I'm tipping my hat....need shotgun

I'm in the same boat as Marlene with her Glock purchase given the election results. I never thought I'd be in these shoes but I'm buying a shotgun. I don't particularly enjoy them but I think it's the tool I may need. I'm zeroing in on autos over pumps.

That said, I have a really kickass gun shop nearby that has a Remington Sportsman 12 Auto set up with a 20 inch barrel and a mag tube extension. From what I can tell it's a plainer version of the 1100 (my friend who works there said he'd throw on a fiber optic front sight for me to replace the bead). Used for 495 bucks.

In the other corner at a different shop is a Mossberg 930JM.....also outfitted with a 20-inch barrel and mag extension (I think it holds a few more than the Remington). New for 679 bucks.

I have no aspirations to compete in 3-gun beyond training. Which one of these guns should it be? I had an 1100 years ago and it worked just fine (and I, KlownKannon, actually HIT CLAYS with it!). Given that the Remington is 80s vintage, should I think twice about it over a newer gun or should I consider it because it's broken in?
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Re: I'm tipping my hat....need shotgun

KlownKannon wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Why no love for pumps?
Training curve.
The training curve is with the semiautos imo. A pump shotgun will cycle all shells in all sorts of conditions. Take a semi-auto out when it's snowing and 0 degrees out --- the better guns will cycle shells but the cheaper guns or oiled guns stand a good chance jamming. Take a very light load, many semi autos won't be able to feed right - at least not without an internal adjustment.

While the guy with the semi has to figure out why the gun keeps jamming, the guy with the pump gun can fire away problem free.

curtism1234 wrote:
KlownKannon wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Why no love for pumps?
Training curve.
The training curve is with the semiautos imo. A pump shotgun will cycle all shells in all sorts of conditions. Take a semi-auto out when it's snowing and 0 degrees out --- the better guns will cycle shells but the cheaper guns or oiled guns stand a good chance jamming. Take a very light load, many semi autos won't be able to feed right - at least not without an internal adjustment.

While the guy with the semi has to figure out why the gun keeps jamming, the guy with the pump gun can fire away problem free.
Training is still needed for a pump. If you short stroke it in a panic situation, it can also jam and if you're in an awkward position on the ground with it on its right side, the shell can fall out. An auto will usually cycle fast enough to avoid that.

I'm not familiar with that Remington model, but it sounds like a good buy.

The JM Pro, if new, would have a 22" or 24" barrel.

I've had a JM Pro for about a year, and I can't really recommend it. While some have good results with it, I've had persistent shell feeding issues, and these same issues seem to be pretty common. Not reliable enough for 3-gun or for defensive use, IMO.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

A couple of forum users who shoot 3-gun are fans of the Stoeger M3000.

It's about the same price point as the 930, and from what I can tell, with a few minor mods it runs very reliably. You can find the posts about it in the shotgun forum.

If you are not in a hurry, you might also get lucky and score a nicer used shotgun. I would read up on the Rem Model 12 to make sure it doesn't have reliability issues; A big factor if self defense is the primary use.

:beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.