Re: My experience with combat/ HD shotguns...

I'm a fan of both Winchester (owned two 1300's one in 12 the other in 20) and Mossberg's 500 series (two 500E .410's)

Due to an injury a few years back I found I couldn't shoot the 12 gauge anymore, I still own the 20 but it's being kept in the safe for sentimental reasons.

I bought the 500E's because of the safety location and other well thought out design features, and the fact that they were the only .410 pumps that didn't cost an arm or leg got my attention. The wood stocked model 50104 fit me well but I found the vent rib barrel too long for my intended purpose, instead of sawing off the barrel I looked for a factory 18.5 inch tube that would fit it. I found that the magazine capacity for it was the same as a pistol gripped model in their special purpose line the model 50455 and though not really a big fan of PGO guns in any gauge I bought it for the barrel and to use it for spare parts in case the wood stocked gun had a parts breakage issue ( which hasn't happened yet thankfully).

Later on I found out that the company offers spare .410 security barrels for a low cost and bought a spare as well as a 13.5 inch synthetic stock to replace the PGO.

While I understand that many don't like the idea of a .410 as a defensive gun, they fit my needs very well, even more so with Federal 2-1/2 inch '000' buck and 3-inch #4 buck loads.

The point being the 500 is a well thought out gun that is great to have on hand in any gauge.

I too have a Mossberg 500 in .410 bore. I like it a lot, particularly since there are now a number of options for SD loads. As pointed out by Pfletch, Federal is marketing 000 and number 4 buckshot for a very reasonable price. Also, Remington sells 00 buck loads yielding 4 balls at 1300 fps muzzle velocity. That is like 80% of my .38 Spl LCR in a two-inch group at seven yards with one trigger pull. I am not concerned about over penetration in my 1865 house far from the neighbors.

The .410 is also much less intimidating for my diminutive wife to shoot. With a light and a laser, it is a go-to gun for investigating night noises out by the barns and chicken coop.

I shot some patterns with this shotgun about a year ago and reported them here: http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... hp?t=17530

Bucolic wrote:I too have a Mossberg 500 in .410 bore. I like it a lot, particularly since there are now a number of options for SD loads. As pointed out by Pfletch, Federal is marketing 000 and number 4 buckshot for a very reasonable price. Also, Remington sells 00 buck loads yielding 4 balls at 1300 fps muzzle velocity. That is like 80% of my .38 Spl LCR in a two-inch group at seven yards with one trigger pull. I am not concerned about over penetration in my 1865 house far from the neighbors.

The .410 is also much less intimidating for my diminutive wife to shoot. With a light and a laser, it is a go-to gun for investigating night noises out by the barns and chicken coop.

I shot some patterns with this shotgun about a year ago and reported them here: http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... hp?t=17530

The patterns are the same from mine with '000'. #4 buck is a bit on the loose end but it's meant as a close range load for inside the house. The #4 Buck tightens up as expected with a full choke barrel (did a number on a chicken raiding stay awhile ago with it...one round using the full choke barrel at 10-15 yards and it was lights out on the spot).

As for what you said about it being a good option for the wife, to me the .410 fits very well into the family use gun category. Plenty of power for most tasks, light weight and low recoil even with serious loads.

One more thing about the ammo and the velocity difference between the larger pellet loads is that it seems the lower velocity loads are better on penetration, I won't say that I'm completely correct on it, but I felt it was worth some mention.