Three barrels, no waiting.

I don't know why I bother but every 6 months I 'll drop in to this small gun show at the rodeo. Today they had more plastic Chinese-made toys than shooting supplies.

I did see this:
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2629

A Chiappa triple barrel shotgun. I thought I was throwing a brain clot and couldn't focus. They come in 28" and 18.5"

Still the same hotdog & bun problem though. Shells come in boxes of 25, not 24 or 27.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Three barrels, no waiting.

If there were a barrel selector I'd be interested (though I'd have to wait for prices to fall quite a bit). Here we're limited to a three round capacity for hunting shotguns. It would be nice to be able to run one barrel open and the other two with chokes for progressively farther shots.

I feel it would combine the compact nature of a break-action with 33% more capacity.

On the other hand it probably weighs quite a bit more and so would be slower to point, which would be a detriment to bird or rabbit hunting.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

Merle wrote:I would expect it to be overly heavy - as well as poorly balanced. Kind of an odd way to carry three rounds; why not just use a pump or an auto? :smart:
With a multi-barrel gun the OAL of the firearm can be shorter since you don't have a receiver to take up space. Thus, the gun can be more compact and generally a bit quicker to point.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

brandonsmash wrote:
Merle wrote:I would expect it to be overly heavy - as well as poorly balanced. Kind of an odd way to carry three rounds; why not just use a pump or an auto? :smart:
With a multi-barrel gun the OAL of the firearm can be shorter since you don't have a receiver to take up space. Thus, the gun can be more compact and generally a bit quicker to point.

True enough, it is shorter for the same barrel length. But I still find a single (lighter) barrel tracks quicker, although it may overshoot the target on a fast swing. All in what you are used to, I suppose. ;)
Merle from PA

ZAZ wrote:I believe that is what they call an answer to a question nobody asked. However, if they could put that third barrel where it belongs (underneath) and chamber it in .308 or 45-70 I would be all over it. $1,600 drillings? Yes please.

How about a sempert and kriefhoff 2x12 gauge on top and a 8 x57 mauser on the bottom?
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.
Attachments
sk2x128x57mauser.jpg
sk2x128x57mauser.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 6640 times

fknauss wrote:The looks to be only one shotgun, and two of the rifle.

Which is even cooler.
Should have looked beforehand... thanks for the observation!

I also saw inserts which you can put into the shotgun barrel for rifle calibers for those guns. I suppose they are full length inserts!!

versatile!

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:
ZAZ wrote:I believe that is what they call an answer to a question nobody asked. However, if they could put that third barrel where it belongs (underneath) and chamber it in .308 or 45-70 I would be all over it. $1,600 drillings? Yes please.

How about a sempert and kriefhoff 2x12 gauge on top and a 8 x57 mauser on the bottom?
Sure I'll take one. Are you buying? :smart:
"Thought provoking quote."