Pump action and shells getting stuck

So i got my 3 round extension on my 870 express and i decided to check function with some spent shells to make sure it could cycle (kept the gun pointed in a safe direction the whole time, my clear bucket.) and i noticed the herters shells would get stuck EVERY time. they're simple target loads. spent buckshot shells would on occasion. Now rewind back to the firing range and i did have two cases where the herters shells would get stuck hard enough to require a ram rod to eject (pump action entirely froze up.) now fast forward back to now, and i can verify it isn't the shotgun it's the ammo, apprently the herters ammo expands in the chamber to the point that it's not going to be reliable. i verified this by chambering one of the spent shells and then taking the barrel off. you can't dislodge it from the back with plyers or anything, the weird part is a ram rod will dislodge them quite handily.

anyone have a clue as to what could be going on more specifically anything i can do to resolve the issue? herters is cheap stuff for range day fun.
In Solidarity.

Re: Pump action and shells getting stuck

You'll probably want to pick up some actual snap caps rather than trying to use spent shotgun shells. The spent shells will have expanded after being fired in the chamber, so will be a tight fit at best. Typically before re-insertion you would run them through a sizing collet on a reloading press. If you haven't done that, then I would expect that you'll have challenges like you are describing.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:You'll probably want to pick up some actual snap caps rather than trying to use spent shotgun shells. The spent shells will have expanded after being fired in the chamber, so will be a tight fit at best. Typically before re-insertion you would run them through a sizing collet on a reloading press. If you haven't done that, then I would expect that you'll have challenges like you are describing.
I am thinking this one too. Spent shells have been enlarged. Not just the plastic but the brass can as well, especially highwall brass can buldge a bit.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
shinzen wrote:You'll probably want to pick up some actual snap caps rather than trying to use spent shotgun shells. The spent shells will have expanded after being fired in the chamber, so will be a tight fit at best. Typically before re-insertion you would run them through a sizing collet on a reloading press. If you haven't done that, then I would expect that you'll have challenges like you are describing.
I am thinking this one too. Spent shells have been enlarged. Not just the plastic but the brass can as well, especially highwall brass can buldge a bit.
Would this not make them all hard to extract in the first place?
In Solidarity.

wanzer777 wrote:
dandad wrote:
Would this not make them all hard to extract in the first place?
Maybe its because they are still hot and in a semi plastic (moldable) shape? and its extracted with the force of the gas. If youve had a shell fail to eject after shooting you will see it can be a real pain to remove. Ive had to use pocket knife , acrew driver and even cleaning rod to get shell out if the ejector failed . it taint easy.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Yeah it happened once or twice at the range, but or of like 50 rounds of target, 15 slugs, and 25 buck. But the spent herters will do it every time. Which I find odd. But so long as it's just the spent ones jamming that often I'll be fine. I'm worried putting the 3 shell extension did something out maybe the bore snake... IDK
In Solidarity.

Seconding the suggestion of snap caps. Also, invest the money and get the good metal ones. I made the mistake of getting the plastic cased ones and my Saiga 12 ate them.
My official title is Doctor Mister Hunter Of Skullyness. Don't ask me, ask Fukshot.

The moral certainty of the crusader is as much a comfort to them as it is a burden to those in the path of their crusade.

Most shotshells these days have steel bases. Often brass plated. Real Brass bases expand when fired but tend to "rebound" a little. Less so with brass-plated steel. I would suspect the empty shells you are cycling jamb because their radial orientation is different than when they are freshly fired and extracted. Another vote for snap caps. Also, I've had some 870s that run flawlessly with one brand of ammo and have problems with others. Maybe try some different cheap ammo for blasting at the range. Forgot to mention: see if you can see a little mark on your fired shells where the extractor cut is in the barrel. If so, it would tend to confirm my suspicions.

Wonder if polishing the chamber might help? I myself have always used SemiChrome or Blue Magic, and a 12 gauge swab on a drill. I even polish the cylinders mirror finish.

But maybe a super smooth camber would help prevent sticking some ? Just a brain fart.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Wrboz wrote:Most shotshells these days have steel bases. Often brass plated. Real Brass bases expand when fired but tend to "rebound" a little. Less so with brass-plated steel. I would suspect the empty shells you are cycling jamb because their radial orientation is different than when they are freshly fired and extracted. Another vote for snap caps. Also, I've had some 870s that run flawlessly with one brand of ammo and have problems with others. Maybe try some different cheap ammo for blasting at the range. Forgot to mention: see if you can see a little mark on your fired shells where the extractor cut is in the barrel. If so, it would tend to confirm my suspicions.
Thank you! Took a closer look and they are in fact oval shaped ever so slightly. I dunt reload and I'm getting snap caps anyway so it won't be a problem. Thanks again.
In Solidarity.

Having an 870, it's my opinion it has to do with the dimensions of the rim of the brass. Winchester turkey loads and cheap federal target loads are a big culprit for me.

When you get a shell stuck, I would not start forcing the pump down with all your might. The little piece that you push to unlock the action sits against a rail on the inside of the receiver and it can get bent if you do that - that's a trip to Remington. With the action open, press on the external release and look inside to see it moving. It should be flush; if it's sticking out a little that's not good...