Mossberg 590A1

I'd really like to buy the 590A1 for HD purposes but was curious about the different versions. How many are there for one? I want the 9 shot capacity version. Are all versions made for 3" shells? It seems like the 590A1 is hard to come by locally as know one seems to have it in stock.

What are your opinions on the gun itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Mossberg 590A1

I like the safety's position on the Mossberg but I prefer the action of the RIA M5. Also, the Armscor/RIA shotgun beats the hell out of the 590 on price.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Bucolic wrote:Hickok45 has a video on YouTube featuring the 590 and an 870. Worth a look.

Edit: I just searched and he did two videos on the 590A1 and another with the 870.
Just watched the video. Looks like the Mossberg beats the Remington by several factors, position of safety, durability & price. I looked at Remington's Wilson combat shotgun and it's priced @ well over $1000, while I could get the Mossberg for $500.

@ ErikO, what kind of reputation does rock island armory have? Any technical issues with the M5?

Carl_Spackler wrote:
Bucolic wrote:Hickok45 has a video on YouTube featuring the 590 and an 870. Worth a look.

Edit: I just searched and he did two videos on the 590A1 and another with the 870.
Just watched the video. Looks like the Mossberg beats the Remington by several factors, position of safety, durability & price. I looked at Remington's Wilson combat shotgun and it's priced @ well over $1000, while I could get the Mossberg for $500.

@ ErikO, what kind of reputation does rock island armory have? Any technical issues with the M5?

So far I have yet to hear a bad thing about their shotguns. It's one of the few that I have held still in the packing oil that you can hold the barrel towards the ceiling and release the action where the slide just falls open. Plus, it's under $250.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:
So far I have yet to hear a bad thing about their shotguns. It's one of the few that I have held still in the packing oil that you can hold the barrel towards the ceiling and release the action where the slide just falls open. Plus, it's under $250.
My only reservation with RIA is I've read they're made in the Philippines. I know Remington has had QC issues with their rifles so I'm not sure if this extends to their shotguns as well. So far I've yet to come across any negatives for mossberg

Carl_Spackler wrote:
ErikO wrote:
My only reservation with RIA is I've read they're made in the Philippines. I know Remington has had QC issues with their rifles so I'm not sure if this extends to their shotguns as well. So far I've yet to come across any negatives for mossberg

I beleive the influx of M5's are made in NV. Worst comes to it, that is now where all Armscor firearms in the US get sent to for any repair work. It's based off of the Winchester 1200 with a pair of action arms as opposed to Winchester's single arm. Plus, if you get it through Davidson's Gallery of Guns they will replace it if it breaks as long as you own it.

My little Mossberg 500 in .410 bore just works like it is supposed to. I had a problem with double feeds early on that is well known and is fixed by tweaking the interrupter. I like the safety position as well as the slide position -- trigger, safely, and slide can all be manipulated with one hand. Trigger break is pretty clean, not to heavy and not too light.

I think I see a 590 in my future as well.

Mossberg 590A1

Here are some of the pros and cons I can see from what I've researched:

Mossberg590A1
Pro: price, heavy duty barrel, passed mil-spec, aluminum safety & trigger guard.

Cons: some consider it too heavy, has aluminum receiver.

Remington 870 Wilson Combat
Pros: steel receiver, comes with ghost sites, by all accounts it's on par with the 590A1

Cons: too expensive

Winchester SPX Defender
Pros: seems to function like most other tactical pumps

Cons: made in turkey, has problems with low brass shells (whatever that means)

Remington 870 Express Tactical

Pros/Cons: I don't have enough info on this version, so if any of you have it and want to share your opinions that would be great.

Mason wrote:The 870 in any config is a good gun. The safety, in comparison to the Mossy, is no big deal if you are right handed.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge...
Pretty much this until you are dropping $1k+.

ErikO wrote:
Mason wrote:The 870 in any config is a good gun. The safety, in comparison to the Mossy, is no big deal if you are right handed.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge...
I guess that's kinda my point. Just buy a shotgun, they're cheap and there's lots of choices. Pimp it when you figure out what you don't like about it.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

ErikO wrote:

Ford, Chevy, Dodge...
that pretty much sums it up. I don't understand why the Wilson Combat 870 is going for around $1500 while the 590A1 is $1000 cheaper.

I'm also apprehensive about the 870 Express Tactical because the 870 Express is Remington's cheap budget gun and I don't like cheaply made goods. But like I said, I don't know enough about the 870 Express Tactical in terms of build quality and reliability to form an opinion.

I'm curious, hickock45 shoots both buckshot and slugs in the 590A1 and 870 - am I missing something? I thought you had to have a rifled barrel to shoot slugs, whereas a smooth bore is for buckshot. Are both shotguns smooth bore or do they have rifled barrels?

Sabot slugs in rifled barrels. Pumpkin balls in smooth bore.

Seriously, Carl, just buy a cheap pump and shoot it a little before you wade too deeply into all the SD/HD stuff. The cheapest 870 action can become whatever you want once you know what that is.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I think I'm now starting to lean towards the mossberg 500 tactical tri rail. I can get it for around $360 new and it has the features I want. It basically comes down to need versus want. I want a 590A1 but I don't need it. The 500 should still get the job done. I also looked at the maverick model 88, but it sounds like a cheap piece of crap.

Carl_Spackler wrote:I think I'm now starting to lean towards the mossberg 500 tactical tri rail. I can get it for around $360 new and it has the features I want. It basically comes down to need versus want. I want a 590A1 but I don't need it. The 500 should still get the job done. I also looked at the maverick model 88, but it sounds like a cheap piece of crap.

The Maverick is about as basic as you get and very cheaply made. You get what you pay for and I'd save your money for a real Mossberg.
LGC Texas - Vice President

I got an RIA m-5 the other day, and am pretty happy with it. The downside id that there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for it, and I have noticed that occasionally a shell gets stuck in the magazine and has to be pushed with your finger to loosen it so it will pop into the chamber. Not a big deal for just playing around, but not ideal for home defense.

Probably a good cleaning (I only did a cursory job when I brought it home) and more than the 20 rounds I've put through it will loosen it up some.
For all the compasses in all the world, there is but one direction and time is its only measure. -- Tom Stoppard

Carl_Spackler wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:Agreed. I figured at around $200 how good can the maverick be?
I used to own one and the answer is "not actually good at all". Developed rust spots at the drop of a hat, trigger was gritty and creepy and the action bars on the pump were so sloppy that the barrel was the only thing stopping it from spinning halfway around the magazine tube.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.

Mossberg 590A1

I was also curious, is it pointless to fit the 500 with a 2 or 3 point sling? Just wondering if its practical to use a sling. I was thinking it might be useful in the event an intruder tries to wrestle your shotgun away and use it on you. With a 3 point sling it seems like it will cling to your torso. Again, I'm not into the tacticool look....just want something that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone

Bucolic wrote:I would keep it simple. No sling. If there is an intruder,you may not want to mess with a sling. Put a light and a laser on it.

Won't the added accessories just bog the shotgun down with more weight? The Mossberg 500 is about 7lbs...how much additional weight will a light and laser add? I can see adding a light but a laser seems like too much

Sent from my iPhone