Re: CC Choice For Significant Other

Bucolic wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 pm Just a data point: my wife had a hard time with an LCR IN .38 Spl. It really aggravated her arthritic hand to the extent that she would not shoot it.
Did you ever try these for reduced recoil? ".38 Special Short" New to me...I just turned them up in a search, but the couple of boxes of more conventional Magtech ammo I've shot worked fine, so I'm OK with the brand at least. I guess they used a short case to give more consistent ignition with a reduced charge. Now .38 Spl revolvers can have a carbon ring problem, too, just like their magnum cousins! ;)
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... s?a=357941
Seems like those would be good for practice (if you don't reload, which opens up huge worlds of low-recoil .38, down to the level of a .22LR if needed).*

Then there's the Federal reduced recoil 110 grain .38 carry ammo. Probably won't expand reliably, based on gel test I looked up, so a flat-point bullet like this might be just as effective
http://atomicammunition.com/ammunition/ ... owboy.html

Or the full wadcutter, which at least might be closer to shooting to the sights. I expect all the light bullets will shoot pretty low from a fixed-sight revolver, but at close range I guess it doesn't matter much.

*More details on my ultra-light .38 handloads:
viewtopic.php?p=644826#p644826
viewtopic.php?p=669618#p669618
viewtopic.php?p=669736#p669736
The 75 grain .38 wadcutters were purchased from Western Bullet. Matt's Bullets also sells them.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Wisdomseeker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:44 am Lotta good suggestions here. Only comment i'll make, as a former cop, is you sacrifice lethality (32acp) at your peril. The "break contact" tactic is always good for a civilian, but NOT a valid "plan A". Perp gets a vote, & the faster you terminate a gunfight, the less shot you get. My pen/expansion tests w/380acp (specifically rem golden saber 102gr BJHP vs 147gr GS BJHP 9mm) shows near identical depth & expansion. I would assume other premium defensive loads will perform similarly. Be certain they feed in your wpn.
Some people shy away from .380 because of the snap. 32ACP and 38 Special were fine until we all decided we needed hand cannons. Some people won't shoot anything over 32ACP, so it is sometimes the "best" caliber for someone who cannot physically shoot a larger caliber without pain or easily lift a heavier pistol. The best weapon is sometimes the one you can carry and shoot.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

CC Choice For Significant Other

So a couple more thoughts...

1. Had the opportunity to go to the local Academy and handle both the EZ380 and the Sig P365. I think the EZ380 slide will do the trick. I intend to bring SO up there with me next time to look at it herself. And then it will be a question of semi versus revolver (they had multiple LCRs to look at as well). I also got to handle the P365. Really impressive and probably the first gun, to include the G43, that has made me reconsider my devotion to my Rosewood P938. The grip was fantastic and it felt great in my hand. Dimensionally very similar to (only slightly larger than) the 938. I feel like I could still pocket carry with the right holster and shorts/pants. I think I could also carry more comfortably. i.e. not condition 1). That likely translates to me carrying more often. 10 rds vs 6-7. Think I will be watching for a possible sale.

2. Conceal carry purpose. Admittedly I’m no ‘experienced operator’ and defer to people like Claude Werner, but am thinking about the idea that breaking contact should be the primary goal of civilian CC. I’ve read other experts suggest that threatening to use a weapon to change a ‘bad actor’s’ behavior is a slippery slope to trapping the CC holder into a potentially untenable course of events. Likewise shooting to hurt or incapacitate but not kill creates a risk to the CC holder of among other things, legal action, etc. Suggesting that it’s the holders judgement/discretion to draw a weapon, but if they do, must be prepared to use it for its ultimate defensive purpose.

I honestly don’t know what I’ll do if/when I am in a situation where I decide to use a concealed weapon. I hope my judgment is sound, and the circumstances such that all goals get appropriately met.
Last edited by DamnYankee on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DamnYankee wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm I honestly don’t know what I’ll do if/when I am in a situation where I decide to use a concealed weapon. I hope my judgment is sound, and the circumstances such that all goals get appropriately met.
I believe you honestly thinking about it is the best approach any of us can hope for. There is far too much "I'll just shoot the fucker" mentality out there (not to suggest that licensed CCW people are a problem, just the internet commando mentality). Just like voting, reality is nuanced and often trying to make the most out of the choice of turd sandwiches you've been presented with. ;)

While I am not able to carry due to location-based policy, I have the honest conversation with myself about the "what ifs" in my home. We will bear the mental scars for life from such an event, no matter which way it goes, so avoidance is always the preferred option.

As a very short guy, 5'2" if it's a good day, I can attest that there are a few pistols I have that just fit me for daily carry. The 238 is an obvious one, a joy to shoot, but the sticker price can be a bit of a shock. A while back, I stumbled across Chiappa's MC14, which is essentially a Beretta 84. It's .380 with heft, so recoil is almost nothing, 13 round magazine, and it has in my opinion one of the most comfortable DA triggers I've ever felt.

DamnYankee wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm Had the opportunity to go to the local Academy and handle both the EZ380 and the Sig P365. I think the EZ380 slide will do the trick. I intend to bring SO up there with me next time to look at it herself. And then it will be a question of semi versus revolver (they had multiple LCRs to look at as well). I also got to handle the P365. Really impressive and probably the first gun, to include the G43, that has made me reconsider my devotion to my Rosewood P938. The grip was fantastic and it felt great in my hand. Dimensionally very similar to (only slightly larger than) the 938. I feel like I could still pocket carry with the right holster and shorts/pants. I think I could also carry more comfortably. i.e. not condition 1). That likely translates to me carrying more often. 10 rds vs 6-7. Think I will be watching for a possible sale.
How did the search go? I have seen the EZ380 for $299 around the interwebs.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Expect this recommendation will go over like a lead balloon - BUT the Remington R51GEN2 is a nice sized pistol and easy to jack slide. The only down side is field tear down and reassembly for me due to arthritus in hands, but it carries well with no snag points and can be cocked using pants pocket, belt or any straight edge (table top). Purse or fanny pack carry in good leather holster or Remora would work well.

viewtopic.php?p=607473#p607473
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.