Saiga 12 project: Nemesis Mk 5

Hey there folks. As some of you may know, my Saiga 12 shotgun was stuck in the pawnshop since almost 2 years ago, thanks to roommates not having their half of the rent and us not wanting to be homeless for the second time in a year. Well, she just came home on Friday thanks to my wife, so I'm gearing up to work on it again and I've decided to document all the work here. Mainly what I want to do is improve the ergonomics, reduce the weight, possibly add iron sights because it doesn't frickin' have any, and fix this weird last-round stovepipe jam problem. So, here's some specs:

Current parts installed -
Custom-machined muzzle brake (similar to the Russian DTK-01-MIL, but scaled up to 12-gauge)
TAC 47 Auto-regulating gas plug
Modified factory handguard with Magpul Gen 1 AFG
Tromix Fire Control Group (trigger, hammer, disconnector)
Modified factory safety lever (milled slot to hold bolt handle back when safety lever is engaged)
Carolina Shooters Supply bolt-on trigger guard
MD Arms Molot-style pistol grip
Mississippi Auto Arms aluminum skeleton stock
Internal stock adapter block
Folding stock mechanism

Parts planned for the near future -
Magpul MOE AK grip
Magpul Zhukov stock and forend

Parts that are gonna have to wait for a bit -
Rifled barrel
New version of current brake with thicker walls

First up for today, I'll be replacing the MD Arms Molot-style pistol grip with a Magpul MOE AK grip. The MD Arms grip is definitely a good grip, but I just don't like the feel of it and I think it's meant for people with way bigger hands than mine. The Magpul grip fits my hand a lot better, has a much more positive texture on it, and I got mine with a grip core that will hold an additional CR123 lithium rechargeable battery for my Kobra red dot sight. So let's get started. This is what it looks like right now:

I've pulled the MD Arms grip off, and here you can see the grip nut, which is part of the trigger guard on this particular model. You can also see the slot where the original trigger used to be.

So, all that's left is to bolt the new grip in place. The Magpul MOE AK grip comes with a grip screw, but it's too long to hold the grip flush against the receiver. I tried carving it down a bit with the dremel, but I couldn't get it shaved down enough without worrying about ruining it. I tried to get a shorter replacement at Home Depot, but the screw they assured me would work doesn't thread. Fortunately my wife saved the day, as her beading kit contained a metric fuckton of stainless steel washers. Only needed one to pull the grip snug with the receiver.

That's going to do it for now; I'm going to see if I can get some range time sometime soon so I can start tracking down the source of this stovepipe jam.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.