Re: Vietnam War Ithaca Model 37

Simmer down wrote:The story sure raises the price of the gun. I wonder if they'd sell just the gun.
Yeah, but it is an Ithaca. They were the last old shotgun I could afford to collect. I guess not anymore.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

scubachris wrote:
Simmer down wrote:The story sure raises the price of the gun. I wonder if they'd sell just the gun.
Yeah, but it is an Ithaca. They were the last old shotgun I could afford to collect. I guess not anymore.
Model 12s can be had for good prices from time to time.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:
scubachris wrote:

I want one so bad but they aren't to common down here.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

I. He thinks the "blood stain" makes it more valuable.
II. It has a few special stamps; other than that, there's nothing special about this one over the standard police 5+1 models that are all over the place for one fifth the price in similar or same condition....oh, without the blood.
III. It's not even the trench version with the heat shroud. THAT would be worth more than this one, by a good margin, too, but still less than his price.

Summary: long on story, short on substance. Worst part is, someone out there might just fall for it.

EDIT: 1 minute on Gunbroker yielded this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =495396589
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:I. He thinks the "blood stain" makes it more valuable.
II. It has a few special stamps; other than that, there's nothing special about this one over the standard police 5+1 models that are all over the place for one fifth the price in similar or same condition....oh, without the blood.
III. It's not even the trench version with the heat shroud. THAT would be worth more than this one, by a good margin, too, but still less than his price.

Summary: long on story, short on substance. Worst part is, someone out there might just fall for it.

EDIT: 1 minute on Gunbroker yielded this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =495396589
...But....but the blood...the hyperbole!

Having bubba conjure up some sort of story without even a shred of provenance then asking for a shit-ton of money makes browsing gunbroker that much tougher. I wish there was a "Flag Item for Crazy Talk" option.
LGC Texas - Vice President

scubachris wrote:
senorgrand wrote:
scubachris wrote:

I want one so bad but they aren't to common down here.
Get a C&R and buy one off of gunbroker!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

beaurrr wrote:I. He thinks the "blood stain" makes it more valuable.

My sergeant would chewed my behind if I turned in a gun that wasn't clean and I would have done the same when I was a sergeant.

I saw that one and I wish I can get it. Makes me wonder what happened to all Ithaca 37 DS that the cops had. Do police departments destroy them or sell them?
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers

I saw that one and I wish I can get it. Makes me wonder what happened to all Ithaca 37 DS that the cops had. Do police departments destroy them or sell them?
Some may. I got 7+1 DS Police Special from a guy who got it from the Arkansas State Police.

The 5+1 and the 7+1 models show up regularly on Gunbroker. Many of them are in quite good condition. Mine spent more time riding around in police car than anything.

LA Sheriffs department had a shit ton of them and I have seen then on Gunbroker as well.

8 rounds of the shot of your choosing will destroy nearly anything. :thumbup:
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:
Some may. I got 7+1 DS Police Special from a guy who got it from the Arkansas State Police.

The 5+1 and the 7+1 models show up regularly on Gunbroker. Many of them are in quite good condition. Mine spent more time riding around in police car than anything.

LA Sheriffs department had a shit ton of them and I have seen then on Gunbroker as well.

8 rounds of the shot of your choosing will destroy nearly anything. :thumbup:
When volunteered to be on the local sheriff's dive team (so so long ago) we just received a batch of them from Louisiana State Police. They upgraded to Remington 870s. This was the early 90's. They sat in the cruisers and never came out until qualification.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers

Interesting porting. Looks like he's modded, and maybe in good ways...if you're ok with that. Hard to tell with the pictures. Cylinder bore is ok with you?
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:Interesting porting. Looks like he's modded, and maybe in good ways...if you're ok with that. Hard to tell with the pictures. Cylinder bore is ok with you?

I was being a smarta$$. I don't know if I am comfortable buying a gun that is modded out.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers

scubachris wrote:
I was being a smarta$$. I don't know if I am comfortable buying a gun that is modded out.
Phew...I was trying to be positive. :)
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:
scubachris wrote:
Phew...I was trying to be positive. :)
Haha, yeah but no. I'm not a tacticool kind of guy
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers

wlewisiii wrote:I think I prefer my sweet 16 model 37 that I picked up at Grandpa's Gun Store (of blessed memory, alas) in Madison for $125. Good fun.

I wish I could find deals like that but they don't exist in Louisiana
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers

beaurrr wrote:
scubachris wrote:What about this? The price seems high especially once I pay $70 for FFL. $45 on one end and $25 on mine

http://www.armslist.com/posts/4492765/s ... full-choke
Eh. Has some kind of modification on the butt. That's a $250 shotgun, max.

Yeah, my grandpa's stock was different. Thanks for the response. I tried looking up values in Hun Trader's guide but I didn't have enough info. It was made in the 50's according to the serial number
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers