Pocket Shot... what could go wrong with this idea?

We've certainly all heard about the importance of a well-designed holster that covers the trigger for safe carry of safety-less pistols. So WTF were DeSantis smoking when they produced a holster that deliberately leaves the trigger exposed?
pocket shot.jpg
pocket shot.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
I promised in another thread to behave myself, so I'll refrain from making the predictable snark about "an accident waiting to happen in my pants." Oops.

Re: Pocket Shot... what could go wrong with this idea?

retrojoe wrote:I'm not certain of what this is accomplishing. Even if the the trigger were covered, it's not a holster that looks to provide quick access to the gun. It would be better to just make a grip that has a belt clip attached. In fact, I think someone makes a pocket pistol that does (not the NAA Mini Revolver). Bersa?
Kel-Tec has belt clips for their p-series.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:
retrojoe wrote:I'm not certain of what this is accomplishing. Even if the the trigger were covered, it's not a holster that looks to provide quick access to the gun. It would be better to just make a grip that has a belt clip attached. In fact, I think someone makes a pocket pistol that does (not the NAA Mini Revolver). Bersa?
Thanks! I'm at work and I don't like to spend too much time surfing gun websites so I couldn't track it down (even though I've made multiple Gunbroker purchases "on the job").
Squaring the Circle

It's a sort of copy of a holster for this little bugger...
Picture 1.png
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

designed to appear to be a wallet in the back pocket...
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (143.21 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/39
Looks to be the same idea, back pocket concealment ... quick access
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

MtnMan wrote:We've certainly all heard about the importance of a well-designed holster that covers the trigger for safe carry of safety-less pistols. So WTF were DeSantis smoking when they produced a holster that deliberately leaves the trigger exposed?
pocket shot.jpg
I promised in another thread to behave myself, so I'll refrain from making the predictable snark about "an accident waiting to happen in my pants." Oops.
So... one can try shooting at someone from inside a pants pocket? :hmmm: Which wouldn't allow the slide to operate or spent casing to extract properly. Plus it would be hard on your pants.

At best it hides the shape of the pistol when it imprints and keeps it oriented correctly in the pocket for quick access. That second hole for the middle finger looks like it would be difficult to access in a hurry while fishing around in a pocket or purse.

TxChinaman wrote:
So... one can try shooting at someone from inside a pants pocket? :hmmm: Which wouldn't allow the slide to operate or spent casing to extract properly. Plus it would be hard on your pants.

At best it hides the shape of the pistol when it imprints and keeps it oriented correctly in the pocket for quick access. That second hole for the middle finger looks like it would be difficult to access in a hurry while fishing around in a pocket or purse.
Actually, it looks like the slide can actuate properly on that pistol. Hot gasses, hot brass...definately no party in the pants that the gun is shot from.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I really think that it is designed to create the appearance of a wallet's imprint, rather than that of a pistol while in a back pocket, however I am pretty sure it is intended to be removed from the pocket before it's fired.

The holes look to be designed so that the pistol can be fired while remaining in the holster, which from a self defense perspective makes sense. If the holster itself is thick enough to prevent something from easily catching the trigger while being pocketed...maybe not such a bad idea...

like any other holster, you find out once it's yours.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

These guys have been around for a while now, but their product requires withdrawing the pistol from the holster.:
http://www.pocketholsters.com/

Since I first saw this design from Desantis, I have been wondering how they get around the fact that there is a provision in the NFA under the AOW (Any Other Weapon) heading that specifically regulates "wallet guns", or guns that fire from inside a holster that look like a wallet. It would seem that one could buy the pistol or the holster, but not have both for fear of running afoul of federal law. The tax stamp for an AOW is cheap (only $5), but the combination of that holster with a pistol without the stamp would seem to be a prescription for disaster should a knowledgeable LEO ever give you a close inspection.

Leaving the trigger exposed seems like a bad idea, but if it is the ONLY thing in the pocket, with as much as the holster is built up around it, I could see it being OK. The hole for the middle finger seems like it would be rather uncomfortable to hold, and probably doubly so to shoot. Even the smallest of these pistols usually allows at least two fingers on the grip, and for good reason.

As for the belt clips, Kel-Tec sells theirs for specific models, but you can get one from these guys for many more models:
http://www.clipdraw.com/
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

AmirMortal wrote:Since I first saw this design from Desantis, I have been wondering how they get around the fact that there is a provision in the NFA under the AOW (Any Other Weapon) heading that specifically regulates "wallet guns", or guns that fire from inside a holster that look like a wallet. It would seem that one could buy the pistol or the holster, but not have both for fear of running afoul of federal law. The tax stamp for an AOW is cheap (only $5), but the combination of that holster with a pistol without the stamp would seem to be a prescription for disaster should a knowledgeable LEO ever give you a close inspection.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember that Detonics ran into this issue back in the day. Could very well be that since the slide is exposed it doesn't fall under the current ATF rules.

ErikO wrote:
Got a belt clip on my Keltec P32...I also have a belt clip that goes on my 1911, but I stopped using it-too heavy!
I kind of think that holster is not legal in a lot of places...

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

rolandson wrote:It's a sort of copy of a holster for this little bugger...
Picture 1.png
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

designed to appear to be a wallet in the back pocket...
Picture 2.png
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/39
Looks to be the same idea, back pocket concealment ... quick access
Yes, the idea is that it looks like a wallet. The "holster" if you want to call it that, is really a means of concealment and a means of keeping the pistol upright for an easy draw.

Follow the rule of keeping the nose picker off the trigger until ready to fire and you'll be ok.

Let's see, middle finger through the hole, index on the trigger......where the hell is my ring finger...and two handed grips should be interesting.... So one handed the gun stays attached to me because I have a hole with a finger in it - but muzzle flip is bad on this gun and I can see you might end up with the gun pointing up after one shot.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.