Re: November 2009- Pistol Match- Win and Deck Out Your Ruger

Keecho wrote:I submitted my abysmal score for the postal match. I was tempted not to submit at all, but I think it's important to participate. Still, I feel compelled to write an excuse post:

1. This was the second time I've had a pistol shooting session, the first time with my new gun.
2. First time at this particular range.
3. I didn't have much time, so was a little rushed and didn't get much practice.
4. Whatever the trick to one-handed shooting is, I haven't figured it out yet. My hand was totally unstable.

I'm not going to bother submitting pictures of the targets since I am clearly not a threat to the prize. But don't get complacent, I'll keep practising and will soon dominate the postal matches. :twisted:

Seriously, I appreciate the effort of setting these matches up. Due to an unfortunate family situation it's hard for me to find time to do much of anything, including going shooting. The postal match provided the little extra motivation, the excuse to make the time. so I finally broke in the new gun at an unfamiliar range.

Keep the matches coming.
Hey Keecho,

Glad you got to get out and break in the new gun!!! This is exactly what the matches are for - to promote familiarity with your firearms. Glad to hear it is doing its job. Don't worry about submitting stuff unless you are the winner - and you never know. As long as Paladin doesn't enter, everyone has a chance.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Paladin wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:

It amuses me to think you do that at the range :)
No dumber than shooting shoes.
Shooting shoes? lolepic.

But seriously. Two points:

1. Paladin has a Duff beer avvy. Previous avvy: Paladin pounding beer.

B. Paladin is a postal match winning motherfucker.

As far as I'm concerned, dude can go to the range in a tutu and point shoes and still be one of the funniest, coolest guys here.

Shooting shoes? lolepic.

But seriously. Two points:

1. Paladin has a Duff beer avvy. Previous avvy: Paladin pounding beer.

B. Paladin is a postal match winning motherfucker.

As far as I'm concerned, dude can go to the range in a tutu and point shoes and still be one of the funniest, coolest guys here.

http://www.potfire.com.au/products/shoes.htm

Mark called be Surly so I had to change.

Not me pounding beer Shane MacGowan pounding Beer and Whiskey at the same time.

But thanks for the kind words.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

$240 for "shooting shoes"? I am sorry but that is f'in stupid. I have bought some pretty hi-tech shoes for various endeavors in my life that each had specific purposes (running, hiking, boating, etc) - and each, particularly the running shoes, had a long list of fancy innovations which made them good at their designated task. None were $240. Furthermore, what particular needs do you have for footwear at a range? They need to be good at.... um... standing? Maybe make em comfy and stable?

Just for clarity, I am not saying Paladin is stupid - I understand he was poking fun at these.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Simmer down wrote:I printed the 2 types of targets but don't understand much past 10meters. How many shots per target and how many targets?

5 shots per target use four targets total.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

I sent my embarrassing score of 118 in. Its been a long time since I shot my Ruger. Very light trigger, 6" tapered barrel. Its always been a good gun. The problem is now I can't see a .22 hole in the paper. Now that I'm thoroughly frustrated I might find some of those high visibility targets for my old eyes and try again or just stick to the .45

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:I sent my embarrassing score of 118 in. Its been a long time since I shot my Ruger. Very light trigger, 6" tapered barrel. Its always been a good gun. The problem is now I can't see a .22 hole in the paper. Now that I'm thoroughly frustrated I might find some of those high visibility targets for my old eyes and try again or just stick to the .45
Another reason to do the postal matches: keep you familiar with your weapons.

Don't worry about the score - you never can tell, you might get lucky. Of course, Paladin *is* competing.
- Lord Byron

We have a Winner!!!

Once again, Paladin, steals the show.

Paladin scored an impressive 184! And I have the target scans to prove it! I will post them later on tonight.

Paladin wins an impressive prize set this time thanks to our friends over at Bullseye Pistol Gear.

He gets:

1. a Clark "Customizing The Ruger Mark II Pistol" DVD !

But wait, that's not all!!! Oh no, this isn't just some every day, ordinary, contest. Despite the coolness of the DVD, Bullseye Pistol Gear will also give the winner

2. a $50 gift certificate to spend on *anything* on their Ruger page.

Congrats and thanks again to Bullseye for the great prizes!
- Lord Byron

And there was much rejoicing!

Though the new guy Sabot seems like he may be taking over. I would also like to see what Blackeagle could do. I think he forgot more about shooting...

—Joe Strummer

Simmer down wrote:I couldn't get that score if I cheated.
Ditto, the man is a machine.

I would love to see some of the guys like BE and richhudson give it a go..... I bet someone out there could give Paladin a run for his money. Right now, it isn't me.

Perhaps we should have some sort of shooting tourney at the meeting in July? Everyone using the same pistol, ammo - $5 per entry, winner gets 1/2 of pot, the club gets the other half :) If someone other than Paladin gets it, I will throw in a t-shirt.
- Lord Byron

Ok, I actually have Paladin's score as a 185 instead of his reported 184 - but your opinion may differ. Lets see the targets:

1. 47 points:
47 points Target 1.jpg

2. Paladin says its 48 points, I say its 49.

48 pts Target 2.jpg

3. 44 points:

44 pts Target 3.jpg

4. Paladin says its 45 points - its REAL close to being 46 points, but he is probably right.

45 pts Target 4.jpg

Either way, that is some nice shootin.
- Lord Byron