Re: So what pistols would you put in a 10 gun, new shooter sample pack?

lurker wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:34 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm I just realized: Nobody called for match-lock or wheel-lock!
most of us have never seen, much less handled, much much less fired, still less owned one, so not really a viable option. still, rest assured that if i had one i'd be taking it to the range and letting other people shoot it. :bananadance:
I can't say I've handled or fired either a match-lock or a wheel-lock but I have seen them in museums.

I WAS being facetious! :no:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:56 pm
Bucolic wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:59 pm Uh huh.

I have found that introducing a newbie to a rifle first makes for a smoother transition to pistol. In my experience, the level of apprehension in handling a handgun is reduced if basic safety, trigger discipline, etc. are not totally alien.
Spoken by a real teacher, that's the gentlest way of introducing a newbie to firearms. Rifles are easier and a 410 bore for a shotgun is a good starter. Much depends on if the shooter is male or female but you present a logical transition.
Ok, I will be using this technique with new students from now on. Thanks to both of you.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Thanks, Hiker.

I start with a bolt action since it is easy to understand the mechanism. Stress safety - being muzzle aware and trigger control - breathing, stance etc. Then we move to a 10/22 since it’s a semi auto and is a good transition to a semi pistol. I don’t have a .22 revolver so my Mk III is next.

That may be enough for one day. If not, we go to larger caliber and/ or shotgun.

OK, since this is handgun only:

All calibers are 38 special or 9mm unless otherwise noted.

1. S&W model 10
2. Kahr TP9
3. S&W 686 plus 4 inch bbl half cylinder with 38's, other half with full defensive 357 mag
4. S&W 331 32 H&R mag (just because I have one and you bitches don't)
5. 1911
6. Glock 17/19 (so they know what it's like to shoot a brick)
7. S&W 640 or similar
8. Charter Arms Snubbie (so they know what it's like to shoot a POS)
9. Sig P226
10. HiPoint full size 9 (so they know what it's like to shoot a POS)

No 22's since most folks I introduce to guns are women. They tend to latch onto the low recoil and refuse to go further. Let them get used to 9mm/38 special for a while.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm No 22's since most folks I introduce to guns are women. They tend to latch onto the low recoil and refuse to go further. Let them get used to 9mm/38 special for a while.
Interesting perspective!

For my wife's first day last summer, I loaded some .38s with 75 grain wadcutters (yes, 75 is not a typo) over a modest charge of Trail Boss. I'd have to find my notes, but I think they were around 600 FPS. After the .22s, I gave her those in the Model 19. They are substantially quieter than standard-velocity .22s, and similar or less recoil! After that, I gave her some "normal" .38s. Was I cheating? It worked out well, anyway.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.