Re: Rock Island Armory M5 - Review.

Armscor and gun manufacturing in the Philippines is interesting. They make a solid little .38, of course the 1911's and shotguns.

In 1898 the US took over the Philippines and managed to upset a social structure that had been in existence for centuries under the Spanish. At least 2 'wars' were fought, one against those Filipinos that wanted independence, and a second against the Muslim Moros in the south. The Moros were tough customers, may have been taking opiates to fight, and had wooden armor and shields. The standard army revolver in .38 Colt wasn't very effective against them, so the solution was the .45acp and 1911.

Also being a jungle war, before the time of automatic weapons that could be carried by a single man, the best choice for limited visibility combat was a shotgun, specifically one with a fast reload and pretty tolerant of dirt.

SO 100 years later, and Armscor is making 1911's, pumps, and revolvers.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Just to drag this forward again, looks like I finally got the go-ahead to get one. Something about passing the first MS certification test I've taken in 11 years or so. :yahoo:

The nickle finish model is tempting, just not sure I want to be that careful over what cleaning options I'd have open to me at that point.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:Just to drag this forward again, looks like I finally got the go-ahead to get one. Something about passing the first MS certification test I've taken in 11 years or so. :yahoo:

The nickle finish model is tempting, just not sure I want to be that careful over what cleaning options I'd have open to me at that point.
I've been living with mine for a few months now and have fired numerous rounds through it. I'm very satisfied, wouldn't think twice about buying another Rock Island gun. It has definitely deserved its place as my Bedside Gun.

TheViking wrote:
ErikO wrote:Just to drag this forward again, looks like I finally got the go-ahead to get one. Something about passing the first MS certification test I've taken in 11 years or so. :yahoo:

I've been living with mine for a few months now and have fired numerous rounds through it. I'm very satisfied, wouldn't think twice about buying another Rock Island gun. It has definitely deserved its place as my Bedside Gun.
I finally got to handle one today, did the 'vertical slide' check. I have never had an action open by gravity on a new shotgun.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:
TheViking wrote:

I finally got to handle one today, did the 'vertical slide' check. I have never had an action open by gravity on a new shotgun.
Yeah, that part is pretty damn smooth. It'll do it with a fired or unfired round too but I find that I don't hit that release tab unless I want to.

senorgrand wrote:For the purposes of WWI trench engagements (or tunnel ratting) , I'd want slamfire (actually, slide fire) and and a pig sticker. Other than that, I agree. I just meant it looked like it had a lot in common with those old timers.

I think bayos are only good for getting you in trouble. Unless I was after cape buffalos....having a Mosin with a pointy end would be like a mini-pike. ;)
Historically the bayonet lost its usefulness when the semi-automatic rifle and handgun became commonly available. It is a lot easier to just pump a few rounds than poke a bayonet, specially in close quarters combat. See the first Indiana Jones movie for a great example. Any auto loading rifles that had a bayonet only had them out of tradition, or because the people in charge were old fashioned and afraid of change. Hence the SKS.
Can you think of a less maneuverable knife than that at the end of a rifle?