Re: Home Defense Shotgun Dead

DamnYankee wrote:It occurs to me that a short barreled shotgun would be an ideal hd weapon. Find an older 870 Wingmaster in decent shape for $200-300. Replace springs and such for $25 if inclined. Tax stamp for $200. Cut the barrel off near the end of the magazine.Viola! Have a gunsmith put a high viz sight or a simple post sight and paint it with siteglow or similar product if you like. Lots of cheap aftermarket support for various sling mounts and rails for flashlights.

Drawbacks? Still have the potential short stroke possibility? Get some 12 ga snap caps and rack them 5 gagillion times in a row. Makes the action that much smoother and builds muscle memory.

I suppose the NFA related legal shenanigans would ensue were you to kill or injure an assailant, but perhaps that is a secondary concern?
Deer hunters use a slug barrel. Street legal short and has sights built in. Recognized as a sporting gun. A semi auto shotgun doesn't short stroke. Reliability is superb, and you can use slugs, buck, or heavy bird shot effectively at close range. The wood stock makes for smooth head strokes. Most shotguns wounds are messy. Lots of blood and chewed up tissue, hard to heal and leaves a descent blood trail.

In an emergency, you are not going to notice recoil and will probably empty the weapon faster than you planned. Police would probably react better to hearing that you used your deer gun to defend the house, rather than a semi auto pistol cartridge carbine that looks like a war weapon and has a 10 pound magazine.

An added advantage is that practice on sporting clays is lots of fun and has a moving target. I do like shotguns.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I'm a 70yo geezer living in a 4 plex with just wallboard walls.

My bedside home defense is the S&W Governor loaded with 6 .410 personal defense rounds, backed up by a Taurus Judge loaded with 5 .410 personal defense rounds, backed up by a Mossberg M590A1 loaded with 8 12 gauge personal defense rounds....

Would be defending myself from a fixed position behind my bed next to the land line phone and cell phone at night.

Shotgun pistols seem the perfect answer to apartment defense.
"Get off my lawn."

"A semi auto shotgun doesn't short stroke. Reliability is superb, and you can use slugs, buck, or heavy bird shot effectively at close range."

No argument from me. I have a Mossberg 930 that has been completely reliable with any decent quality shells. It has an 18 inch barrel, but there are places in my house, hallways etc, that are a challenge for even that length. Thus the thought of something cut off.

"My bedside home defense is the S&W Governor loaded with 6 .410 personal defense rounds, backed up by a Taurus Judge loaded with 5 .410 personal defense rounds, backed up by a Mossberg M590A1 loaded with 8 12 gauge personal defense rounds...."

I've been interested in the Judge concept since they first came out, but it seemed that many SMEs disliked the whole idea initially. I understand that birdshot is ineffective and slugs are inaccurate but 000 is supposed to work pretty well out of those short barrels in the typical distance (15 ft or less) encountered inside a house/appt. I see that the Governor is supposed to take .45 ACP. as well. Combining the two would be a good combination for HD as well.. First couple of cylinders loaded .410 000 and the rest with .45 hollow points.

drigeba wrote:The biggest issue with using a carbine or a pistol for that matter, is clear lines of fire if you live in the city like i do.

Just about in any direction you have walls that if penetrated by a round, someone is likely to be on the other side of it.

fwiw...
5.56 tends to do very poorly after encountering a barrier as deceleration tends to tear the previously-supersonic bullet apart. It might actually be the safest round you could fire in tight quarters, especially compared to big slow movers like the .45 or a shotgun's pellets. IIRC, that's one of the valid reasons SWAT teams have for swapping to M4s and the like rather than the previous MP5s or similar.