Higgins/Sears model 583.23 bolt action 12 ga --advice please

I was poking around a local pawn shop, asking about really cheap single shot shotguns. I noticed the clerks started crunching number and said they could let me have this for $60. A J C Higgins/Sears model 583.23 bolt action 12 ga. with an adjustable choke. The previous owner had covered in in some cheap ass camouflage cloth wrap that was at the verge of dry rot. Then they stood it up in a corner and left it for 20 - 30 years. I checked the bolt and everything seemed to work alright. I looked at the loading ramp and played with the adjustable choke. So far it looks like a good cleaning and some lubrication would make this a usable low-cost shotgun.

Then I asked if he had a bore scope. He said no, but offered his flashlight. So I took a look......... OMG the inside of the barrel was lined with something that looked like a cross between fur and felt. It was a layer of dust. Decades of dust. And halfway down the barrel---a spider web nest of some kind.

So I am going to go back and look at it again to see if it is salvageable, or whether I should run like hell away from it.

Since I am not really familiar with shotgun, specially bolt action, does anyone have advice on what to watch out for????
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: Higgins/Sears model 583.23 bolt action 12 ga --advice pl

The usual bolt action things..make sure the safety works, the magazine feeds properly (clean and lube that too), it doesn't fire when closing the bolt, the extractor and ejector work, yadda yadda. It's center fire, so dry firing should be a non-issue.

Some of these things require a sand barrel to check properly...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I went back to the store with my cleaning kit. Ran a brass brush through it a couple of times. The bore is fine. I checked for fine cracks around the bolt housing-none. I got them to let me remove that camo cloth. The outside of the barrel and receiver had some minor rust pitting. It does not have a serial number on it.

Soooo....... I bought it!!!

Steve's pages does not have a owner manual for it. There's not much on youtube. Looks like I might be on my own for this one.

Thanks again for the advice. I am still open to further advice.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Pretty much what I did Lurker. Curiosity, maybe some adventure, with a little stupidity for good measure. Problem is that I don't have a lot of room to work on this thing. I am more used to playing around with pistols. Still, it is an adventure.

Hiker wrote:Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I went back to the store with my cleaning kit. Ran a brass brush through it a couple of times. The bore is fine. I checked for fine cracks around the bolt housing-none. I got them to let me remove that camo cloth. The outside of the barrel and receiver had some minor rust pitting. It does not have a serial number on it.

Soooo....... I bought it!!!

Steve's pages does not have a owner manual for it. There's not much on youtube. Looks like I might be on my own for this one.

Thanks again for the advice. I am still open to further advice.
I have seen many at my local pawn too and considered one. Then I read they have a bolt latch problem, and up until a certain year if your unlucky, the bolt can fly out when fired. Which can be painful, even deadly. The exact cut off serial number for defective to safe is not sure, but its very high numbers.

http://www.guns.com/2012/06/20/jc-higgins-model-10/

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
Last edited by dandad on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

My a5 has a herters Vari Choke. While Id prefer not having it, it works ok-ish, and a replacement barrel is not in my financial near , or far future as Id want a steel quality japanese browning barrel. But so does every other owner of belgium a5 s

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more