Re: Kel-tec KSG bullpup review

Interesting design. Lot of firepower.

I notice the pistol grip is left open, like the one on my Kel-Tec Sub2000 when it is awaiting a magazine. If if I had a KSG, I'd sooner or later get confused (especially if I was using it in a 3-gun event or something) and try to jam a pistol magazine into that hole. Oops.

Also, too, when I grow up I want to have beard with braided pigtails in it.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Another thought:

The idea of using the two tubes for different kinds of shells is interesting, but possibly concerning. Sooner or later, some cop or civilian is going to get the bright idea ot load "less lethal" rounds in one tube and buckshot in the other. Not a good idea.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

larrymod wrote:Another thought:

The idea of using the two tubes for different kinds of shells is interesting, but possibly concerning. Sooner or later, some cop or civilian is going to get the bright idea ot load "less lethal" rounds in one tube and buckshot in the other. Not a good idea.
to be fair, "less lethal" is just that, less, but not wholly safe. Less lethal rounds do kill, so if your pointing it at something, you still better be doing it with the whole intent to kill.
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

Fractured wrote:What are the chances that is ca legal?
Probably zero.

Has Hawks actually reviewed a weapon that gets a poor review? He's like a bearded Guns and Ammo, just one big paid advertisement.
"Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized."

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

Is this legal in California?

There was a lot of feverish discussion about this on the KTOG and Calguns.net forums when the KSG bullpup was first announced.

The upshot is that it is legal and being sold in CA.

Not too high on my list of must-haves, however. If I felt the need for a massive overkill shotgun, I'd probably go with the Saiga 12, which is also CA legal with a 10 round mag and a bullet button.

GlockLobster wrote:
Probably zero.

Has Hawks actually reviewed a weapon that gets a poor review? He's like a bearded Guns and Ammo, just one big paid advertisement.
It's a long gun and a shotgun at that, so there is no silly handgun safety testing requirements It meets the length requirements. If they made magazine plugs limiting it to ten rounds, it'd fly.
This place can go fuck itself.

bumDharma wrote:
GlockLobster wrote:
Probably zero.

It's a long gun and a shotgun at that, so there is no silly handgun safety testing requirements It meets the length requirements. If they made magazine plugs limiting it to ten rounds, it'd fly.
The consensus on the KT forum is that you don't have to alter anything. It uses two separate magazine tubes, seven rounds each, that can only be used one magazine at a time. The belief is, that is legal under the wording of the CA 10 round mag law.

larrymod wrote: The consensus on the KT forum is that you don't have to alter anything. It uses two separate magazine tubes, seven rounds each, that can only be used one magazine at a time. The belief is, that is legal under the wording of the CA 10 round mag law.
Eeeenteresting. I have definitely been keeping my eye on this little guy. I am hoping they come here to the Golden State soon then, even if I need a new shotgun like I need I need a hole in the head.

*hugs his new Mossberg 930 SPX*

Seriously, my love for the scattergun is an obsession. I have six of them already. >.>

larrymod wrote:
bumDharma wrote:I need a new shotgun like I need I need a hole in the head.
There is something seriously disturbing about that metaphor.
Reminds me of a WS Burroughs quote regarding Hemingway's suicide..."The hole in the middle of his forehead where the bullet went in was about the size of a pencil. The hole in the back of his head where the bullet came out was big enough to put your fist in if it was a small fist and you wanted to put it there...."
If you click the link you can hear the complete quote by Burroughs himself, it's the immediate beginning, the first 20 seconds. The story itself I love, "After-Dinner Conversation (An Atrocious Conceit) / Where He Was Going"
http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/william- ... nversation

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

GlockLobster wrote:
larrymod wrote:
bumDharma wrote:I need a new shotgun like I need I need a hole in the head.
There is something seriously disturbing about that metaphor.
Reminds me of a WS Burroughs quote regarding Hemingway's suicide..."The hole in the middle of his forehead where the bullet went in was about the size of a pencil. The hole in the back of his head where the bullet came out was big enough to put your fist in if it was a small fist and you wanted to put it there...."
If you click the link you can hear the complete quote by Burroughs himself, it's the immediate beginning, the first 20 seconds. The story itself I love, "After-Dinner Conversation (An Atrocious Conceit) / Where He Was Going"
http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/william- ... nversation
I was actually thinking of Hemmingway's suicide when I wrote the comment above. That's because I remembered that he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a shotgun.

Which seems at odds with the Burrough's description, which seems to describe a rifle or pistol wound. But, a/c wikipedia, I am right and Burroughs is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemmingway

Shotgun to the mouth (not the forehead).

But why would he have loaded two shells?

Great to get into a discussion about Ernest, who I like less and less the older I get but back to the shotgun.

That thing is just dumb, IMHO. Ugly as fuck, ridiculously ungainly to wield, I'm sure and 100% designed to appeal to 300lb couch commandos and wanna-be Swatzis. Should sell a bunch. :roll:
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:Great to get into a discussion about Ernest, who I like less and less the older I get but back to the shotgun.

That thing is just dumb, IMHO. Ugly as fuck, ridiculously ungainly to wield, I'm sure and 100% designed to appeal to 300lb couch commandos and wanna-be Swatzis. Should sell a bunch. :roll:
To each their own. I am sure you own some gun or another that appeals to <insert stereotype group here> that people roll their eyes about and scoff. Why do you feel the need to disparage what some people want in a gun?

As for being ungainly to wield, well, stocks are a matter of preference, but the bullpup design will likely make that gun swing really easily. This might make it a very attractive option to three gun shooters that compete in divisions requiring pump shotguns.

It's not the shotgun I'd haul out to the clays range or on a pheasant hunt, but if I were going to shoot at my friend's three gun course, I'd be tempted to check it out.

In other words, opinions are like assholes. Hey, you got something in common with opinions! :D

larrymod wrote: http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/william- ... nversation

Shotgun to the mouth (not the forehead).

But why would he have loaded two shells?
The first half of the quote is Hemingway actually, the second half is Burroughs play on it.
You should listen to the whole quote were he mentions
"...The hole in the back of his his head were the heavy duckload came out was as big as your foot...even if you didn't want to put it there."

Burroughs, who looked up to EH, was poking fun at Hemingways writing style in regards to how Ernie would of described it.

bumDharma wrote:
Mason wrote:Great to get into a discussion about Ernest, who I like less and less the older I get but back to the shotgun.

To each their own. I am sure you own some gun or another that appeals to <insert stereotype group here> that people roll their eyes about and scoff. Why do you feel the need to disparage what some people want in a gun?

As for being ungainly to wield, well, stocks are a matter of preference, but the bullpup design will likely make that gun swing really easily. This might make it a very attractive option to three gun shooters that compete in divisions requiring pump shotguns.

It's not the shotgun I'd haul out to the clays range or on a pheasant hunt, but if I were going to shoot at my friend's three gun course, I'd be tempted to check it out.

In other words, opinions are like assholes. Hey, you got something in common with opinions! :D
Consume away dude.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Ungainly is not the right word for the KSG - but ugly, maybe. The question is when/how/why you'd need/want/gotta have a fifteen-round scattergun? The small size is great for rounding corners, but I sure wouldn't want to put 200 rounds through it in a single day's class. Owie.

Another PNW gun forum that I read has some first-hand reviews that decry its cheap, fragile, plastic feel. Plus, it has the widest pattern that anybody's ever seen on a 12 ga., like under-twenty-yards useful range, if that much.

If I got another, it'd probably be the Mossy 930 SPX. Unless Kel-Tec decides to make an autoloader version of the KSG!