Joe Biden 2020

Biden: 'I'm not sorry for anything that I have ever done'
“The fact of the matter is I made it clear that if I made anyone feel [uncomfortable], I feel badly about that. It was never my intention. Ever," Biden said.

Asked again if he was sorry, Biden did not apologize for his actions.

"I’m sorry I didn’t understand more," Biden told reporters following a speech to a gathering of union workers. "I’m not sorry for any of my intentions. I’m not sorry for anything that I have ever done. I have never been disrespectful intentionally to a man or a woman. So that’s not the reputation I’ve had since I was in high school, for God’s sake."
NRA: Women coming out against Joe Biden are part of a liberal plot to ‘take your guns away’

Re: Joe Biden 2020

senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:13 pm Hillary failed to win a majority of white women. In the age of MeToo, Biden is playing with fire. I think it shows how detached he is from the zeitgeist (sp?).
It's not just him. The dem establishment is pushing these candidates. Sanders terrifies them because he won't play by the rules. Uncle Joe will, though.

featureless wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:55 pm
senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:13 pm Hillary failed to win a majority of white women. In the age of MeToo, Biden is playing with fire. I think it shows how detached he is from the zeitgeist (sp?).
It's not just him. The dem establishment is pushing these candidates. Sanders terrifies them because he won't play by the rules. Uncle Joe will, though.
I was never a Bernie Bro, but I really did like him better than the alternatives. Bernie was never anti-2A. I trust him more than any of the other Dems running.

I actually think you are right about most of the Dems fearing Sanders. His ideas were wildly popular. So popular that Trump lied and pretended he would do some of the same things. Now, it is difficult to know which Dem candidates are just lying about supporting his platform ideas or whether I can trust them. Overall, I would prefer a woman of color. Is there anyone besides Bernie who can be trusted?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:35 pmOverall, I would prefer a woman of color. Is there anyone besides Bernie who can be trusted?
I can definitively tell you that person is NOT Harris, she's about as dishonest in her "progressivism" as they come. I'm not sold on Booker, he lost a lot of credibility with me during his antics in the Kavanaugh hearings. I actually still kind of like Tulsi Gabbard's platform, at least she's not lock step with everyone else and is very much engaged in environmental issues (my top priority). I've yet to come to any informed decision on most of the rest.

featureless wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 pm
K9s wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:35 pmOverall, I would prefer a woman of color. Is there anyone besides Bernie who can be trusted?
I can definitively tell you that person is NOT Harris, she's about as dishonest in her "progressivism" as they come. I'm not sold on Booker, he lost a lot of credibility with me during his antics in the Kavanaugh hearings. I actually still kind of like Tulsi Gabbard's platform, at least she's not lock step with everyone else and is very much engaged in environmental issues (my top priority). I've yet to come to any informed decision on most of the rest.
Well, Warren is probably my favorite next to Bernie. Biden is down the list for me.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:13 pmIn the age of MeToo, Biden is playing with fire. I think it shows how detached he is from the zeitgeist (sp?).
If the DNC were to anoint Biden, #MeToo and #believeallwomen would carry about as much weight as they have with Justin Fairfax. Now that he has announced, it looks like Biden is being given a pass by the media on any improprieties. The narrative is Biden is an older man who has been insensitive to changing social norms but has evolved, so it's all good now. Besides, Biden previously offered an apology video.

K9s wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:03 pm
featureless wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 pm
Well, Warren is probably my favorite next to Bernie. Biden is down the list for me.
Warren's speech at She The People was electrifying. Sanders really fumbled over the question why Black voters, especially Black women, should vote for him. So did Beto, who was totally speechless for several seconds. But Warren stepped up to the plate and hit a home run. At this point, she's the only woman who I don't see as deeply flawed (Klobuchar, Gilibrand, Gabbard, and Harris). Then, again, so are pretty much all the men...if I've even heard of them. Frankly, senators historically don't do well in Presidential elections, and representatives do worse. Only 3 sitting senators and one sitting representative have been elected to President, and only one, Obama, didn't die in office (isn't THAT morbid!) Cabinet Secretaries have done a little better.

Biden's now in it and polls show him way ahead of the shit-stain. He needs to simply say he's made his mistakes, made his decisions based on the time, and that he's learned from them and be done. And he better be ready for what POC should vote for yet another White Guy, especially an old one.

So far, I like Warren very much, Julian Castro as well, but mixed feelings on Bernie and Joe.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Right after he announced his candidacy, he goes to the big Dem corporate donors.
Hours after officially entering the 2020 Democratic presidential field Thursday morning, former Vice President Joe Biden is expected to head to the Philadelphia home of Comcast executive David Cohen for a big-dollar fundraiser that will reportedly be attended by Democratic lawmakers, the CEO of insurance giant Independence Blue Cross, and other high-powered party players.
As Politico reported on the eve of Biden's 2020 announcement, the former vice president "raised the alarm about fundraising" in a conference call with top donors, expressing the need to have a big first-day haul.

"The money's important," Biden reportedly said during the call, according to a anonymous participant who recounted the remarks to Politico. "We're going to be judged by what we can do in the first 24 hours, the first week."

While Biden has vowed to join most other 2020 Democratic candidates in rejecting campaign contributions from lobbyists, HuffPost's Kevin Robillard pointed out that Biden's planned fundraiser with corporate executives Thursday evening "shows the limitations of such a pledge."

Though Cohen is technically not a registered lobbyist, he directs Comcast's lobbying operations—a distinction that critics said allows him to skirt federal lobbying regulations.

According to the Philadelphia Business Journal, "Cohen sent an email to potential contributors Wednesday soliciting donations of $2,800, the maximum federal primary contribution for the event."
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/ ... mcast-blue

You can’t teach an old Dem new tricks. Maybe Jill Biden would be better than Joe.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

He STILL needs 65,000 donors to get on the debate stage. That's one good thing the DNC has done (is there a 2nd?). You can't just get $5 million from 10 rich people giving you $500,000 each.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Ha ha ha... Mr. “Big F-n Deal” is gonna come and save our insurance industry written Obamacare by reinstating mandatory purchase. -Wonderful.

This issue alone is going to push Medicare for All candidates, like Bernie, to the top.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I would still vote for Biden or Beto versus DJT.

It is a long way before the primaries and I am more interested in helping to flip GA blue. Texans need to focus donations on Texas. If they come out to vote in local elections, they probably won't vote for DJT

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I'll vote for any Dem in lieu of DJT. I'm not crazy about Joe or Bern, but IF either head the ticket and pick a young and dynamic Veep (many to choose from IMO - male or female) and promise not to run for a second term I'll be a happy camper. Frankly, I tired of tired old men and women and looking for youthful in second spot that can carry on for two terms should they win in 2020. I'd prefer a woman on top of ticket with same proviso. Regardless, Trump needs to go down - PERIOD - there is no alternative to this goal.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I think it is just as important to flip the Senate and keep the House. The courts are a pro-business/anti-worker lost cause. I don't trust Biden to be progressive, but he might stave off total annihilation of the middle class.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:34 am
senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:13 pmIn the age of MeToo, Biden is playing with fire. I think it shows how detached he is from the zeitgeist (sp?).
If the DNC were to anoint Biden, #MeToo and #believeallwomen would carry about as much weight as they have with Justin Fairfax. Now that he has announced, it looks like Biden is being given a pass by the media on any improprieties. The narrative is Biden is an older man who has been insensitive to changing social norms but has evolved, so it's all good now. Besides, Biden previously offered an apology video.
The only ones going overboard on this are Democrats, as usual they got their .... in a twist and haven't figured out how to get out of it. They act more and more immature.

These are early days, but some pollsters have been running heats between Democratic candidates and Trump and Biden is beating Trump. One day is an eternity in politics and things can change as we get closer to November 2020. I haven't decided yet, but like YT I'm looking to see who can win.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... _election/
Last edited by highdesert on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

K9s wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm I think it is just as important to flip the Senate and keep the House. The courts are a pro-business/anti-worker lost cause. I don't trust Biden to be progressive, but he might stave off total annihilation of the middle class.
Dems HAVE to win senate no matter what. Anything less is failure.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

For Biden, probably his biggest Achilles Heel will be Anita Hill, and that HE could have made Clarence Thomas, one of the worst nominees in living memory and the worst until Brett Kavanaugh to be confirmed, just another bad choice, like Clement Hanesworth, G.Harold Carswell, and Robert Bork.
Anita Hill cannot forgive him, will not support him, and, frankly, I don't blame her. Thomas was right: It was a high-tech lynching, but not of him. Prof. Hill was the victim of the lynching and Joe could have prevented it. Yes, it was 27 years ago, but if there's ANYTHING in his past he has to atone for, it's that.

Of course, Trump nominated and pushed through the awful Brett Kavanaugh, attacked, AT LEAST 21 women (who knows how many Brett attacked?), so compared to Trump, Biden's an angel.

YankeeTarheel wrote:Thomas was right: It was a high-tech lynching, but not of him. Prof. Hill was the victim of the lynching and Joe could have prevented it. Yes, it was 27 years ago, but if there's ANYTHING in his past he has to atone for, it's that.
This right here. I'm not completely opposed to Biden, not excited about him either and nearly anything is better than the sorry sack of tangerines we have in office right now, but we know this is going to be brought up, often, he'd better have a rock solid approach to dealing with these questions in a believable way or he won't make it past the 2nd round of primaries.

Biden needs a believable narrative akin to "I'm old enough to remember (old guy stuff). I've been around a long time. Times have changed and so have I. Just like our country, I've made some mistakes over my life, but I've learned from them and will promise (insert promise)."

It's kinda of the speech HRC needed to give in 2015.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."