Mossberg Barrels

I recently bought a beater M500A to keep in the truck. I've sort of been shopping around for a shorter barrel for it. I see that the 24" smooth bore "Slugster" barrels go for a bit cheaper than 18.5 inch barrels in the same used condition. In my minds eye, this seems like the perfect barrel. More handy than 28", swings better than 18.5" and some dinky little sights when I want to launch the occasional foster slug.

My only concern is that I will sorely miss the Modified choke that my 28" barrel has. I don't do much hunting, just lots of informal skeet, where cylinder bore works just fine, but I cant help but wonder....

Perhaps I should just find an 18.5 with removable chokes. I haven't seen one around lately but I seem to recall they exist.
"Thought provoking quote."

Re: Mossberg Barrels

I am planning on using my 835 turkey gun with the 20 inch barrel for geese this year. I even think I will keep the red dot that came with the gun on it. Never know it might be fun.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

I found that Mossberg makes a 20" vent rib with accu chokes. That would be pretty much perfect but that version seems super rare as I cant find any used ones and new ones are out of stock everywhere. But I guess just swapping out barrels as needed isn't that hard...... About the same difficulty as changing choke tubes with a cheap stamped wrench..... I guess I just have to decide what I value more, the handiness of the 18.5 or the slug sights on the 24.

It's actually more like changing a lightbulb. Just unscrew the barrel from the tube, pull it out, stick in the replacement and screw it down. I have never used a wrench on mine.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote:It's actually more like changing a lightbulb. Just unscrew the barrel from the tube, pull it out, stick in the replacement and screw it down. I have never used a wrench on mine.
Well I was referring to the choke tubes and how changing a barrel shouldn't take much longer than changing a choke tube. I surely hope you are using a wrench on your choke tubes though. It would get expensive launching an accu-choke down range every few shots. :roflmao:

I would caution against using a 18-20" barrel for hunting or clays. When the barrels get that short, they just don't swing very well. 24" is as short as I'd personally go for that purpose.

Not to mention if you get invited to go waterfowl hunting inside a blind box or pit, do not expect to be invited back. 28-30" is preferred

curtism1234 wrote:I would caution against using a 18-20" barrel for hunting or clays. When the barrels get that short, they just don't swing very well. 24" is as short as I'd personally go for that purpose.

Not to mention if you get invited to go waterfowl hunting inside a blind box or pit, do not expect to be invited back. 28-30" is preferred
We hunt cornfields so I will be 10-20 yards away around the spread. I always liked a shorter barrel for upland and the turkey barrel with a choke change is just an experiment. Maybe I'll like it maybe I wont. We'll see in a week or so.
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! The Dude.
Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap - Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

Well I placed a few bids on an 18.5" on Ebay. I figured I would get sniped but I actually won it. So I guess that pretty much decides what I'm going to do. I'll use this 18.5 cylinder bore for "fun" and put the 28" modified back on for "business".