Something Weird

Cos that's how I like it baby!

16 bore centerfire on a Lefaucheux action. It's rough in all sorts of places, but it's so damn cool! More pics later, but I'm so excited I wanted to share now. ...and yes I am still using my Duluth shell bag as a purse, shut up.

Re: Something Weird

That sure is a classy double barrel weapon. I am assuming it is a shotgun, right?

If you ever get it out into the field you need to go in full french period dress with big feather plumes in your hat and puffy blouses with knickers. Springer spaniel nipping at your boots.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I'm thinking that even the light loaded 2" 16 gauge smokeless might stress it. Still have to do stuff like measure barrel wall thickness and other safety inspection crap. Might x-ray or magnaflux if I really want to be sure. The barrels are twist, so plenty of potential for weak spots.

drigeba wrote:That sure is a classy double barrel weapon. I am assuming it is a shotgun, right?

If you ever get it out into the field you need to go in full french period dress with big feather plumes in your hat and puffy blouses with knickers. Springer spaniel nipping at your boots.

"Knickers?" good Lord, man - "Britches" is the word you are so diligently searching for but failing to find. "Knickers" are what British girls wear next to their bottoms, and Americans used to wear to go cycling :P
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:
drigeba wrote:That sure is a classy double barrel weapon. I am assuming it is a shotgun, right?

"Knickers?" good Lord, man - "Britches" is the word you are so diligently searching for but failing to find. "Knickers" are what British girls wear next to their bottoms, and Americans used to wear to go cycling :P
Knickers and boots is an entirely different outfit.

Fukshot wrote:
SailDesign wrote:

Knickers and boots is an entirely different outfit.
There are a lot of looks you can make happen with that combo..depending on how one accessorizes :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Why is there the twist in the shotgun barrel?
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:<snip quote>

There are a lot of looks you can make happen with that combo..depending on how one accessorizes :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Why is there the twist in the shotgun barrel?

Yup - lotsa "looks" there. :)

Twist was a way of making barrels before boring tools were available. You twisted the metal around a former, usually at least 2 layers with opposite twists, and then pounded the crap out of it till it welded. Prettiest barrels I ever saw were on a pub wall in northeastern Arizona - made of a Damascus twist, and well-weathered.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Fukshot wrote:The scroll trigger guard does nothing. The strangeness on the bottom of the all steel forend is the opening lever.
And the bulb on the forearm/forend is just an old version of a Schnabel forearm, right?

Modern Schnabels are much more subtle, but it says here:

http://www.browning.com/library/tech-te ... asp?id=202

... that "the Schnabel began as a European design and was found on guns with shorter forearms overall." That fits.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

My understanding of the schnabel forend is as an ergo/hand stop thing on scheutzen rifles. The round protrusion at the front of the forend on this is the push tab on the opening lever. The whole thing swings sideways. I think the schnabel forend on rifles pre-dates the Lefaucheux action, but now I have to go look and make sure. You could be right.

Great find. There is nothing like a pretty double barrel to make the heart sing.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers