Re: Found some old .410

First time I ever shot a gun, about 8 years old, was a .410. And yes it had a cardboard shell. They all did in those days. If the paper casing is intact, I say go ahead and shoot it.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

@STLWaffles: Hiker's right about the older ammo. Turns out ammunition is pretty durable stuff if it's been kept dry. Ammosmith is known to have shot 115-year-old black powder cartridges that had been sitting in the desert heat for decades. Fired just great, and he now reloads for that old antique rifle.

FS, will plastic .410 hulls not work for your application in this...well, case?
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

I might be wary shooting them in a newer autoloader or pump. They were never designed for paper hulls. I don't think anything catastrophic would happen, but a torn hull and powder and shot inside the action would suck.

Also, for the first couple of rounds, I would check the barrel to make sure a wad didn't get lodged in there. Not sure what they used back then, but a squib load with a plastic wad will give you a really bad day.

Last...take pictures of these jewels! I'd love to see the box art.

I can remember finding paper hulls in the hills above LA in the 1970s. Haven't seen one since.

Congrats!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

When I was a teenager in the late 1990's I actually found a full box of Winchester Ranger #4 shot in 20 gauge at a local flea-market all were there and they are paper hull. Picked them up for about 10 bucks and have kept them in unfired condition ever since. It even has the original price tag and a leaflett dating from the late 1960's