Shotgun for HD and Trap: 870 or 1100

Looking for a 12g that can be used for trap or home defense with a change of the barrel and screwing-on of a mag extension.

I am leaning towards an 1100 or 870 with a 28" ribbed barrel for trap and maybe an 18" sighted barrel for HD.

I'd like a model with nice walnut furniture, but probably NOT a raised comb (my noggin is plenty big). Whatever I get will probably need a 1 inch stock extension to fit properly.

Of the two, I am leaning towards the 870. Less maintenance and more reliability.

Thoughts?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Shotgun for HD and Trap: 870 or 1100

I agree a 870 Wingmaster would work just fine, probably better than the 1100 because of the maintenance and reliability. It's negative is it's perception, if you care what other people think about you. It's rare to see a pump shotgun at a club.

The trap model with the high comb should shoot high, which is preferred for trap. The regular model should shoot dead on.

But there's nothing wrong with an 1100

Dunno, I've seen a fair number of pumps at the trap field- especially on the singles field. Tough on skeet, five stand or doubles though. And increased maintenance yes, but tear it down after every trip? Probably not so much. If you wind up liking trap, you'll want the semi anyway. Also has the advantage of a bit less recoil.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I dove hunted many a season with a 870, and broke skeet when they weren't flying - that's kinda like trap :lol: - and it worked just fine. Here's the thing, by the time you buy all the stuff to convert back and forth, and get it to work decently for each chore, you might be surprised how close you are to the price of owning 2 shotties, one for each role. I ended up committing the 870 to HD, and got a used turkish O/U for clays that has served me well in that role. You'll eventually want a light on your HD, and a sling, and better safety, and a saddle for slugs, and a compass in the stock...
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

shinzen wrote:Dunno, I've seen a fair number of pumps at the trap field- especially on the singles field. Tough on skeet, five stand or doubles though. And increased maintenance yes, but tear it down after every trip? Probably not so much. If you wind up liking trap, you'll want the semi anyway. Also has the advantage of a bit less recoil.
At the annual meeting shotgun event 4 of the 6 of us rented shotguns from the range for trap. I think they were all 870's. They worked pretty well for some of us.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

I've had my current Remington 870 Express for about two years. Bought on special from Dick's Sporting Goods for $300 OTD and put a $15 Hi-Viz fiber optic on it. Round count right now is the probably 1200-1500. I haven't done anything other than swab the bore.

Having shot both the 26" and 28" versions, I favor the 26" version as the target acquisition and overall feel is better. YMMV.
LGC Texas - Vice President

I'd get a Wingmaster over the express for high volume shooting. There are some cheap stamped parts in the express that can be prone to bending. I've sent mine back a couple times.

You can find used Wingmasters from the 70's and early 80's for $300 otd. No one wants a 2 3/4" gun but it would be exactly what you're looking for. Of course the new ones have the rem choke though, but are over $600.