Long Tom 12G

WP_20130829_003.jpg
WP_20130829_002.jpg
Ancient shotgun marked only with "Long Tom", 12 Gauge Choke, and a serial number.

36" barrel! I read how the super length barrels were a benefit for black power but not so much for the smokeless. The benefit was extra oomph and a little more distance.

The forcing cone taper is very slight. I don't know what to think about that. Reading up on older guns I saw some warnings that cones designed for brass shells did not need room for the shell to expand when fired. Without this extra elbow room a modern shell could be too tight.

As for maker, there seems to be 2 major companies, Crescent and Meriden from about 1880-1930, that cranked them out with store name brands. Little to no records exist to track down specific time or place of manufacture.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy
Attachments
WP_20130829_004.jpg

Re: Long Tom 12G

Simmer down wrote:
WP_20130829_003.jpg
WP_20130829_002.jpg
Ancient shotgun marked only with "Long Tom", 12 Gauge Choke, and a serial number.

36" barrel! I read how the super length barrels were a benefit for black power but not so much for the smokeless. The benefit was extra oomph and a little more distance.

The forcing cone taper is very slight. I don't know what to think about that. Reading up on older guns I saw some warnings that cones designed for brass shells did not need room for the shell to expand when fired. Without this extra elbow room a modern shell could be too tight.

As for maker, there seems to be 2 major companies, Crescent and Meriden from about 1880-1930, that cranked them out with store name brands. Little to no records exist to track down specific time or place of manufacture.

I had one I paid $7.50 for way back in 1965. It was my duck gun, until I shot it loose using Magnum shells. It didn't float! :sarcasm: The steel was apparently a bit soft, so use light loads & check it for a sloppy fit when closed.
Merle from PA

Re: Long Tom 12G

That looks very similar to the Savage/Stevens 9478 10 gauge that I bought for laughs. My 10 gauge is obviously modern since it has a plastic trigger guard (though finding records on such guns is difficult and I have no idea how old it really is) but it too has a massive 36" barrel.
"Thought provoking quote."