Scoped .410?

Wanted to sanity check this idea. I’m going after squirrel and rabbits at a public spot 35 min from my house and 10 min from my lake place. Between that and having a job where I get weekdays off I’m pretty excited to get after some furry friends and may also get drawn for a hog hunt in the same area so scouting that for a month before as well.

The issue is the land only allows shot guns and nothing bigger than #4, which puts the trusty 22LR out of the picture. So to minimize meat wastage I figured on using a .410 (yet to be purchased) with 3 inch #4. Unfortunately the old eyes aren’t what they used to be and in order to get a good headshot sight picture I’m going to need a scope. I’m thinking 30-50 yards tops for effective range, but I can test that at the range. The questions I have:

When shopping for .410 is the choke going to have that much impact at that short a distance? Any recommendations?

As far as the scope could I just mount it and pattern the gun, then adjust to the densest shot pattern?

Am I totally out to lunch here?

Re: Scoped .410?

Or bounce a .45 long colt slug down that smoothbore.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

No slugs allowed, no larger than #4 in your possession. It’s not a high pressure area (lady said they had 4 people hunt the fall season) so probably not a great idea to flaunt any rules.

As far as the 20 gauge I’m thinking the least number of pellets the better. I’d basically be purpose building this gun for use in this area, which I probably wouldn’t do if it wasn’t so close/easy to access.

Does a red dot provide magnification?

OldBiff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:24 am Does a red dot provide magnification?
Generally, no. But there are exceptions to every rule. Burris Fastfire is commonly recommended for shotguns. You can go cheaper with an offering from Primary Arms or sky's the limit from makers such as Aimpoint or Trijicon. If just for hunting, I'd go cheaper. If for unwanted social occasions, I'd go more expensive. I'd love to have a .410 1100 some day.