Re: Affordable Semi-auto shotguns

shinzen wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:03 pm FWIW, I used a JM 930 for my first action shotgun class- it had some feeding issues, between and Spara's advice is why I picked up the Stoeger, which was less money but has proven to be completely reliable.
Yeah, the JM930 is the benchmark mostly for price. I've actually shot Spara's Stoeger and I'm still pretty much in the Stoeger camp unless I stumble upon something used and Italian/Belgian. An LGS had a FN and a Beretta on the shelf last time I was there, but both were well over my price point.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 am
shinzen wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:03 pm FWIW, I used a JM 930 for my first action shotgun class- it had some feeding issues, between and Spara's advice is why I picked up the Stoeger, which was less money but has proven to be completely reliable.
Yeah, the JM930 is the benchmark mostly for price. I've actually shot Spara's Stoeger and I'm still pretty much in the Stoeger camp unless I stumble upon something used and Italian/Belgian. An LGS had a FN and a Beretta on the shelf last time I was there, but both were well over my price point.
It's slicked up since you last shot it. I polished the chamber, action bar, and the outside of the magtube. Installed a recoil reducer and a low power inertia spring. It runs 1150 FPS Winchester AAs reliably, so you can go fast with minimum recoil.

Update! The Silver Eagle cycles nicely, that is true...the only problem is that after a box of shells, its lightweight frame makes recoil as unpleasant as a pump action. The good news is that a friend didn’t have the same experience and was willing to buy it off of me for what I paid.

So...was again in the market for an SA Shotgun and on Thursday, I stumbled upon a gently used Mossberg 930 with a 28” ported barrel...actually for less than what I paid for the Silver Eagle.

Ran 150 shells of #7.5 birdshot (1350fps) through it this weekend with nary an issue other than discovering the previous owner had stuck a dowel rod in the magazine tube (presumably) to limit the capacity for Dove season last Fall.
LGC Texas - Vice President