Re: Opinions on O/U Shotguns

TheViking wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:True they can be slow. And I forget that my Ithaca is pre-disconnector :whistle: which speeds things up a wee little bit.
Would be a challenge in itself to hit the second clay while pumping
Meh, just a minor detail :laugh:

I do like my SxS better for that I'll happily agree.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

The rebate should work for any purchase of a new gun from any dealer and is paid using a $100 debit card you receive directly from Beretta once you send them the form and proof of purchase. When I purchased my 686 from a dealer in upstate New York (I live in Colorado), I had no trouble using the receipt to get my free swag.

Best prices I've found on Gunbroker for a wood-stock model is $649 + shipping + transfer on your end. For the synthetic stock, $589 + shipping + transfer. Shipping is $30-$35. Those are cash prices, credit cards will cost an extra 2-3%.

dcramer64 wrote:The rebate should work for any purchase of a new gun from any dealer and is paid using a $100 debit card you receive directly from Beretta once you send them the form and proof of purchase. When I purchased my 686 from a dealer in upstate New York (I live in Colorado), I had no trouble using the receipt to get my free swag.

Best prices I've found on Gunbroker for a wood-stock model is $649 + shipping + transfer on your end. For the synthetic stock, $589 + shipping + transfer. Shipping is $30-$35. Those are cash prices, credit cards will cost an extra 2-3%.
I can get a synthetic from Firearms for Sale for $612 and I have a coupon for free shipping. Since my FFL doesn't charge sales tax for out of state purchases, I just have to pay the $85 FFL fee. That's under $700 out the door, with a rebate of $100 coming my way. :think:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I went to two dicks and one independent LGS and tried several shotguns under $1100. The only A300 they had was the wood one and the stock felt short, but it shouldered well. I shouldered two guns where I couldn't even get my head low enough to catch the bead.

I really wish they had a synthetic A300, because I think the only thing the gun needs to feel "right" is some LOP. Oh, I also wish it had a second bead.

I also liked the way the 11-87 felt. It shouldered well, felt good and loved the second bead. I worried a little with Remi build quality.

Going to go look again tomorrow at my local Dick's. Hopefully they have a synthetic I can look at.

I can get a second bead added if I want and I really haven't heard a negative thing about the a300, even from Interwebz shotgun snobs.

I did learn one thing today...I won't be needing a cheek riser if my lop is dialed-in. ;)

senorgrand wrote:Going to go look again tomorrow at my local Dick's. Hopefully they have a synthetic I can look at.

I can get a second bead added if I want and I really haven't heard a negative thing about the a300, even from Interwebz shotgun snobs.

I did learn one thing today...I won't be needing a cheek riser if my lop is dialed-in. ;)
Hopefully, they have one for you to look at. I'm not sure how comparable the fit is between the synthetic and wood-stocked models...I would think it would be pretty similar, but best to check it out for sure. I doubt you'll find anything bad about the A300...it's a proven action design that's been around for some time.

LOP-wise, how much are you talking in terms of being short? A thicker aftermarket recoil pad may do the trick if you end up going with the wood.

senorgrand wrote:Went to my third Dicks...and they had only the wood stock. If it wasn't for the lop issue, I'd buy the wood stock, but I think the synthetic will fit better.
You already know the synthetic gives you LOP options with the spacers. According to Beretta you can adjust LOP with them from 13" - 14.5". And, it includes tapered shims that you can use to adjust the drop at comb/butt. I think you'll be just fine with the synthetic.

Go for it!!!

dcramer64 wrote:CZ shotguns are made by Huglu in Turkey. If you check it out, like the fit and finish, and like how it fits you, I think a Redhead would be just fine for your purposes. I've been looking at a Wingshooter in 20 gauge for sub-bore sporting clays and have no reservations about it.

Did you ever pick up the Wingshooter?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou