New EDC .... No, new everything!

[mine][/mine]Hi gang. Brandon here with another liberal gun owner post. I think this newly purchased Hekler and Koch P30 SK V3 DA/SA 9mm semiautomatic pistol is it for me. No more guns. This is a superb gun; for me that is.

Did I tell you guys that I bought a CZ 75 D PCR back in the spring? That one is also a 9mm DA/SA semiautomatic pistol. Makes for a great "house gun". Lots of advantages to having that double action trigger for the first shot. It can definitely help to prevent an accidental shooting due to its heavy trigger pull. With a striker fired gun, forget it.

I have 2 striker fired guns, which are on the perverbial chopping block. Just don't trust them. Sneaky bastards!

I was at the Walmart in Tumwater, WA where there was a shooting on Father's Day. I had my Shield .45 on me. Luckily I was home when it happened. Good stuff. CCW took out the bad guy. There really is such a thing as a Good Guy With a Gun, despite what my wife says.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... -565164739

See ya ....
Attachments
20180707_122423.jpg

Re: New EDC .... No, new everything!

[mine][/mine]
AndyH wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm
ba1970 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:31 pm I have 2 striker fired guns, which are on the perverbial chopping block. Just don't trust them. Sneaky bastards!
What striker-fired guns are on the way out? Why don't you trust them?
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c and a Shield 2.0 .45ACP. I don't feel safe carrying and being adjacent to family members (or any people) with a lighter trigger gun, such as a striker fired gun. Yes, even though it's in a kydex holster. It's just me.

I'm looking at picking up the Springfield XDE soon as a concealed carry. I too am seeking a shift from strikers to DA/SA semi. I think I've handled the P30SK at the shop, and loved the ease of manipulation of the slide lock/release. However, it doesn't have a safety or decocker. Given your concern about safety, are you concerned about the lack of a manual safety or a decocker?

ba1970 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:06 pm
ba1970 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:31 pm I have 2 striker fired guns, which are on the perverbial chopping block. Just don't trust them. Sneaky bastards!
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c and a Shield 2.0 .45ACP. I don't feel safe carrying and being adjacent to family members (or any people) with a lighter trigger gun, such as a striker fired gun. Yes, even though it's in a kydex holster. It's just me.
Thanks. My EDC's a Glock 19. The pull (weight and length) is somewhere between the DA and SA pulls of my Beretta 92FS/M9A1. I'm not familiar with the feel of the M&Ps. I haven't found a gun yet that was sneaky ;) but options are good.

H-K p30 SK? That's supposed to be one of the best sub-compacts you can buy! I shot the full size and wished I had shot it when I was hunting for my first hand gun. Not that the VP-9 gives me any regrets! But I liked the P30 just as much as the VP9. I'm interested also in the VP9 SK, if I go for another semi-.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Mine has a decocker. I hate safeties. There are 3 safeties that you have in your body when it comes to handling and re-holstering for your hand gun. The first is your trigger finger. Keep it away from the trigger. The second are your eyes. Look at what you are doing. Pay attention. The third is your non firing hand. So, to sum this up, when you are re-holstering, keep your trigger finger on the side of the weapon, put your non firing hand on your shirt just above the opening of your holster, and lastly, observe your firearm's reentry into the holster. You want to ensure that nothing (shirt or jacket) gets caught in the trigger guard as you re-holstering your gun.

Have you seen the decocker on the HK P30 SK Variant 3? That's the model that I have. There is a flush mount decocker on the rear of the slide to the left of the hammer. See picture attached.
methodmissing wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:29 pm I'm looking at picking up the Springfield XDE soon as a concealed carry. I too am seeking a shift from strikers to DA/SA semi. I think I've handled the P30SK at the shop, and loved the ease of manipulation of the slide lock/release. However, it doesn't have a safety or decocker. Given your concern about safety, are you concerned about the lack of a manual safety or a decocker?
Attachments
20180709_181411.jpg

Yep, that's the one. HK P30SK V3.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 pm H-K p30 SK? That's supposed to be one of the best sub-compacts you can buy! I shot the full size and wished I had shot it when I was hunting for my first hand gun. Not that the VP-9 gives me any regrets! But I liked the P30 just as much as the VP9. I'm interested also in the VP9 SK, if I go for another semi-.

I was considering a G19 Gen 5 with the Ameriglo sights. Was tempted .... Cabela's wanted $700 for that model. I was going to sell all of my guns and then just have the Glock .... :wall:
AndyH wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:43 pm
Thanks. My EDC's a Glock 19. The pull (weight and length) is somewhere between the DA and SA pulls of my Beretta 92FS/M9A1. I'm not familiar with the feel of the M&Ps. I haven't found a gun yet that was sneaky ;) but options are good.

ba1970 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 pm I was considering a G19 Gen 5 with the Ameriglo sights. Was tempted .... Cabela's wanted $700 for that model. I was going to sell all of my guns and then just have the Glock .... :wall:
Yeah, Cabela's is pretty proud of their inventory. :shock: I got my G17 gen 3 from Academy for $499...then I learned about Glock's blue label program for LEO/Military/first responders. :lol: The -19s been perfect for me - and I got it slightly used from a fellow LGCer for a very comfortable price. I was tempted by night sights but learned that they're of little use in a self defense situation as they won't help me identify the target - need a light for that - and at close range sights aren't very useful. So...even though I'm experimenting with a red dot for my -17 for targets, the EDC gun's staying stock. I need to visit my dad and take him to the range - he carries a Shield. I want to see how it feels.

AndyH wrote:
ba1970 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 pm I was considering a G19 Gen 5 with the Ameriglo sights. Was tempted .... Cabela's wanted $700 for that model. I was going to sell all of my guns and then just have the Glock .... :wall:

Yeah, Cabela's is pretty proud of their inventory. :shock: I got my G17 gen 3 from Academy for $499...then I learned about Glock's blue label program for LEO/Military/first responders.
The -19s been perfect for me - and I got it slightly used from a fellow LGCer for a very comfortable price. I was tempted by night sights but learned that they're of little use in a self defense situation as they won't help me identify the target - need a light for that - and at close range sights aren't very useful. So...even though I'm experimenting with a red dot for my -17 for targets, the EDC gun's staying stock. I need to visit my dad and take him to the range - he carries a Shield. I want to see how it feels.
I was at a small, independently owned gun shop in the area, and they offered to order me the Glock 19 Gen 5 under the blue label program because Glock has been extending the benefit to veterans. I said, "cool". They took my name and number and called me a couple of days later. I didn't call them back as I was really not interested in a Glock. I've had 2 already, and I traded them in for a reason. Nothing against them, I just didn't want them any more. No regrets.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ba1970 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 pm Yep, that's the one. HK P30SK V3.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 pm H-K p30 SK? That's supposed to be one of the best sub-compacts you can buy! I shot the full size and wished I had shot it when I was hunting for my first hand gun. Not that the VP-9 gives me any regrets! But I liked the P30 just as much as the VP9. I'm interested also in the VP9 SK, if I go for another semi-.
If I were to go for a hammer semi, that would be at the very top of my list. The V3 version, too. My VP9 mags fit it, as well.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:
If I were to go for a hammer semi, that would be at the very top of my list. The V3 version, too. My VP9 mags fit it, as well.

ba1970 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:28 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:

To go off on a tangent, while there's a superior "coolness factor" to the P30 SK V3, I would see the VP9 SK as more practical. Though I think shooting either would be pretty awesome (based on their full size big brothers). I try to be practical.
My son sees my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 as a toy and refuses even to shoot it, but I see it as the ultimate SHTF rifle, using 9mm ammo, and sharing Beretta 92fs mags with my CX4 Storm. It fits in a back pack and unfolds in literally seconds. I think only the Henry .22lr Survival rifle (AR-7?), aka the James Bond rifle, might be a smaller package, but takes longer to assemble.