Eric Swalwell 2020

Running on gun prohibition.
Swalwell running for White House on gun control: report
The Atlantic reported Thursday that Swalwell will announce his plans during an appearance on CBS's "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert," where he will be joined by Cameron Kasky, a survivor of the 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

Swalwell, who is hosting a town hall on gun control next week in Florida, did not confirm his plans to The Atlantic, but said he thinks gun control should be a top issue in 2020.

“We are doing a town hall in Parkland,” he told The Atlantic. “And I do believe that gun safety has to be a top 2020 issue.”

Re: Eric Swalwell 2020

I agree with Shinzen, a nothing. So he's Dem candidate number 18 and after a few debates and primaries the pool will get much smaller as money runs out. The young male candidates who think they have that Kennedy-esque appeal - O'Rourke, Buttigieg and now Swalwell. JFK was unique and had a strong political machine behind him manipulated by his dad.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Just another reason to be proud of California’s Democratic establishment :sarcasm:

I wish we could get a proper left leaning opposition party in this state to reign this kind of thing in now that the Republicans have been marginalised.
"Time in an illusion, lunchtime, doubly so." Ford Prefect

Are the Dems going to keep adding candidates until there is only one Dem left to vote for someone else?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Soon the winnowing will begin and the swooning over the latest entry will end. For most of the candidates, it's kind of like buying a lottery ticket. Or March Madness: 68 teams enter, 1 team wins it all.
The Pubs had 17 in 2015. How many did the Dems have in 2007? I think there's 'way to much pearl-clutching, particularly by the ossified DNC leadership. They want someone "serious" like Joe Biden, because THEY have learned zilch since 2015.

Sitting Senators and Congresspersons rarely get elected: Garfield, Harding, Kennedy, and Obama are the only 4 out of all 45 presidents. Of the last 6 President, 4 had been or were governors. Yet not one Democratic governor has emerged from the pack or gotten much ink. Hell, Hogan of Maryland has gotten more attention as a primary challenge to Trump!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Swalwell on proposed assault weapons ban: 'Keep your pistols, keep your long rifles, keep your shotguns'
In Sunday's interview, Swalwell said the ban would come with criminal consequences for people who did not participate in the buy-back, but also suggested an "alternative, which would be to keep them at a hunting club or a shooting range."

He said that the US should follow Australia and New Zealand, which both moved quickly to put in place new gun measures after deadly shootings and that the weapons covered under his policy were "devastating" and inspired fear.

"It's not just the violence that they've caused, it's the fear, the immeasurable fear that our children live in because they are still on our streets," Swalwell said. "I want to get rid of that fear."
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

I don't think Swalwell will go too far. He offers nothing new, nothing others don't offer, and is focusing on doing something almost certain to overturned by this Supreme Court.
I believe he's from Iowa but I don't see anything that will appear to the voters we need in the swing states, nor do I see him exciting anyone in the primaries.

But I've been wrong before. Still, the only Democrat I'd have SERIOUS trouble voting for is Andrew Yang, with his direct attack on a 3000+ year old Jewish tradition, circumcision, which early studies indicates reduces significantly (but doesn't eliminate by any means) risk of acquiring STDs, particularly AIDS.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am I don't think Swalwell will go too far.
Could be.

On CNN Swalwell tried to sell the idea his proposal "was not a step toward broader gun bans." I can think of no examples of firearm restriction regimes in which this has been the case.
Swalwell on proposed assault weapons ban: 'Keep your pistols, keep your long rifles, keep your shotguns'
"You know, keep your pistols, keep your long rifles, keep your shotguns," Swalwell said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union" with Jake Tapper when asked about anxiety from gun owners that an assault weapons ban could be an incremental step to a larger gun ban.
Gee. Thanks, Swalwell.
He said that the US should follow Australia and New Zealand, which both moved quickly to put in place new gun measures after deadly shootings and that the weapons covered under his policy were "devastating" and inspired fear.
And both of which incrementally increased their restrictions.
"It's not just the violence that they've caused, it's the fear, the immeasurable fear that our children live in because they are still on our streets," Swalwell said. "I want to get rid of that fear."
I'm pretty sure the violence was caused by the perpetrators rather than rifles. With regard to the fear, it's not the existence of semi-automatic carbines instilling fear in children. Also, government often benefits from the promotion of fear, so it's hard to believe a US House member running a campaign based on promoting fear wants to "get rid of that fear."

featureless wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:55 am Isn't this the same asshole that suggesting nuking gun owners was a fine plan?
Did Democrat Rep. Eric Swalwell ‘Suggest Nuking’ Gun Owners Who Resist Confiscation?
Mixture

What's True
In a tweet on 16 November, Swalwell responded to a gun rights enthusiast who said the Democrats' proposal to confiscate or buy semi-automatic rifles would result in "war" due to resistance from the gun owners, stating "it would be a short war" because "the government has nukes."

What's False
Swalwell quickly insisted that his reference to the government's possession of nuclear weapons was intended as no more than a joke and emphasized that he was not warning gun owners about such a response to their (hypothetical) resistance to gun confiscation.

featureless wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:40 am Yes, it is more nuanced than I said, of course. Still an asshole that thinks nuking the dissent (sorry, insurgents) over gun control is acceptable, even jokingly.
Yes, healing the division between people with tactical nuclear weapons is just a hilarious knee-slapping joke. Sound like anyone you know?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Fighting back against Booker.
https://twitter.com/ericswalwell/status ... 24384?s=20
Eric Swalwell
@ericswalwell
There are 15 million assault weapons in America. A ban on future sales does ZERO to protect us from the 15 million out there.

Here’s my plan: BAN & BUY-BACK all of them OR restrict possession to a range/hunting club.

I’m the only candidate calling for this.

#EnoughIsEnough
12:55 PM · May 6, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

On the bright side, a Swallwell or Booker can bloviate, but this would never happen in a 2020+ POTUS. Good luck passing something like that with the current SCOTUS. Congress wouldn't let it through, either. That's why they don't scare me.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:44 am Good luck passing something like that with the current SCOTUS. Congress wouldn't let it through, either. That's why they don't scare me.
The fact that it is a primary campaigning platform for several of the candidates does scare me. No, nothing of the sort will pass unless dems hold the house, senate and president slots, but the outward in your face of it is very worrisome. Recall, the dem party is supposed to stand for civil rights. This is the equivalent of running on banning the internet to solve human trafficking or requiring licenses for voting or only allowing abortion at one specific clinic. The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right these people are openly promoting abolishing and people are cheering it.

Rosa Parks didn't need to sit at the front of the bus, but she had every goddamned right to. Women didn't need to vote, but they had every goddamned right to. I don't need to own an AR15, but I have every goddamned right to. When we substitute "need" in place of a right, we lose our freedom, especially as subsequent rights are supplanted by the falsity of "no one needs." So, this is not merely about guns. It is about running on restricting citizens' constitutional rights by banning an entire class of arms, something SCOTUS has already said is unconstitutional.

Swalwell tried to revive his campaign on The View by doubling down on an issue dear to Democrats. Given the number of candidates who are trying to out-prohibit each other, focus groups must be telling the campaigns firearm prohibition is a winner. Since he has the most aggressive message of punishment for gun owners, which resonates with his party, Swalwell must be failing elsewhere.
2020 presidential candidate Eric Swalwell on 'The View': 'Ban and buy back every single assault weapon in America'
"Ban and buy back every single assault weapon in America. I'm the only candidate calling for that," Swalwell said on ABC's "The View." The California congressman has extensively called for a gun buyback program in an effort to ban the possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons.