Re: Mossberg 500 vs 590

Sorry, I found the answer. Per Wikipedia,
The primary difference between the Model 500 and Model 590 is in magazine tube design. The Model 500 magazines are closed at the muzzle end, and the barrel is held in place by bolting into a threaded hole at the end of the magazine tube. Model 590 magazines are designed to be opened at the muzzle end, and the barrels fit around the magazine tube and are held on by a nut at the end. The Model 500 magazine facilitates easy barrel changes, as the barrel bolt serves no function other than holding the barrel in place. The Model 590 magazine facilitates easy cleaning and parts replacement, as removing the nut allows removal of the magazine spring and follower.
There are other differences, including safety and trigger guard material.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks for the timely question and answer, Jaywalker.

Big 5 has a sale on 590s ($399, supposedly $100 off regular price) and I am looking at them...
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Hmm. A bayonet lug - I hadn't thought of that. I can see some use for that when I've emptied the magazine. Well, it's either that or use the firearm as a club, and I'm pretty sure that would overstress the alloy receiver...
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

particleman wrote:The receivers are identical. With the swap of barrel, magazine + nut, you can convert a 500 to a 590 or back in the other direction.
Truth.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter