12g shopping

Mini-me has his own place and I want to get him a short 12g for interior use. He's at that awkward age, over 18 but not 21 so no handguns on his own. He is in a house with 2 roommates so I'd vote against a rifle.

I have a Winchester defender, no longer made, but I still see them for $200-250. Speed pump and holds 7. Really nice and tight gun.

I see some Mossberg made Maverick special purpose pumps ($189). I know Mossberg has been around a while but are these budget guns worth the price?
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossber ... rg&Ntk=All

Then we have a slew of imports, IAC, Norinco, etc
http://www.iacshotguns.com/

Anything that I should just mark off the list due to piss poor manufacture?

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: 12g shopping

He has a Mossberg 835 he uses for dove hunting and I thought about a 18" barrel to swap out but they cost as much as a low end gun.

He did not inherit my mechanical skills so I need to avoid anything that relies on his handiwork.

I think I've seen the Rem 870 in the used racks at the police supply for under $200.

I've had a Maverick and it worked great. Gave it to my Dad when I moved over here.

Another great, underrated option is the Rock Island M5 - I have one as my bedside gun and it's awesome. Smoother action than anything else I've shot. The receiver is steel so it's heavier but that helps with recoil. You should be able to get one for right about 200 as well.

Only downside is less aftermarket parts but I just mounted a light with a clamp around the mag tube.

I'm a fan of the the Ithaca 37 and the Win Model 12. My DS Police Special holds 7+1. Actions are short and slick. Also a John Moses Browning design. They look cool. Oh, and they also lack a trigger disconnect if made prior to about 1977.
The 870 I looked at seemed like a good solid gun; a little clunkier action than the Ithaca but it had other redeeming elements.
Mossbergs? eh.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Look for a used Ithaca with no disconnector (made before ~1970). They're well made, stupid cheap ($150 for the last on I bought) & you can hold down the trigger and fire as fast as you can pump it. Cut the barrel to legal minimum and have at it.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

If you can find an Ithaca for cheap, it's a great choice. I've had a few pump guns and I like the Ithaca 37 best. I'd consider 20g too, if I bumped in to one. I have one with a disconnector and it's just fine.

That said, there are lots of good cheap 12g guns out there and I don't know anything in particular to warn against. All of the tech in anything cheap (except for some old used autos) is well-established and pretty much indestructable.

Agreed on the Mossberg. I would not shy away from one in .410. Handguns like the Judge and the Governor have motivated the manufacture of several interesting self defense loads. Comparable velocity to 12 gauge with about 40% of the shot. So the energy of the individual shot is comparable but the recoil momentum is down by a factor of more than two. Much more manageable and commensurately quieter.

Stevens 69 R-H.jpg
All the models everyone mentioned are easy enough to find. The next factor is price. I stopped at the police supply and they had about 5 of these Stevens 12g. Olive drab matte. A few also had the wood painted to match. The butts were stamped STATE OF ARIZONA and looked pretty good. $169 and tax, $182.94 to go. Two had yellow tape bands around the barrel. The reflective tape you see on the sides of trucks and trailers. I don't know what that's about.

I need to double check with Mini-me that he wants one before I buy anything.

Why you guys gotta be all talking about which gun to buy? Don't you know that encourages reckless behavior? :lol:
Last night I went and bought a Win Model 12. Should be on the UPS Mule Train by tomorrow.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

If you don't buy him a VEPR 12ga, he will resent you for evar! Only dads who don't love their kids buy them pump guns. :sarcasm:
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

tincankilla wrote:i like the mossberg just because there's no gate to pinch my fingers during loading. and it's stupid simple.

i'll be the first to advise you to also talk to him about the felonious potential of stupid roommates at that age.
This is a topic. All his guns are still locked with me.

His roommates are hunting pals. Their pals? I don't know about them. Besides the gun I need to also provide some lock system. I wouldn't just hand it off.

Simmer down wrote:
tincankilla wrote:i like the mossberg just because there's no gate to pinch my fingers during loading. and it's stupid simple.

i'll be the first to advise you to also talk to him about the felonious potential of stupid roommates at that age.
This is a topic. All his guns are still locked with me.

His roommates are hunting pals. Their pals? I don't know about them. Besides the gun I need to also provide some lock system. I wouldn't just hand it off.
These always seemed like a good idea with roommates. Inside a closet or something so they never even need to know it's there.
http://www.amazon.com/Homak-WS00018002- ... B0017KL254
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Simmer down wrote:That's exactly what I imagined. I thought of maybe an electrical box but that will do. :thumbup:
It'd be easy enough to give it the Krylon touch and make it Graybar Gray. I'll bet you could also find an old AC intake grill to put over it, with a piano hinge or something.

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

I went with the Rock Island M5. Found a pawn shop deal I couldn't pass up.
http://us.armscor.com/products/m5-parkerized-shotgun

Plain Jane. 7.5 # unloaded package should tone down recoil. It has a 20" barrel and an overall length of 40" so some whittling could be done on this if one had a dremel handy. If I was keeping it I'd add some sort of recoil pad to it.

Now to focus on the wall safe.

Simmer down wrote:I went with the Rock Island M5. Found a pawn shop deal I couldn't pass up.

Plain Jane. 7.5 # unloaded package should tone down recoil. It has a 20" barrel and an overall length of 40" so some whittling could be done on this if one had a dremel handy. If I was keeping it I'd add some sort of recoil pad to it.

Great choice! If you haven't already, point it upwards and press the bolt release while the hammer is cocked. Gravity will slide it right open, it's that smooth.

TheViking wrote:
Simmer down wrote:I went with the Rock Island M5. Found a pawn shop deal I couldn't pass up.

Great choice! If you haven't already, point it upwards and press the bolt release while the hammer is cocked. Gravity will slide it right open, it's that smooth.
Yes, it is smooth. He blew through here and picked up it, with a trigger lock, and was thrilled. I hope it never gets shot indoors.