Shotgun Advice

Hello, I just thought I'd pop in and see if anyone wanted to throw their 2 cents in :)

I want to get my own shotgun for skeet because my boyfriend's is just too big for me. I'm 5'4" (and I may be slightly exaggerating the 4", but that's what my driver's license says ;). ) I was thinking maybe a 12 gauge over under, but I don't have much experience with shotguns, and want quality without breaking the bank.

I'm also left handed and right eye dominant, so I've taken to shooting long guns right handed because it's a lot easier than trying to crane my neck and body to get a good line of sight (and I'm not a fan of shells flying past my face), but I'm not sure if I would adapt this when using a bead rather than a scope, so I thought maybe someone might have some thoughts on that. I suppose it would be best to just be consistent and stick with my right since I'm fairly ambidextrous anyway, but left hand & right eye works just fine for me with handguns.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my queries!
(and sorry if this didn't make it into the shotgun thread, I'm still getting the hang of this place)

Re: Shotgun Advice

Ithaca 37 are great for lefties due to bottom eject. OUs are expensive. How much are you willing to spend?
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

You could get a used Remington 870 for short money if you don't mind a pump. It would require more practice for skeet doubles, but pumps used to be employed quite often for skeet before OUs started getting more popular. If you got into something fun later, such as 3-gun, or you took a defensive shotgun class, you would still have the right tool for the job.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

SAIGA 12 IS BEST SHOTGUN

Um, I mean, yeah, the model 37 is nice for lefties and cross-dominant folks because of the bottom eject. The wife used to have a repro of the Ithaca 37 that I think was done by Norinco, pretty damn good for $150.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.

I never understood why O/U shotguns were more expensive than side to side double barrels. There's a store here with a large rack of used S/S double barrels. But I'd look for the bottom eject they're talking about.

Make sure you can replace the stock easily with a different length if you need to shorten the length of pull.
Brian

Thanks so much for the help! When I go for it I'll be sure to post what I wind up getting. I'll probably take my sweet time doing it though, since I won't be going to the outdoor section of the range until the spring anyway. I'll keep checking in.

inomaha wrote:I never understood why O/U shotguns were more expensive than side to side double barrels.
Two barrels that have to be regulated. They aren't simply parallel as are most side by sides are.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I'll second the motion for a 20ga youth model, especially since you're intending to shoot clays. I also think you should continue to shoot right handed. While the one linked below isn't an over/under, this puts your dominant (stong) hand on the pump. In my experience shooting clays (and foul) is more about speed and lead than visual accuracy so shooting with your non-dominate eye shouldn't be an issue. If it is, rock an eye patch like a a shotgun range pirate! And last, at your stature I think you'll enjoy shooting 20ga WAY more than 12. It will probably make the difference between shooting three volleys and being ready to call it a day, or shooting until you're out of ammo. Of my paltry personal shotgun collection I enjoy my 410 for pheasant and duck, and pretty much only use my 12ga for geese.
http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-510-Min ... /10218684/

"Never trust a big butt & a smile." -A.I.M. Scientist Supreme

I'll throw in....

Try looking at the standard Mossberg 500C youth version (standard 6-round capacity magazine tube) the safety is top mounted and if you go with the right handed version you'll actually have a bit of a leg up on a right hander using the same gun (Easier to visually check without much fuss) and it would give you an easier time if you had to single load the shells by hand (never know what might happen in life). The 6-shot model will also let you have a better selection of barrel types for different jobs.

You can switch from busing clays, to using a rifled barrel and sabot slugs for deer or other game, and be able to fit it with an 18.5-inch security barrel for camp or home defense jobs.