruger only took several decades to get it right - the Mark IV literally comes apart with the push of a button. I love the damn thing, but I don't get to shoot it nearly as much as I'd like to.

User avatar
Eris
Chatty
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 11:54 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#13 Post by Eris » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 am

BillMcD wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:30 am
MaxWyatt wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 pm
ICanEatFiftyEggs wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm
I thought so much of the cleaning the mark II experience that I bought a Mark IV.
Send me your old mark ii. I'll clean it :whistle:
heh, if i hadn't gotten my Mark IV for as cheap as I did I would be learning how to detail strip a mark II or similar. That or i would be spraying it with cleaner and letting the crud run out. I don't use basic CLP when it comes to trying to get the junk out of a hard to clean system. I have to do it in steps: soaking it in solvent (spray until it drips out the inside), work the mechanisms, wait a while, more solvent, work the mechanisms, let it dry completely, lubricant, work the mechanisms, and clean off the excess. Its what I do for my revolvers and such that I don't know how to take down. I'm not sure how well it works other than it does operate smoother after this than before it.

Let me know if I'm doing something dangerous. It's not like I have any ammo loaded, although I refuse to dry fire my police positive without snap caps.
Spray it out to clean it. I'm going to have to try that with my Mark IV. I've recently come to realize that the reason my Mark IV doesn't always lock open on an empty magazine is that the bolt locking mechanism is dirty and moves too slowly into position. I lubricated it and it started working again. But the lever is flush against the frame of the gun, so I can't get a cleaning patch in there, and after 1 trip to the range, it needed lubrication again.
70+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

User avatar
MaxWyatt
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:05 pm
Location: Willamette Valley
Contact:

Re: cleaning the mark II

#14 Post by MaxWyatt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:26 pm

I gotta confess, I was shopping for a mark iv before this mark ii fell into my lap. I'm relieved that the cleaning procedure isn't quite as bad as some say, but it's still considerably more involved than say a CZ75. :)
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests