Short barrelled autoloader for home defense?

Been looking at the Mossberg 930, had a Mossberg auto before and really liked it, but traded it off for a Winchester Defender 20ga when my wife wanted to try a shotgun. Still didn't work for her as she is very tiny.

So, I'm looking to add a short auto to the mix, thought I'd see what folks here had to say before I started hitting the shops.

Re: Short barrelled autoloader for home defense?

I had some reliability issues with Elmo's Mossberg 930, which is what pushed me to go with the Stoeger instead. Mostly some feeding issues- but I've had my Stoeger M3000 for several months now and haven't experienced any of the same issues. Both are available in a shorter HD configuration.

The other advantage that won me over to the Stoeger is that it's inertia driven operation rather than gas driven- one less thing to worry about from a cleaning and reliability perspective. Should be in the same ballpark price range, extension tubes are available for both.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Stoeger is owned by Benelli- who is a very respected manufacturer in the shotgun world. They use the same inertia driven design that has been vetted for years by Benelli. Stoeger and the Mossberg are both considered to be entry level 3-Gun shotguns, which is where my exposure to them both came from.

Spara runs the Stoeger for competition and loves it, Elmo runs the Mossberg and has had some issues- his is one of the earlier ones, they may have gotten better since then, I have no experience with them other than Elmo's which I had the chance to shoot. But that's what pushed me to the Stoeger instead.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Queen wrote:
TinkerPearce wrote:We're keeping an eye out for a 20-gauge auto for my wife, so this is a useful thread. Thanks all!
If she's small, glad you're going auto. My wife is only 5'1" and she doesn't have long enough arms to properly and comfortably operate one.
Make sure that the shotgun is fitted for her. Since she's small, check the length of pull (LOP) so she can properly mount it. You can either cut down the stock ore replace it with a youth stock to adjust the LOP. If it the shotgun is fitted correctly she'll be able to mount and shoot properly, lessing the likelihood of bruising. Lena Miculek is pretty small and like many lady 3 gunners, she handles 12-gauges just fine because they're fit properly. See how easily she's able to mount it and put in her shoulder pocket? You want to be able to do that with your shotgun.