Re: Finally...a SA that pleases muchly

That is one beautiful revolver. I can imagine a western town Sheriff wearing that next to his badge in a shoulder holster similar to the cross draw holster you got. Not exactly CCW but more as “useful accessory” for its good looks.

I assume the birds-head grip allows the Single Action Army pistol to “roll-up” the hand when fired even more than the original grip design. I would like to try it. Not a design made for quick follow up shots but takes all the recoil away from the palm of the hand to be absorbed more slowly by the pinky fingers. But all Colt SAA revolvers tends to feel that way.

I own the convertible 4” Ruger New Vaquero in.45 ACP/LC that looks more like the traditional Colt SAA. It is also a fun, comfortable shooter. You can toss 230gr lead downrange all day and smile the whole time.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: Finally...a SA that pleases muchly

Bisbee wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:02 pm That is one beautiful revolver. I can imagine a western town Sheriff wearing that next to his badge in a shoulder holster similar to the cross draw holster you got. Not exactly CCW but more as “useful accessory” for its good looks.

I assume the birds-head grip allows the Single Action Army pistol to “roll-up” the hand when fired even more than the original grip design. I would like to try it. Not a design made for quick follow up shots but takes all the recoil away from the palm of the hand to be absorbed more slowly by the pinky fingers. But all Colt SAA revolvers tends to feel that way.

I own the convertible 4” Ruger New Vaquero in.45 ACP/LC that looks more like the traditional Colt SAA. It is also a fun, comfortable shooter. You can toss 230gr lead downrange all day and smile the whole time.
Negatory, good buddy. Birds-head grips on single action revolvers is an historic aberration. The grip-frame design was first used on the M1877 which was either the first double-action revolver or at least Colt's first. Subsequent models would evolve into the double action we've known for all these decades. When the reproductions started, they presented the birds-head grip on single-actions, and everyone was fine with it.
My personal experience with these grips is nil, but what I've heard is you want to keep your ammo down to what they shot in the 1880's, meaning no faster than 850fps. When you shoot anything 1000fps+, it gets really unpleasant. Your mileage may vary.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic